• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I brought 7677 and his co-instructor Han to Indianapolis for a one day point shooting class. Personally, I didn't have any formal training using threat focused or point shooting techniques and was very curious how they would benefit my training. From prior training (force on force) it was apparent that sight usage at the 3-7 yd line was not likely in a defensive situation where you were behind the reactionary curve and moving. After shooting on static ranges for years constant movement is somewhat of a foreign concept for many. Practicing IDPA also makes you want to slow down and pie any type of cover which in the real world may turn out to be concealment and get you killed.

• We started with two round bursts, two handed aimed fire from a low ready at 7 yds. in order for the instructors to get a baseline on the students.
    • Repeated the drill at 5 yds. from the holster.
    • While focusing on a dot in the high chest area the gun was raised from a low ready with focus on the dot with a slight pause before and after the shot.
    • Repeat with two shot bursts.
    • We then repeated the above using one hand.
    • We then put put alternate feet forward as we raised the gun to fire. It is doubtful that in a real life confrontation you will be in a perfect stance so it is necessary to practice from differing foot positions.
    • Repeat the drill shooting 3-6 rd. bursts.
    • The instructors then taught us Elbow up/Elbow down which is the fastest way to employ your weapon at very close range.
    • Then the fun started when we started to move in, backwards and to the oblique of the target starting at 7 yds.
    • Pivot shots were practiced. It is important that you pivot and move into the target rather than swinging your arm into the transition due to over-swinging past the threat.
    • Marching drill- Student would walk in front of a bank of varied targets set at different angles so it would be necessary to pivot and advance on the target to make the shot. Using one and two hands.
    • Practiced shooting through the draw stroke and zippering the target up the center-line of the body.
    • We discussed retention and what positions (point shoulder, 3/4 hip or Elbow up/Elbow down) were optimal for different distances depending on the situation.
    • Then we focused on drills and scenarios to encourage the students to keep moving. It was easy to slip into the old static positions but the instructors did a great job of staying on us and muttering less than wonderful consequences of stopping or slowing down.
    I am sure I have left important things out but this gives you an idea of how the course was structured. IMHO, threat focused shooting is a very important skill-set to include in your tool box. Not once did the instructors recommend using point shooting exclusively and recommended sighted fire if you have the time.

We had ten very enthusiastic participants in the class and gauging by their comments after-wards we will be bringing 7677 and Han back next year for a two day class.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom