• ...and so much more!
  • Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    Hello,

Long time member, but I've been lurking for several years now.

My wife's aunt's husband died several years ago and he left behind a small collection of firearms. One of them is an Inland M1 Carbine with a serial number below 1000000 which I understand places its manufacture between 5/1942 and 9/1943. I suppose that makes it a collector's item.

I was just wondering what I should tell her to do with it because first and foremost I don't want her to get screwed on value, but I don't know how to value it because of its condition. Any advice?ED0BBB5F-8940-4A51-9DC4-50B49138A32F.jpeg9598EAF3-04D1-49B4-913D-33603EEE50E4.jpeg3EAC935E-8B8B-4F48-A4F0-B51783BA6621.jpegE6FE0B31-52D3-445C-94A1-315E07CBF808.jpeg

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    Agree with the thoughts on rust control. That should be priority number one. It’s been many years since I was into M1 carbines, but it does appear to have some early features (peep sight, early barrel band with no bayo lug). Those can be pretty desirable. Depending on how many parts come back as original, that could be worth quite a bit when it gets cleaned up.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Hello,

My wife's aunt's husband died several years ago and he left behind a small collection of firearms. One of them is an Inland M1 Carbine with a serial number below 1000000 which I understand places its manufacture between 5/1942 and 9/1943. I suppose that makes it a collector's item.

I was just wondering what I should tell her to do with it because first and foremost I don't want her to get screwed on value, but I don't know how to value it because of its condition. Any advice?
    It looks like it WAS a nice one and STILL COULD be it it cleans up well

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Hello,

I was just wondering what I should tell her to do with it because first and foremost I don't want her to get screwed on value, but I don't know how to value it because of its condition. Any advice?

Given the photos provided and considering what I see at auctions, I think I would give $1000 for it in its current condition and feel like I was coming out ahead. As others have noted, if it cleans up nicely it could be worth quite a bit more than that. Rust is a funny thing, sometimes it leaves almost no damage behind, sometimes a lot.

If you do clean it, be very gentle. You can easily destroy the value by being overzealous. It's kind of hard to offer advice here. I am sure you could get more money for it if it was properly cleaned and offered to serious collectors. However, I have seen so many collectible guns destroyed by overzealous cleaning that I would prefer your aunt sell it in its current condition to somebody that knows what they are doing. Just my $.02.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Unless you or someone you know, knows about restoration “and” you don’t want to pay for that. Then ^^^^^^^. Good luck with your decision.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    It has a rare "I" cut stock so it is probably a "I" cut high wood. That is a early feature. very desirable to collectors.Along with the rear "flip" site and having no bayonet lug.The top hand guard is the two rivet type. Again, early carbine features.Flat bolt which is indicative of WWII era M1 carbines. If you remove the top hand guard it should have a IO stamped on it on bottom. IO is the most common Inland marking. Inland made the most M1 carbines during WWII. To include the paratrooper folding stock version and ONLY Inland made the paratrooper version. All these are good things. The sling however is Korean war vintage. How do i know that? WWII vintage slings have the "C" shaped metal tips on the ends. Your sling is solid metal which is indicative of post WWII carbine slings. Does it have any car-touches stamped in the wood? either on the stock or in the sling bevel in the stock? if you take the gun apart it should be IO marked in about all the internal parts. Cleaned up and if all parts are Inland. I would say value at between $1400-$1800. Hope this info helps. if you want more ID help PM me. Good luck.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    It has a rare "I" cut stock so it is probably a "I" cut high wood. That is a early feature. very desirable to collectors.Along with the rear "flip" site and having no bayonet lug.The top hand guard is the two rivet type. Again, early carbine features.Flat bolt which is indicative of WWII era M1 carbines. If you remove the top hand guard it should have a IO stamped on it on bottom. IO is the most common Inland marking. Inland made the most M1 carbines during WWII. To include the paratrooper folding stock version and ONLY Inland made the paratrooper version. All these are good things. The sling however is Korean war vintage. How do i know that? WWII vintage slings have the "C" shaped metal tips on the ends. Your sling is solid metal which is indicative of post WWII carbine slings. Does it have any car-touches stamped in the wood? either on the stock or in the sling bevel in the stock? if you take the gun apart it should be IO marked in about all the internal parts. Cleaned up and if all parts are Inland. I would say value at between $1400-$1800. Hope this info helps. if you want more ID help PM me. Good luck.
    Great research, thanks

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Blue Wonder rust remover, 0000 steel wool, and some elbow grease will take off most rust with minimal time and effort. Anything beyond that, I'd leave alone.

Top Bottom