• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I'm not a target shooter. I usually shoot just for defensive reasons. :) I do sitting position with my Colt 6920 with IRON sights and I'm doing a very good grouping and the occasional bullseye. What's is a good 5 shot grouping in your opinion?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    To hone your marksmanship skills at 50 yards the group should be as tight as you can make them. Not trying to be a smart arse, but the best you can do is the best you can do. With a 6920 I would expect a guy to be able to cover his group with a quarter or come darn close to it at 50 yards depending on the ammo used. Match ammo is going to be different than bulk blasting ammo.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Yeah, I would say shooting m193 at 50 yards... you can't expect much. I'm putting up pretty tight groups with irons while sitting without a sling and even tighter with. I was just curious.

I don't bench shoot. I do kneeling, sitting, prone, and standing.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had a firearms instructor once tell me: If you can put an object such as a coin or even a small plate and cover all your rounds.......you aren't shooting fast enough.

Now obviously he was talking about SD/Combat type shooting where having a pretty group doesn't mean you win.

With that being said, I was introduced to this drill by one of my best friends and also a firearms instructor. At 7 yards fire one round anywhere you want on the target. Now follow up with the rest of the mag with that first hole being your aim point. The goal is to have only one hole but at the minimum keyhole the rounds so all the holes are at least touching Do that for a few mags then see if your further range shooting hasn't improved. Never tried it with a rifle though.

:patriot:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I had a firearms instructor once tell me: If you can put an object such as a coin or even a small plate and cover all your rounds.......you aren't shooting fast enough.

Now obviously he was talking about SD/Combat type shooting where having a pretty group doesn't mean you win.

With that being said, I was introduced to this drill by one of my best friends and also a firearms instructor. At 7 yards fire one round anywhere you want on the target. Now follow up with the rest of the mag with that first hole being your aim point. The goal is to have only one hole but at the minimum keyhole the rounds so all the holes are at least touching Do that for a few mags then see if your further range shooting hasn't improved. Never tried it with a rifle though.

Good stuff, fpd. Yeah, when we did firearms class at our local reserve academy, we spent a lot of time with dot drills and doing the same thing you had listed above. I think it's easier with pistol because you can see where the rounds are hitting. At 50 yards, even my young eyes can barely make out hits on those sticker targets that show yellow where you hit them. I just go for the center of the target and concentrate. I was getting some tight groups with some bullseye hits, I've had 2-3 rounds out of five come close to touching.

Part of our qualification had the last section at 10 yards after standing shots, we reload and walk towards the target while firing off our last mag as fast as possible. I was just looking at the front sight the whole time... it was actually fun qualifying, lol.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Good stuff, fpd. Yeah, when we did firearms class at our local reserve academy, we spent a lot of time with dot drills and doing the same thing you had listed above. I think it's easier with pistol because you can see where the rounds are hitting. At 50 yards, even my young eyes can barely make out hits on those sticker targets that show yellow where you hit them. I just go for the center of the target and concentrate. I was getting some tight groups with some bullseye hits, I've had 2-3 rounds out of five come close to touching.

Part of our qualification had the last section at 10 yards after standing shots, we reload and walk towards the target while firing off our last mag as fast as possible. I was just looking at the front sight the whole time... it was actually fun qualifying, lol.

For rifle work I have found if you are using sillohete targets, use the small outline in the upper left as your target point.....obviously depending on backdrop and I do that when looking for accuracy drills only.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    For rifle work I have found if you are using sillohete targets, use the small outline in the upper left as your target point.....obviously depending on backdrop and I do that when looking for accuracy drills only.

Thanks for the advice, fpd. I'll definitely give that a try. :)

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I consider this a good target...

Target3.jpg

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    50 yards, standing, rapid fire, I would say if you can keep them inside a paper plate you are doing good.

These things.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    4 MOA is the Military standard
    so 2" or less @ 50 yards should be no problem anything less is a bonus with a battle rifle

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you are not shooting 4 moa or less with your rifle with iron sights and ball ammo, come to an Appleseed and we will teach you how. If you don't know what MOA means, come to an Appleseed and learn.....

That is part of what we are about. You will learn more if you show up...

Are you a cook or a rifleman?

regards

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Always late to the party.

Slow deliberate fire: 4MOA

Someone across the street shooting at you: Accurate enough to make him stop.

They might be one and the same, but probably not.

Come to an Appleseed for the first. Go to an ACT class for the second. But do both, they are both tools in the toolbelt.

Top Bottom