• BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Newsmax.com

Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:42 PM

NEW YORK — ABC anchor John Stossel, a libertarian whose work earned him fiercely loyal fans at the same time he caused headaches for the network, is jumping to Fox.

He's trading a much bigger platform for the promise of more time on the air. Stossel will have a weekly show on the Fox Business Network, exploring libertarianism and consumer issues, and make frequent appearances on Fox News Channel, the network said on Thursday.

Stossel's regular "Give Me a Break" segments prodded at groupthink, and he wrote best-selling books under that name and "Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity." Yet activists have called for his firing, and the network compelled him to apologize for a 2000 report questioning the safety of organic produce.

A year later, Stossel had to film new interviews after parents objected to their children being interviewed for a show on what they were taught about the environment. Stossel said the parents were "brainwashed" by his environmental critics.

"I'm grateful to ABC for allowing me to do stories that challenged conventional wisdom, and occasionally enraged many of its viewers," Stossel said in a blog posting. "But it's been said that everyone should change jobs every seven years. I've been at ABC for 28 years."

He said he wanted to explore the concepts of liberty and limited government. "Fox offers me more airtime and a new challenge," he said.

Stossel had complained on his blog earlier this summer when a story he did on Canadian health care was temporarily shelved for Michael Jackson coverage on the week of the pop star's death. The story ran later.

Stossel also carved out a specialty in family issues. Two of his ABC specials, "Teens: What Makes Them Tick" and "Love, Lust and Marriage" finished in Nielsen Media Research's top 10 in the weeks they were aired in the late 1990s.

Roger Ailes, Fox News chairman and CEO, said Stossel "has done meaningful and important work throughout his career. His thoughtful and charismatic style has carved a unique niche in the world of television."

Before he became an anchor on "20/20," Stossel was a consumer reporter on ABC's "Good Morning America" and on CBS' New York affiliate.

Stossel follows other former ABC journalists Brit Hume and Chris Wallace in moving to Fox.

ABC said in a statement that "we will miss him."

Welcome to FOX John!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The Huffington Post is reporting that ABC is losing another journalist.
    John Stossel Leaving ABC For Fox Business & Fox News
    digg stumble reddit del.ico.us
    John Stossel Leaving ABC For Fox Business & Fox News

First Posted: 09-10-09 01:38 PM | Updated: 09-10-09 02:47 PM

John Stossel is leaving ABC News for Fox, where he'll host a weekly show on Fox Business and host a series of specials for Fox News.

TVNewser reports that the libertarian "20/20" host is expected to sign a multi-year-deal with Fox, where he'll host a two-hour weekly show on Fox Business and make appearances on Fox News in both the daytime and primetime hours.

Stossel's departure comes on the heels of last week's announcement that Charlie Gibson is retiring from ABC News.

ABC released the following statement on Stossel's departure:
    John has been an important part of the ABC News family for decades and we will miss him. He has engaged, and occasionally enraged, our audience with thought provoking opinions and analysis. John is a unique figure in American journalism and will be an asset to Fox News in this next chapter of his terrific career. We wish John the very best and look forward to hearing his take on the great issues of the day from his new home at Fox.

The NY Times reported it a bit differently:
    John Stossel Leaving ABC for Fox Business

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/11/business/media/11fox.html
    By BRIAN STELTER
    Published: September 10, 2009
    John Stossel, the ABC anchor known for his libertarian bent, is moving to the Fox Business Network to host a weekly prime-time program. He will also make regular appearances on the Fox News Channel.

A fierce and sometimes controversial contrarian, Mr. Stossel is perhaps best known for his watchdog reports, “Give Me a Break.” He has been a correspondent for the ABC newsmagazine “20/20” for almost 30 years, and a co-anchor of it for six years.

Mr. Stossel’s hiring is an important one for the two-year-old Fox Business, which is seeking more viewers and wider cable distribution. Last week the network, a unit of News Corporation, said it would start to simulcast Don Imus’s radio show in October.

Mr. Stossel will start work in October, and his weekly program, named “Stossel,” will begin sometime in the fourth quarter. Fox said “Stossel” would include news segments and conversations about “libertarian issues in the United States and abroad,” including free-market economics and civil liberties.

In a post on his ABC blog, Mr. Stossel said he wanted to “dig into the meaning of the words ‘liberty’ and ‘limited government’ ” on the program.

“ABC enabled me to do some of that, but Fox offers me more air time and a new challenge,” he added.

In a statement, ABC News wished Mr. Stossel well and said he would be “an asset to Fox News in this next chapter of his terrific career.”

Mr. Stossel publicly fumed after ABC chose to run a report in late June about Michael Jackson’s death instead of a segment he had prepared about the dangers of government-run health care systems. “I am sick of the coverage of Michael Jackson,” he wrote in a blog post. The segment was eventually shown four weeks later.

Yup, in that last part of the NYTimes they admit that he is a journalist with integrity (in a backhanded way).

When Chris Matthews shifted to MSNBC did any of the media reports indicate he was a whinny little turd who would shill for the Democrats? But the media reports about Stossel are quick to point out his Libertarian beliefs.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Great move John... Welcome home!

I disagree. He stood out as a great counterpoint at ABC, where the background was all liberals. Now he'll just contribute to the overall confusion that leads people to the erroneous belief that libertarians are a subset of Republicans.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I disagree. He stood out as a great counterpoint at ABC, where the background was all liberals. Now he'll just contribute to the overall confusion that leads people to the erroneous belief that libertarians are a subset of Republicans.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I guess a silver lining could be that Fox has Napolitano and Stossel in the stable now. Seems to be a lot of Republicans "discovering" liberty after getting wiped the last election cycle...kind of interesting to watch.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bikemannc
    Top Bottom