• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

About a month or two ago I had heard so much about "Tulsa" that I decided I just had to go once, say I had been there, and that would be it. I would continue to visit the Indy 1500 and go down to NGD in Louisville and no more. Tulsa changed my mind.

The drive can easily be done straight through, but as no one went with me I was able to detour down to Branson, MO and stay w/ a friend who is in some of the shows there. A very nice visit I wouldn't normally get to make! :yesway:

From Branson it is about 3 1/2 hours to Tulsa. I have found "the spot" to stay while in Tulsa! It is less than 10 minutes from the show and $45 per night w/ a full kitchen and nice clean rooms. It is also attached to a Cracker Barrel, McDonald's, IHOP, and Pizza Hut w/ its parking lot so easy and efficient.

Arriving at the gun show was nice because they do NOT charge for parking! This came as a bit of a surprise for me as I am used to paying in Indy and Louisville.

I walked into the front door and paid my $10. If you renew or join NRA while there admission is free. After I entered the main floor I gazed in wide wonder at the joy I had found! Acres and acres of tables with things that go boom! In all seriousness I initially thought to myself, "This IS big but it isn't that huge! I can get through this in a day..."

So I started along a section off of the North wall that only had about 200 tables in it. This was easy. I neared the end of this section and see a set of stairs along w/ a ramp I hadn't noticed when I first walked in. I proceed in this direction with a mix of apprehension and curiosity only to find an entire lower level I couldn't see when I first entered. This lower level was as large as the Indy 1500 on its own!!!:n00b::n00b::n00b:

Now I just stare for a moment, pick up my lower jaw off of the floor and rethink my position, "Holy $h#%, This thing IS huge and there is no way I can get it done in two (2) days!!!"

Now I have to rethink my entire plan of attack. I decided to kill the "small area" in the newly discovered lower level and get as far as I could into the upper level on day one (1) (Saturday). By Saturday afternoon I had been there for over nine (9) hours on my feet and they were sore. I made it to the Military Gun Supply table and called it quits. On Sunday I returned to MGS and continued to walk most of the rest of the show. I didn't finish it and planned on stopping at my friends house for dinner and a good nights sleep before heading home.

All in all it was an outstanding show! I finally picked up an M95 Rifle and a bolt action 16Ga shotgun. I also picked up some piddly stuff I need for improving my collection, but nothing else to write home about.

I was truly impressed with the large percentage of old military rifles and less expensive shotguns! Too often in Louisville I see large percentages of expensive stuff and I won't say it wasn't in Tulsa, but Tulsa seems to have a higher percentage of affordable firearms to sell. Again, this isn't to say there weren't $100k shotguns if you wanted them, just a lower percentage of them comparatively speaking.

I also want to say that aisle spacing was pretty good. Sure, there were areas of constipation as with all shows, but at this one there seemed to be a more reasonable spacing so that you could actually get through. The only thing I got a little annoyed with were guys with carts clogging up the aisles!:xmad::xmad: If you want to sell that damn much get a table. If you plan to buy let the dealer hold it until you are done. Don't slow up everyone else just so it is extra easy on you! Ok, rant over...

I found that if you are from Indiana modern handguns are off limits. Older handguns that qualify for a C&R are able to be legally purchased if you have a C&R. All longarms are available for purchase!

My finances are down right now and I need to conserve money. That said I do intend to try to save for next fall and return to Tulsa then! It will be about October of 2011 before I return but Return I Shall. I am officially addicted, darnit!:D

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Group road trip?

Shadowbeach,

I offered last time and folks had other commitments. I will certainly offer again next year and see what happens.

This year I am thinking of offering from Ft. Wayne a group trip to Knob Creek in the fall. That will be closer and more manageable.

Regards,

Doug

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Long arms must still go through an FFL, no? It's not a bordering state of Indiana's so it would have to be shipped to an Indiana dealer?

If I'm wrong rhino owes kirk some more .45 ammo.

P.S. I've been frequenting the Dallas/Ft.Worth area for sometime now. It appears that the state law is absolutely no out of state purchasers public or private. I havent been too impressed with anything that I found there. It's kind of an authoritarian town. Nothing like the texas I think of when I think of personal rights.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Lee,

I checked into it on the Gunboards. I also have a C&R license so things are bit different for me.

I was told that you could buy it there and take it w/ you. You would have to follow Oklahoma & Federal law. So IF they have to do a NICS check on a certain rifle or shotgun I would presume that is what they would do.

The rifle & shotgun I purchased were both personal sales but I still have to put them in my book as I have the C&R license.

Regards,

Doug

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    That's a much better report than the "beatings" in local gun show reports.
    I almost hesitate when I see a gun show report thinking to myself, is this going to be another un-happy customer, and yet another bad report on over-priced guns and admission fees.
    I'm glad to hear it was a good show and worth the trip, I may get a buddy and go to the next one.

Top Bottom