First off, I picked these up that someone left;

DII_6980Pw_zpsafa02147.jpg

Somebody thought the ammo might belong to buzzined. :dunno:

For those that missed it;

DII_6957Pw_zpsf919d1da.jpg

:eek:

Mr. Pink and Mr Anti Pink;

DII_6959Pw_zpsbb6bef27.jpg

A big thanks to KLB for the suppressor!!

DII_6923Pw_zps51b112db.jpg

:D

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Another great M&S!!

First off, I picked these up that someone left;

DII_6980Pw_zpsafa02147.jpg

Somebody thought the ammo might belong to buzzined. :dunno:

For those that missed it;

DII_6957Pw_zpsf919d1da.jpg

:eek:

Mr. Pink and Mr Anti Pink;

DII_6959Pw_zpsbb6bef27.jpg

A big thanks to KLB for the suppressor!!

DII_6923Pw_zps51b112db.jpg

:D

Yes the ammo was mine I let someone use it to shoot the GSG it like 1200fps + apperently he didn't put it back on my table. No big deal you can just use them up Nipprdog.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    tv, I somehow missed getting shots of you shooting your M1A, but got this cool shot with the round in the air;

DII_6941Pw_zpscfb05fb3.jpg

PM me your email address, and I'll send you the full size version.

:ingo:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Another rare shot of Jedi shooting something that uses Glock mags, my JR carbine;

DII_6945Pw_zpsc086e0aa.jpg

Of course, I had to install the mag. And when he was done, he held the rifle over the table, and hit the mag release button. I wish I had video of that. :D

Maybe someone will bring a Mech-Tec carbine to a M&S, and we'll get a pic of him gripping a GLOCK. :rockwoot:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Another rare shot of Jedi shooting something that uses Glock mags, my JR carbine;

DII_6945Pw_zpsc086e0aa.jpg

Of course, I had to install the mag. And when he was done, he held the rifle over the table, and hit the mag release button. I wish I had video of that. :D

Maybe someone will bring a Mech-Tec carbine to a M&S, and we'll get a pic of him gripping a GLOCK. :rockwoot:

For someone that hates GLOCK :puke: with a passion, he sure handles an awful lot of GLOCK :wwub: equipment.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Who lost Jedi? Not a peep from him yet?

a. He got lost on the way home.

b. His van is up on blocks in the lot at the range (Winamac) and he can't get a cell phone signal to call for help.

c. He's in lock-up at the fashion police HQ.

d. He saw a goth girl driving east on Rt30, thought it was T-Star, and is currently out near Warsaw trying to talk his way out of a biker bar.

On the other hand ...

Could be something serious. He's usually on by now. Anyone see him leave?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi's AAR

--FINANCIAL UPDATE--
    Pre-Event Pot: $67.62 (Jedi as of 22 SEP 2012)
    Expenses: $57 Plywood x 5 sheets *
    Donations: $68 (bill b, ghostofwinter, garagegunmaker, nipprdog, subtelsixer03, and ??unknown?? x 1)
    Post-Event Pot: $78.62

Thanks to everyone that donated for the plywood. This month we took a BIG hit in the cost of plywood. DarkKevin could not find it for cheaper than $13 a sheet!!!

*DarkKevin actually spent $67 and change for the plywood but only took $57 as he donated $10 in plywood.

The plywood is only lasting 1 week at the 25 and 50 yard while it last 2 weeks on the 100 and 200 yard. They were down to 1 sheet before our donation today.

--FOOD UPDATE--
    I'm sorry on the bread issue. The member that was bringing the bread arrived very late so the son of mrobnoxious1 volunteered to drive to Winamac and bring us bread. ShootinDave and mrobnoxious1 gave him money and he took off. We asked him to bring burger and hot dog buns but
    he only returned with burger bun. So he went back a second time for hot dog buns!

The biggest concern I had was time wise since the range is now on winter hours and we MUST leave by 4PM CST. We need to bring a watch next time cause out cellphones keep jumping between CST and EST and it's a mess to try and tell what time it is. Case in point we still had 1 hour left when we were rushing to clean up and leave.

In any case back to the food. Here is what I have left over for next shoot.

• 2 cases of bottle water minus 2 from each case
    • 21 cans of coke, diet coke and Mountain Dew (combined)
    • burger buns 5 packs of 16 each = 80 buns
    • hot dog buns 3 packs of 16 each & 1 8 pack = 56 buns
    • 2 box of rice crispy treats
    • 2 bags of chips
    • pepper jack and "regular" American cheese**

Needless to say we will not need any buns for next month. I will just freeze these and we are good to go.

** One of the kids called it "regular" cheese.

Thank you for all the food donations. For desert we had a slew of cookies, some mini donuts and off course cupcakes by t_star! (t-star was not there but darkkevin brought them on her behalf!). GhostofWinter and LadyGhost brought :bacondance: and also :bacondance: jerky as well. So we were covered on the front. :drool:

A big and special thank you to shootindave and mrobnoxious1 for bringing the big grills. That made cooking the burger and bacon much faster! Also a huge thank you to ladyghost, shootindave, and KLB for helping with the cooking. LadyGhost handled the bacon, shootindave the burgers and KLB helped me for a bit on the hot dogs while I went to go get our guest of honor.

---THE RANGE---
    It was cold in the morning but standing in the sun helped as did standing next to the grills. Still by mid-day it was nice and sunny and very little wind. No bugs this time around either. We took up the middle and far right side of the 25 yard range and had some members on the 50 yard as well as 100 yard.

The 50 and 100 yard was very busy today with the general public. Looks like lots of people sighting in their rifles. :dunno: upcoming hunting season perhaps?

At the time that we started cooking we had 33 people and after the food was done we had 4 late comers show up so I say 37 for the day. Not bad for a Sunday and one so late in the season.

--NEW GUEST--
    We had 2 young boys at the event this time that had a blast with their dad. Also repeater brought his mom as well (new shooter??) and she tried quiet a few of the handguns. I saw a few other young ones in the mix either looking or shooting as well but don't recall who they were with.

--SPECIAL EVENTS--
    We held 2 competitions again: pistol and rifle.

Pistol Results
    1st place was tv1217 (Won an INGO cap)
    2nd place was ShootinDave (Won an INGO patch)
    3rd place was kjf40 (Won a keychain)
    The Boo-Boo Award goes to xTasee! (Won a little PINK coffee can and the stale hot dog award)

Rifle Results
    1st place was nipprdog (Won a spotting scope donated by member buzzined)
    2nd place was garagegunmaker (Won an INGO cap)
    3rd place was tv1217 using ironsights! (Won a Keychain/Patch)
    The Boo-Boo Award goes to DarkKevin.
    He left before his stale hot dog certificate could be given to him.

--DNR WINAMAC TALK--
    REMEMBER THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM AND STATE OF INDIANA OFFICIALS (IE. DNR) AS WELL AS WINAMAC EMPLOYEES KNOW OF THIS WEBSITE AND OUR EVENTS AND DO READ POST.

When I got to the range, 2 ROs opened the range up. A new RO called Mike driving the DNR truck and the part-time RO helper. I don't know his name but is the one that is always using the magnet tool to pic up the steel cases.

RO helper talked to me about a rule change that had been implemented about no shooting from the grass only the concrete parts, not being able to use all the lanes/benches on the 25 yard as well as some issues with clean up from the last shoot (ie. shotgun shell hulls & steel casings were all over the place) and he also told me that the main boss for Winamac would be at the range today to talk to us/me about the rules as well as hosting a youth day.

I asked him if Mr. Kraft was off. He told me Mr. Kraft had quit and they had a new RO, a guy by the name of Mike.

So I unloaded as usual and setup up on the far right of the 25 yard range like usual. And walked to place my targets. This was at 8:15AM EST and there was no one on the 25 yard and 2 shooters on the 200 yard. Recalling that the RO helper told me we can only shoot from the concrete I walked over to the far left lane where the concrete path is at and place my handgun targets there. I thought it was going to be odd to have to shoot from the concrete path into the left plywood but if that was the new rule oh well.

The RO helper was still with me and asked what was I going to do? If I was going to shoot from there (ie. the side path which was 7-10 feet from the boards). I told him you said the new rule was from the concrete correct.

He smiled and explained that from the concrete at the 25 yard (ie. the benches only). :facepalm: on me for not understanding him the first time. So I left my targets there and took some new ones and put them on the far right and walked back to the 25 yard benches and shot my 1911. I did 57 rounds (the remainder of my 100 box) and called it a day on pistol shooting! I had another 200 rounds of .45 but at 25 yards it's not worth wasting ammo as it's just too far.

So I switched over to my 10/22 for appleseed shooting. I don't recall the time but it was after we had a few members at the range (KLB, buzzined and TV1217 I recall being there. I think even ShotinDave was there) already by the time the RO (mike), the RO helper and another man showed up. We (NWI INGO) were using on the far right bench. The general public was on the middle bench and far left.

The RO helper introduced me to Thomas Despot who is the property manager for Winamac as in the main guy in charge for the entire area. He wanted to introduce himself (the name I knew as I recall seeing it on the website in 2010 when I wrote an unsent letter introducing ourselves and the idea of adding concrete picnic tables to the area).

He told me that a new rule was being implemented at all DNR ranges where shooters would have to shoot from the concrete/designated areas (ie. 25 yard, 50 yard, etc.) This was coming from management in Indianapolis (ie. headquaters). He said he had expressed concerned to them (Indy) about this since Winamac does not have a handgun area and many shooters come to Winamac to shoot pistol. After several weeks of back and forth meetings he lost the debate and was being forced to implement the rule.

He said he understood if there were shooters at the bench say on the left side and shooters up closer on the right side how that could be a safety issue. But he did not understand how when it was a single shooter (ie. no one else present) how that could be an issue. But alas the new rule is for all situations.

He also said he does not mind us coming and having our get together with food. However to please keep at least one bay open so that other people could use the 25 yard as well. We should not monopolize the 25 yard benches. He said he did not mind if we spread out to the 50 or 100 yard while also being on the 25 yard as well.

He introduced Mike to me and told me within the next few months another RO would be hired as well. Mr. Kraft had retired and Jim (the other RO whom I don't recall) had moved up to a full time position at Winamac on the non-firearm side. Tony the ast. manager is still at Winamac.

He also thank me for the donations of plywood we have given to the range.

I told him I understood the issue of safety on the range as that has been my biggest concern when organizing these events. Also told him we would keep the far left side open so that others could use it.

I then asked him if there were any plans on making a pistol range at Winamac and told him I understand the state is in a budget crunch but that we do have an active membership that could help financially and/or logistically to have a pistol range. He said that the new director from Indianapolis (an avid hunter and sportsman) was looking at figuring out a way to get pistol ranges at those locations that do not have them now that the new rule of "no grass shooting" was being implemented. Mr. Despot did not know when or what priority Winamac was in for a pistol range but the concern of losing shooters due to the new rule had been send up the management chain.

Lastly I told him that both the RO Helper and gunbunnies (ie used GB's real name) had informed me he (Mr. Despot) wanted to hold a youth day. Mr. Despot said that he had heard Kingsburg had a shooting class for the youth and he wanted to do something similar at Winamac next year (summer time-frame).

He said he did not have anything set in stone it was still an idea in his head but since we (NWI INGO) have been the most active (group/club) at WINAMAC he wanted to know if we were interested and if we could help organize it. The range for that day would be "semi closed" so that the kids could have all the lanes with instructors (ie. us).

He said they had a similar and smaller program with archery already on Winamac where they bring in kids who come from single parent homes (ie. no dads typically) to introduce them to the sport and nature instead of just sitting at home on the xbox.

I told him we have several members who are active in doing these type of programs with the boy scouts, the burned children of indiana, as well as members who have connections to nra/front site firearm instructors. In addition our NWI INGO members had more than enough 10/22 and other .22 rifles, handguns to hold/help/co-sponsor the event. Not to mention helping able to identity single parent families being many of us where from LAKE/PORTER county.

He gave me his business card and I gave him my name and phone number so we could touch base later this year or early next to start formulating the plan for the youth day (after I pass the info to you guys which I am doing now.)

I invited them to come back in a while for burgers and pop, they said thanks but perhaps some other time and the three of them left. I tend went on with me day of shooting, cooking, hosting, etc.

Through out the rest of the day the RO and RO helper would come by, talk to some of other members, make sure everyone had the sign-in card, and/or just look at us shooting.

--FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE EVENT--
    It was good to see friends again. It was even best to see the kids having a blast! And to see "the girl that beats here dad in the rifle competition" (ie. mrobnoxious1's daughter) waiting for that competition to go up against her dad.

When I arrived in the morning I so was not looking forward to the day. It was cold and way too early to be up (Got up at 3:45AM for this event). The news the RO helper gave me did not help my spirits and after the talk with Mr. Despot and having to do the pistol competition from the 25 yard as well as not really shooting my 1911 I was feeling bummed.

I know in part it's due to the "I'm still in vacation mode" and WITHOUT KLB handling the post this month it would have been very hard for me to do this one (logistically) A HUGE THANK YOU KLB!!! I just felt so rushed due to the winter hours, the having to make the targets in one week, etc.

A little voice I heard today. It was ilovemywoods who told me earlier this year to make sure you don't burn yourself out. Once it stops being fun and becomes work you know you are in trouble. I don't think I'm there yet but I know I'm border line at times.

What finally tossed me back to the good side was repeater's mom and the little boy who got there at the very end. Repeater's mom told me "I did such a good job and she had fun!" That coming from a mom was :rockwoot: . Plus the little boy said he was so looking forward to these event and he had to beg his dad (broken leg I think in a motorized wheel chair) to come cause he loved the events. He was looking forward to the OCT one and counting down the days.

Tired, hungry and sleeping right now but with those comments I think to myself. How can I NOT do this. The smiles on those kids makes the difference. They are after all the ones that will have to one day take on this torch right?

-Jedi

---MISSING STUFF---
    1) Who left some .22 ammo in a blue box? It's not federal BTW?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom