• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I took the course to avoid the state bureaucrat rider's test. I had already rode dirt bikes and street bikes for years so the course was painfully boring for me. We literally had to sit on the bikes and push them across the lots before we ever got to start it. Great for beginners but if your only purpose is to get your endorsement, you'll be bored. I used to hop on my dad's Honda 750 four when I was 15 and ride 15 miles in to town to eat. I was about 160# and 5'8".

There's nothing cheaper about buying a bike. Insurance is high and parts are expensive.
    Now is the time to buy a bike as people are broke and the economy is down. I'd look for a single cylinder 500 or similar if you want one real cheap. That way you don't have multiple carbs, etc. Try to find something with decent tires as well. A new rear tire installed can easily go over $200.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Welcome to the world of motorcycling. It's not a hobby. It's not a sport. It's life. Live it.

The BRC should just be the beginning. Get, and read, Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Practice what you learn. (Hough helped create the MSF rider courses.) Get a copy of the Ride Like A Pro DVD. Watch it, then practice some more.

Learn some basic mechanics. You really need to be able to take the wheels off, and change the brake pads. If it's belt or chain driven you need to be able to make adjustments. You need to be able to change the oil and filter. Same for cleaning or changing the air filter(s). None of this is actually hard. Sure, you can pay someone else to do it, but then you're at their mercy.

Find a riding forum. It's nice to be able to get advice from folks with similar bikes. I've been a member of VentureRider.org for years. We have regular local Meet & Eats. (I host several every year, all riders on all brands are welcome.) We have regional rallys, and an annual International Rally. This year it's at Cody, Wyoming - gonna ride the Beartooth again! We've made some of our very best friends there. Many have become family.

Above all, enjoy. Like most of life, it is what you make of it.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Get, and read, Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Practice what you learn. (Hough helped create the MSF rider courses.) Get a copy of the Ride Like A Pro DVD. Watch it, then practice some more.

:+1: Excellent info above!

Also, the guy who taught me to ride was a real stickler for learning loooow speeed riding. It made me crazy and I wanted to go go go at first. But all that time spent learning to control a motorcylce at slow speed (when you are doing all the work of balancing the bike rather than relying on the bike's movement to do it) and learning to use the entire range of the bars (the tightest figure eights the bike would do at very low speed) saved me from dumping my bike on more than one occasion when more experienced riders who hadn't done that work had to pick theirs up!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I've been telling the wife for years that I want to take the ABATE course and get a bike. She's never had an issue with me wanting to do it (she wants to be able to ride with me). It might actually happen this year, but I'm not counting my chickens...

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I've been telling the wife for years that I want to take the ABATE course and get a bike...

Getting mine was in response to a little mid-life crisis after, like you, I had gone years and years saying, "someday..." Then one day, my husband was talking about something he had always wanted to do, "But the time for that has passed," he said. This really stayed with me, gnawing at me, and I started counting all the things that had been on my "bucket list" that will probably never happen now. Within a month, I was learning to ride... a few months later, I had my Aero!

Don't wait! Just do it! :)

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Trust me, it's not a lack of desire, or a someday issue. It's a priorities come first issue. It just might be, however, that this becomes a priority this time. But again, counting chickens and all.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Congrats on signing up. You have gotten a lot of good info. Let me just add that by taking the course not only are you learning, but you will get an insurance break for having gone thru a motorcyle training course rather than just getting the endorsement at the BMV skills test. The insurance break will literally pay for the cost of the class.
    Having been a Hamilton County officer and Region 11 officer (the nine county area around Indy) for most of the 16 years of my ABATE membership I can provide info for anyone who may have additional questions.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Having been a Hamilton County officer and Region 11 officer (the nine county area around Indy) for most of the 16 years of my ABATE membership I can provide info for anyone who may have additional questions.

While I strongly recommend the course I do not recommend joining ABATE. I'm concerned that I'm not being fair. I joined, then dropped them twenty years ago due to overwhelmingly obnoxious brand prejudice. Has ABATE gotten over it? As a long time MRF member I'd like to rejoin the local rights organization, but am concerned about old issues.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    While I strongly recommend the course I do not recommend joining ABATE. I'm concerned that I'm not being fair. I joined, then dropped them twenty years ago due to overwhelmingly obnoxious brand prejudice. Has ABATE gotten over it? As a long time MRF member I'd like to rejoin the local rights organization, but am concerned about old issues.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject.

I personally ride a Goldwing. Many of those who I ride with ride brands other than Harleys. That is one of the mythes I have been preaching against for years. Many people think ABATE is made up of all Harley riders, but that is far from the truth. Come on out and join us at a meeting and see what we are all about. We actually encourage people to attend a few meetings prior to joining to see if what we have to offer is what you may be looking for.
    ABATE is a motorcyclist's rights organization which also teaches motorcyclist safety courses. We do on a state level what MRF and AMA do on a national level.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    ABATE is not (at least not currently) brand biased. The Exec. Director rides a Yamaha, their magazine editor rides a BMW, and they have a show/display bike that is some sort of sport bike. For those that have taken the BRC in the past, they offer an Advanced Rider Course that you take on your own bike. It is only a one day class and it helps you to hone your skills on the bike that you actually ride.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    ... That is one of the mythes I have been preaching against for years. ...

Twenty years ago it wasn't a myth. None the less, things do change over time.

ABATE is not (at least not currently) brand biased...

Thanks for the info guys. I just went to the ABATE web site and got a joint membership for my wife and myself. I'll give 'em another chance.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Get your permit now, so that you can get your M endorsement as soon as possible after the class.
    THIS!!! It will make your life easier!
    ABATE is not (at least not currently) brand biased. The Exec. Director rides a Yamaha, their magazine editor rides a BMW, and they have a show/display bike that is some sort of sport bike. For those that have taken the BRC in the past, they offer an Advanced Rider Course that you take on your own bike. It is only a one day class and it helps you to hone your skills on the bike that you actually ride.
    I took my BRC through MSF does that matter? I would really like to take the advance course, and would like to become an instructor at some point, but I don't think MSF does very much around IN and is not as prevalent as ABATE.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I took my BRC through MSF does that matter? I would really like to take the advance course, and would like to become an instructor at some point, but I don't think MSF does very much around IN and is not as prevalent as ABATE.

ABATE administers the MSF courses in Indiana.

If you want to take the Experienced Rider Course, just sign up. You can get details here.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I've taken the ERC (Experienced Rider Course) twice and it's a great class to consider taking next. You use your own bike and learn several valuable things including recovering from a rear wheel lock up.

When you start riding you will find you never stop learning.

INLIKEFLYNN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Speedway
    Good luck and enjoy. I agree this class is a basic or beginner course, so if you have ridden before it might seem kinda boring. I will promise, you will learn something that will save your life. Some of the concepts that are taught are very simple, but when only seconds count (or less), simple is great. 2 wheels are great, but you will learn very quickly that you are invisible, no matter what color you wear, how loud your pipes are, flashing lights, horns, waving, or screaming...people are stupid when it comes to driving in general so, keep the shiny side up and ride on brother.

Top Bottom