A repost mind you but I found it a little unsettling . . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    While the OP is probably fabricated, I can now attest personally to the ridiculousness of the ACA. The fiancee received a letter today informing her that her insurance, which is MORE than adequate for her, is being terminated because it is non-compliant. Catastrophic coverage under the ACA will still cost her more than $200/month, while the insurance she currently has is ~ $100/month. ACA just hit home and I'm furious.
    THESE are the points we can argue...real life problems. Using BS information helps no one.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Anyone who believes that the Feds don't have anything to do with your drivers license, also believes in the Tooth Fairy. Look on the back of your DL for the little black strip. All kinds of info is on there, mandated by the Feds as a back door National ID card. A legal means of extortion, that being certain information will be on that strip, or Federal Transportation funds will be withheld until such time as compliance is forthcoming. If you have an Indiana DL, you have a Federal ID card in your wallet.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Barrycare is designed to fail so that the federal government can step in and take everything over after the health insurance companies pull completely out of the business. There will be far too many old and sick on it with not nearly enough full paying young and healthy. They young and healthy that will be in the program will be the ones receiving the larger subsidies paid for by taxpayers which will not contribute to the support of barrycare. Detroit and other cities will probably drop their old and sick retirees into barrycare. The insurance companies will be forced to raise their rates causing those young and healthy to drop out which will cause the rates to go so high that no one can afford it and the whole thing will collapse. The conditions are coming about that will cause the barrycare death sprial to be started not too long after barrycare begins. Hello death panels and rationing. The liberals and progressives in charge of the health care circus will be forced to deny medical treatment to us older and sicker members of the population so that they can better use their limited resources to take care of those that they consider to be the productive members of society. I hope that I am wrong, but nothing else that barry soretoro has promised has been so. Many people are having to leave the health care that they still want and many of their doctors may not take the healthcare programs that they are being forced on to. Just because you have a barrycare card does not assure you of finding anyone who will accept the low payments that barrycare if offering.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Interestingly, it appears the easiest way to avoid any penalty tax from remaining uninsured is to simply underpay your taxes each year. If the information in the PolitiFact article is accurate (and it isn't always), then if you are not due to receive a refund the IRS has no means by which to collect your penalty. Speaking as someone who is uninterested in providing the government an interest free loan every year, I never get a refund, so screw them.
    You are absolutely correct. Taxes paid in full incur no penalty. Every once and awhile genius is ignored. I never understood people bragging about their tax "return". The reality is they are loaning money interest free. The smartest guy in the world was the government dude that came up with "Pay as you go" during WW2. Most people can tell you to the penny their return amount but have no clue to what they paid. Was really amused by the tax evasion post.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Claiming extra dependents on your W-4 to get more in your pocket and covering any difference at the end of the year is NOT tax evasion. It's just underpaying.

The IRS is getting much more efficient at finding issues with your tax payment.
    I received a bill from them for the year 2010 last month.
    The error was $5 on my return plus $12 interest and penalties.

Don't think there will be an out when the IRS is the enforcing agency.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Anyone who believes that the Feds don't have anything to do with your drivers license, also believes in the Tooth Fairy. Look on the back of your DL for the little black strip. All kinds of info is on there, mandated by the Feds as a back door National ID card. A legal means of extortion, that being certain information will be on that strip, or Federal Transportation funds will be withheld until such time as compliance is forthcoming. If you have an Indiana DL, you have a Federal ID card in your wallet.

Not sure why this has anything to do with ACA, but if you're talking about the REAL ID ACT of 2005, yes, it mandates certain standards to which states must comply, but it does not establish a national database or national ID.

I'm not saying it's a good thing--it mostly isn't--but it's not a "back door" National ID. Also, less than half the states are compliant 8 years later, and several states have refused to comply ever. Utah and Maine, for example. Liberals, Libertarians, Conservatives--just about everyone but establishment Republicans oppose REAL ID.

There are a lot of parts to the REAL ID act that are troublesome, but the essential concern you raised, the requirement for machine readable data, isn't anything that REAL ID established. States have already implemented these things on their own, and have agreed on various standards through their membership in AAMVA well before REAL ID. I can speak a bit about that as I've written software in this domain.

Before REAL ID, Indiana already encoded much of the same information in some combination of bar code or mag stripe, but loosely followed old AAMVA standards for how the data is formatted. Although Indiana added some new fields for the Secure ID (that weren't actually required by REAL ID), the biggest change was that all the Secure IDs now have an AAMVA compliant 2D barcode on the back. No more mag stripes.

So, bottom line, your Indiana DL is not a national ID. It is a state ID issued by the state of indiana, according to the whims thereof, with the data stored in a state database under state control.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Obamacare is the true destruction of this country, they will own everything, they will take everything. This was passed knowing we cant afford it, and they called it the "affordable" car act, this is truly disgusting. No amount of voting will stop these people. Is american going to roll over and take this?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    They already do offer subsidies. That's part of Obamacare.

Indeed, but good luck actually getting one. My fiancee, a full time student who makes less than $200/week waiting tables doesn't even qualify. Not that she'd want one, but it seems only those with no income at all will be qualifying for a subsidy. Which is ironic, because they'll be using tax dollars to pay for it anyway...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Indeed, but good luck actually getting one. My fiancee, a full time student who makes less than $200/week waiting tables doesn't even qualify. Not that she'd want one, but it seems only those with no income at all will be qualifying for a subsidy. Which is ironic, because they'll be using tax dollars to pay for it anyway...

Out of curiosity, I went to one of those subsidy calculators that many insurance companies have. I put in different values to see what happens. Apparently subsidies are calculated factoring in age, family size, % of poverty level and maybe a few other things.

A family of two adults in mid 30s, 2 kids, no smokers, insurance costs ~ $9,400 / year. This family can have a household income of $75,000 and still get a subsidy of $2,300 / year. They still get some subsidy all the way up to just over $87K.

According to the calculator, household income apparently has to be above poverty level before you can get any subsidy at all. Your fiancee is ineligible, not because she makes too much, but because she doesn't make enough to be subsidized! Awesome system, right?

We'll have to pass it to see what's in it.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Out of curiosity, I went to one of those subsidy calculators that many insurance companies have. I put in different values to see what happens. Apparently subsidies are calculated factoring in age, family size, % of poverty level and maybe a few other things.

A family of two adults in mid 30s, 2 kids, no smokers, insurance costs ~ $9,400 / year. This family can have a household income of $75,000 and still get a subsidy of $2,300 / year. They still get some subsidy all the way up to just over $87K.

According to the calculator, household income apparently has to be above poverty level before you can get any subsidy at all. Your fiancee is ineligible, not because she makes too much, but because she doesn't make enough to be subsidized! Awesome system, right?

Most with a brain could smell what was in it before any explanation was attempted. :poop:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

I'll have to play around with one of those to see just how great it is.

Can't say I'm surprised...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You are absolutely correct. Taxes paid in full incur no penalty. Every once and awhile genius is ignored. I never understood people bragging about their tax "return". The reality is they are loaning money interest free. The smartest guy in the world was the government dude that came up with "Pay as you go" during WW2. Most people can tell you to the penny their return amount but have no clue to what they paid. Was really amused by the tax evasion post.

You can release the deep breath that must have accompanied the thought of a government bureaucrat coming up with something like this. It was actually a Macy executive who was one of FDR's unofficial advisors who had made the observation that people generally become disinterested in the actual cost of an item if you break it down into relatively small payments that they can manage to pay.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well, look at that. A month into gov types trying to fix their doomed website... what did they do?
    Tapped the private sector for a company to help them.
    Hmmm...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, look at that. A month into gov types trying to fix their doomed website... what did they do?
    Tapped the private sector for a company to help them.
    Hmmm...
    Well, private companies built it. If the same incompetent government overseers oversee the fixing, I don't think the fixed product would be much better than the orriginal.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well, private companies built it.

Huh. I didn't know that. It's not how it appeared in the article I read.
    Worded in a way like they were resorting to "tapping a private company" to try fixing it.
    I'll see if the paper is still in the recycling and quote it verbatim.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Huh. I didn't know that. It's not how it appeared in the article I read.
    Worded in a way like they were resorting to "tapping a private company" to try fixing it.
    I'll see if the paper is still in the recycling and quote it verbatim.

While technically correct, a crony company built it using stale technology. This was further complicated by the government micromanaging the project and demanded sweeping changes within a month of the start date to eliminate the feature allowing you to compare rates without creating an account and then the rates you are quoted may well be much lower than what you will actually pay. My guess is that the difference is that they will be forced to get some people who actually know what they are doing to fix it/replace it.

Top Bottom