• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would like to start out thanking Todd and my fellow students for making this a very productive and fun training experience. Without a lot of experience hosting classes you’re always a little nervous how things are going to come off.

First came the prerequisite safety briefing and medical instructions in the event something unforeseeable happened. He then took me and another student who was carrying AWIB aside to brief us on how he wanted us to re-holster.

Todd had everybody line up and do a little shooting test so he could get a baseline on where everybody was performance wise. After that we progressed from drill to drill with minimum delay and kept the pace challenging. This class doesn’t have any formal class time or much talking other than Todd explaining what to do and why. However, if anyone had a question Todd took the time to stop and answer to the students’ satisfaction.

I won’t cover the drills since they have been explained many times in other AAR’s. Suffice to say that no matter the students’ skill level they should find things that would help refine their ability to hit, fast.

Some takeaways:
    • The press out does help you get that hit more quickly, more consistently than waiting until the gun is at full extension and then breaking the shot. I know that sounds like a no-brainer but in practice it is harder to accomplish. Consistently getting that front sight up so you can see it is all important in pulling off consistent first round hits at speed.
    • Who knew that crouching in a forward lean and camming your support side hand forward would help control muzzle flip so significantly.
    • During reloads keep your friggin’ gun hand up in your face to look the magazine into the magwell or you will lose time.
    • Keep crouching while moving or you will lose speed, stability and fall over your feet when moving backwards.
    While we were doing the drills Todd was always close and didn’t miss much. He was quick to enlighten you as to your mistake, in some cases taking your gun and showing you how it wasn’t the guns fault. Damn him!

I didn’t poll the class for what pistols they were using so this is just off the top of my head but it seems most were using full size Glocks, a couple of full size M&P’s and one 1911. IMO, 1911’s especially in .45 ACP are at a disadvantage in this class due to recoil and low magazine capacity. That said, Todd pulled off a couple of 4.6? FAST drills with his HK45.

I would definitely recommend this class to anyone that wants to elevate their skill with a pistol. Todd has solid reasons behind what he does and can explain why which some instructors are short on.

Todd will be back next year for either another AFHF or two of his one day classes.

Chip

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    NE Indiana
    This class was very nice. I have done several at Blackwater and Midwest as well as some others, and I thought Todd was the best. Maybe it was his intelligent answers and witty responses but I really enjoyed myself and learned a lot and that is what is all about in my opinion

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    JohnN . . . does ToddG present a program very similar to what Bill Rogers teaches at his school?

I definitely plan to train with Todd (and at the Rogers Academy) someday, but finding the time is tough.

JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    JohnN . . . does ToddG present a program very similar to what Bill Rogers teaches at his school?

I definitely plan to train with Todd (and at the Rogers Academy) someday, but finding the time is tough.

Hey Joe, how are you?

All the shooting in AFHF is on paper. Todd and I decided to go with these alternate classes on September 24-25.

[SIZE=+1]Speed Kills, which is becoming my other "signature" course... it is all about hitting low probability targets quickly under stress. Round count is 600-700 rounds in one day depending on whether we have any steel targets available. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]One day class[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]AND
    Get SOM, all shooting on the move, 500rd.
    [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]One day class[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]
    [/SIZE]
    John

Top Bottom