• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JW58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2013
    Scipio
    I would like to thank Steve and Chris for putting on a training class. this was my first time in a training course. The class was 4 hr . We went through a whole lot of topics in 4 hr.I have alot of bad habits that I need to break. But I know where to start now. I would recommend Steve as a trainer and will go to him for my next class. I know I learned a lot and think everyone did. Steve made everyone feel very comfortable and worked with everyone. I will do more training courses in the future. I am glad I was part of it. thanks again steve and chris.............JW

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    JW it was great having you in class. I look forward to working with you again although next time you probably won't sit so close to the front...LOL.

JW58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2013
    Scipio
    fair question. Steve showed us one ways to grip a gun and to one use trigger control, to stance . we went over was mental awareness. Try to be more aware of who is around you. we practice clearing malfunctions and reloading on the move. steve showed us how to shoot when in close quarters and have control of your gun.and to shoot at multiple targets.things we need to practice at home or at the range.I wish I had taken a class sooner.......JW

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    AAR for Personal Protection 1 training.

I was fortunate enough to be one of the INGO’er that was able to attend the free Personal Protection training sponsored by INGO member Latewatch. Steve is a recently retired Police Officer/Trainer that is offering training and classes now to the general public.
    I took a very similar training about a year ago. Both covered nearly the same topics, just took a different approach to reach the same goals.

I like how Steve’s training started with one of the most important items (in my opinion), avoidance training. I hear some people who feel like the fact that they can carry the handgun allows them some sort of superpower, but as Steve stressed, you are now introduced a handgun into every event you are a part of. It requires thought and training to be able to properly use this tool.

The Marksmanship Fundamentals and Drawing from Concealment training was very similar to what I had received in other training.
    The Close Range engagement training and reloads was outstanding training and practice of critical items that many are not able to practice at many ranges. Here, on a reserved range, under the supervision of instructors it was valuable to see where your previous training and technique are lacking.

Another item I really liked about his course was the focused training on malfunctions and clearing. We spent several repetitions in this session and it showed me an area that I need to practice on. I have been practicing this drill on my own (using dummy rounds) every couple of days since.

Another item in Steve’s training, which was new to me, was the aspect of “always keep the head on a swivel. Don’t get the tunnel vision. And if you do, keep looking around. Steve introduced some surprises into the training to teach the importance of this practice.

My only two complaints with this training are very minor. First, Steve is one ugly SOB!! (he told us to say that) The other is reminder. Steve, the majority of your training and instructing has been with Police & Military. In those instances, the people are likely to be in great physical condition. When training with the public, that probably will not be the case. I would recommend that you pay close attention to the water/fluids intake of your students. Dehydration can cause the brain and thinking process to short circuit and mistakes to happen. If during the course of a 4 hour training someone has not visited the port-a-potty, they are likely dehydrated. While the instructors did remind people to hydrate several times, please remind your students of the underlined statement.

The training was well worth the amount that is usually charged (I believe it was $85) and I have already recommended Steve to a couple of my friends searching for training in Southern Indiana.

Top Bottom