• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    i don't know i'm kinda on the fence about that one. not that the handlers mistreat the dogs, but having spent some time around a few of them(dogs....well mabey the handlers too) i would be a bit learyy to have one

just my $0.02

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    having worked with dog handlers in kuwait , ellsworth afb, and having a neighbor who had an adopted mwd i have some expirence. some of those dogs are just nuts. i am not saying anything bad about the handlers or the dogs or the concept of mwd's. but i would really think before i looked into adopting one.

i think it would have to do partially with the bond developed between a dog and master early. i have had 3 german sheppards over the last 20 years. the first and 3rd we got as soon as they were weaned and they have bonded with family and friends easily. the second was almost a year old when we got her and we just never really connected with her. i know no two dogs are the same, but it seems like the early bonding is very helpful.

i also have concerns with their social skills. having children i wouldnt want one as SOME of the dogs were very irritable. and we know how irritating kids can be.

and lets be honest, i know they have an application process to attain a dog, but idiots always slip through the cracks, and a stupid person with a WELL trained dog can be a dangerous thing. i have a friend who was apolice officer in a smallillinoise town and while responding to a domestic dispute had to deal with a washout dog(too violent) and after 11 rounds of 40cal and a new pair of underwear he had a scary story. a 3x felon had the dog. just as dangerous as a gun.(i know this is the most extreme of situations)

the idea of finding homes for the dogs is great, but i would be a bit leary. i know i'm missing concrete facts, but from real world expirence with theese dogs, unless the person adopting was VERY competent it could be dangerous.

i have been wrong before(too many times to count) and am not ashmed of being proven wrong, but i am just not really sold on the idea. (hell they are still far more safe than a pit bull)

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    You are right, some of them are nuts or one-person dogs which is why these dogs are tested and evaluated before being deemed adoptable. I am actively involved with GSDs and I can only think of a couple dogs that I would not trust around my kids.

If a person wants a trained dog for malicious purposes, all they'd have to do is run an internet search; sellers are plentiful.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    You are right, some of them are nuts or one-person dogs which is why these dogs are tested and evaluated before being deemed adoptable. I am actively involved with GSDs and I can only think of a couple dogs that I would not trust around my kids.

If a person wants a trained dog for malicious purposes, all they'd have to do is run an internet search; sellers are plentiful.

(+100) Exactly right!!! And if this group runs like most GSD rescue groups, it will refuse to place a biter. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I would adopt MWD in a heart beat, but due to my work schedule and the lack of a fenced in yard (I have a big yard, just not fenced), I don't feel I could offer one a good home.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    munky, my german shepherd showed up as a stray at something a year or older, she's by far the most devoted dog I've ever had, and while very territorial, she won't really bite. She seems to like sitting beside me when I am target shooting in the yard too, a possible PD washout???

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    i will say that imho a german sheppard is about the best dog you could get hands down. ours now is a pleasure to be around, great with my 2, 4, and 9 year old, he is'nt gunshy, and smarter than my wife (if only he could balance the checkbook he would be perfect)

Top Bottom