• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    RED added for emphasis. I really feel sorry for the citizens of England.
    No guns, no knifes and no TVs to monitor them!

Source: Britain to Install CCTV Cameras in Private Homes - Tom's Guide

The British government has announced plans to install CCTV cameras in 20,000 UK homes.

The UK government this week announced that it will spend £400 million ($668 million) on the installation and monitoring of CCTV cameras citizens in their own homes. Aimed at problem or antisocial families, the cameras are there to make sure children go to bed on time, eat well balanced meals and do their homework.
    Already in operation in roughly 2,000 homes, the Daily Express reports that these Family Intervention Projects cost between £5,000 and £20,000 per family and include private security guards who conduct home checks on the families.
    The news comes just a couple of weeks after Amazon.com's decision to delete copies of 1984 and Animal Farm from customers' Kindles in what the media described as an Orwellian move. You guys reacted pretty strongly to that story, so what are your thoughts on this? Do you think it’s the government's place to police parenting and ensure children don't go astray or do you think this is the government sticking its nose in where it doesn't belong? Let us know!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    That's about as close to 1984 as you can get...:rolleyes:
    1984.jpg

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Soon, after they get the health care oppression passed, families will begin to get taxed extra for being high risk of anything...
    Overweight? Fat tax.
    Smoke? Super high tax.
    etc...

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    WTF? It's like they read 1984 actually thought it sounded like a good idea. Almost like it's their play-book. Maybe the end-goal is "everyone belongs to everyone". Oh brave new world...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Thats seriously disturbing. Talk about a Nanny State! They literally intend to monitor if kids go to bed on time?? Or what!!??

"The news comes just a couple of weeks after Amazon.com's decision to delete copies of 1984 and Animal Farm from customers' Kindles in what the media described as an Orwellian move."

Does Amazon.com no longer sell 1984 or Animal Farm? Anybody have a news link about that?

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    WTF? It's like they read 1984 actually thought it sounded like a good idea. Almost like it's their play-book. Maybe the end-goal is "everyone belongs to everyone". Oh brave new world...

Reminds me of the Star Trek episode where they went to a planet that had the book on the mobsters of the 20's... monkey see monkey do.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Some more links on it:
    Daily Express | UK News :: Sin bins for worst families

However, the man in charge says its bullocks:

Twitter / Ed Balls: @Moncky: the idea we are p ...

Whats really mind-boggling is the comments from the readers. Most think its a good idea, but think the cameras will get smashed:

"not sure about the CCTV, but this seems like a lot better way to spend the money, than on police, jail, and court costs etc as some point later on down the road. If it avoids that it might be worth it."

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Thats seriously disturbing. Talk about a Nanny State! They literally intend to monitor if kids go to bed on time?? Or what!!??

"The news comes just a couple of weeks after Amazon.com's decision to delete copies of 1984 and Animal Farm from customers' Kindles in what the media described as an Orwellian move."

Does Amazon.com no longer sell 1984 or Animal Farm? Anybody have a news link about that?
    Looks like they still sell it to me:
    Amazon.com: Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984): George Orwell: The Kindle Store

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Here is the article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

Amazon's reason for deleting (they later admitted they should not have)is that the seller did NOT hae the digital rights to re-sell those books.

In addition the digital rights to the books is held by DIFFERENT companies for the US and ENGLAND. I think at this time you can get the book in S but not in ENGLAND via the UK Amazon site. There is a pending class action lawsuit over the deletion of files going on right now.

@ jsgolfman
    The comments from the readers is not a shock or suprise. It has taken several generations of UKer to get programmed into thinking like this. Do you really think the young lads and ladies that fought in WW II for the KING of ENGLAND would have allowed this? No way. It was their offspring and grand children that dropped the ball and allowed more and more of their freedoms to be taen in the name of security.

That last GREAT GENERATION both in England and the US I fear is wondering why on earth they fough the great war only to see their offsprings toss away eveyrthing they fought for!!

ALL THT SACRAFICE THY MADE AND OUR GENERATION IS TO STIPUD TO UNDERSTAND AND CHERRISH IT!!!!!
    :xmad:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    "Captain, while monitoring camera G67, I noticed young Edmund did not fold his toilet paper."
    "And, just what DID he do?"
    "Sir, he wadded it up like a ball."
    "Private, get me StrikeDown Team 8. We must put an end to this chaos right NOW."
    :popcorn:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I'll say it again, Britain is about 10 years ahead of us; but, we are catching up really quickly. How else would the world's most powerful countries become weak and pathetic? Change it from within, don't fight them head on.

Look at Tyler's post on that ex-KGB agent and his 4 steps.j

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    :facepalm: If that isn't cause for revolt I don't know what is. Actually, Parliment should have been ended in the 1900's, but I guess If you like your life dictated to you move to England or NK or China....

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :facepalm: If that isn't cause for revolt I don't know what is. Actually, Parliment should have been ended in the 1900's, but I guess If you like your life dictated to you move to England or NK or China....

Out of those 3 I think the UK is the worse. u c NK ad China they do the bad stuff in the face of the world and the world complains about it. K on the other hand does it and nobody thinks it's bad... It's accepted.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That last GREAT GENERATION both in England and the US I fear is wondering why on earth they fough the great war only to see their offsprings toss away eveyrthing they fought for!!

Or, as I view it: That last 'great' generation is wondering why they raised the baby boomers as they did to vote blindly, repeatedly, for career politicians who have thoroughly raped the freedoms their parents fought to preserve...

But, that's just how I view it...

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I've read both ways (that this true AND this is bunk) So I messaged a few of my "contacts" over there and I'll post up what they have to say.

Top Bottom