A Reminder of Why You Can't and Don't Want to Convert Your AK to full Auto.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    These internet Assault Weapons discussion boards invariably attract newbies or gun-owners with a little bit of warped enthusiasm who just can't get it out of their heads how neat it would be to convert their AK to full auto.

In discussions with people I meet, who are invariably new to guns, I keep hearing how easy it is to convert your AK to full auto by filing on this or that part.

I'm tired of it.

To manufacture an AK as a semi auto weapon, a different fire control group is used; a different bolt carrier is used; and the receiver is machined slightly differently. You as a civilian cannot legally find any way on earth to convert your lawfully-purchased semi-auto AK to full auto. Period. End of Story. I won't go into the laws here, but suffice it to say that if it wasn't already what is called a "fully transferable" full auto AK, dutifully registered as such by the Federal Government, then you can't own it. Deal with it.

Now, let's say you're one of those adventurous people who likes to go tell people that all you have to do is file down the disconnector so it won't grab the hammer and you have "instant full-auto".

Here's why that's not wise:

1. It's illegal. You will be decades older by the time you get out of Federal Prison for doing it. There is no parole in Federal Prison. Twenty Years is twenty years. I'm not saying that's the sentence you'll get, buy you understand my point. Firing more than one round with one pull of the trigger may be fun, but it's not worth being married to a guy covered with tattoos for several years.

2. It's dangerous. I deal a lot with gunsmiths; I read a lot of engineering literature on firearms. I understand how firearms work and don't work. I have repaired my own personally-owned AK's. I know what breaks them and what fixes them. Over the last ten years, I have also rubbed elbows with enough gunsmiths who have had to "fix" home hobbyists' misguided projects that I know enough not to EVER want to convert a semi-auto AK to full auto.

The AK-47 action is not "timed" . We all know about revolvers, and how they are "timed" so that the round is not fired until the cylinder has locked on a fresh chamber, and the chamber is lined up properly.

A full-auto AK-47 has an extra lever just forward of the hammer that holds the hammer back until the bolt is fully closed and locked. It also prevents the hammer from falling unless the round is fully seated in the chamber. This is to prevent the gun from firing "out of battery", and possibly blowing pieces of the firearm into your face. Because the AK action is not "timed", the hammer could very well fall too soon without this lever holding the hammer back until tripped by the bolt carrier.

This is why a full-auto AK has different parts: it requires a special hammer and a special bolt carrier to interact with this trip lever.

When an AK is manufactured in semi-auto only, the little lug on the bolt carrier that trips any full-auto lever is machined off. Plus, the hammer on a semi-auto only AK is machined not to allow that little trip lever to fit under the front of it; not to mention the fact that the receiver does not have the extra hole required for that trip lever to be installed.

Sometimes, manufacturers of semi-auto only AK's also machine off a little tab on the rear of the disconnector, and the corresponding tab on the safety lever that pushes the disconnector out of the way so it doesn't grab the hammer on a full-auto gun.

So, you, as the home gunsmith about to take his life in his hands, decides to "file" down something to make the gun full auto.

Assuming that when you file down the disconnector, the gun doesn't just stop firing at all as the hammer follows the bolt carrier into battery, you have just created a bomb patiently waiting to blow your face off.

Since the AK action is not "timed", your little file job has created a situation where there is NOTHING to prevent that round from firing as soon as the bolt face touches it. The hammer falls with the bolt carrier, and so will detonate the primer as soon as it can, whether the round is chambered and the bolt is closed or not. So instead of that full auto AK you always wanted, you now have one that will eventually kill or injure you or bystanders the first time it fires a round out of battery.

That is why you don't want to illegally convert your semi-auto AK to full auto.

On a similar subject, those of you who read the above carefully realize that there is nothing to prevent a semi-auto AK from firing out of battery either. This is technically true, but the tolerances of the AK-47 are loose enough that I have literally never heard of an AK firing out of battery (I'm not saying it's never happened--just that I've never heard of it).

The lack of "timing" is not an issue, since "timing" only applies to full-auto fire. The disconnector will hold the hammer on a semi-auto AK until you let go of it, and it is humanly impossible to let go of the disconnector faster than the action can cycle. So this is not a problem.

The one worry might be that if your AK gets so full of crud that the bolt won't close properly, then you might have a problem with firing out of battery, but I have literally fired hundreds of rounds through AK's without cleaning them, and I've never had a problem. Suffice it to say; clean your weapon occasionally, and if you drop it in goop so that the bolt lugs might be gunked up enough to prevent the bolt from closing, then your gun needs a thorough cleaning before you try to fire it again. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Good post. Too bad the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall be infringed and we can't own the real deal that is newer than 23 years old!

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    These internet Assault Weapons discussion boards invariably attract newbies or gun-owners with a little bit of warped enthusiasm who just can't get it out of their heads how neat it would be to convert their AK or anything else to full auto.

In discussions with people I meet, who are invariably new to guns, I keep hearing how easy it is to convert your AK or anything else to full auto by filing on this or that part.:n00b:

I'm tired of it.

You and me both. Almost ranks on the myth/retard scale with those who get a little info on the NFA and think they're gonna be slick and clever, get a dealer's license for a year or two, buy MGs on the cheap to add to their private collection, then let their license lapse.

Repped for a way past timely, useful and informative post.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A person I worked with had messed up the trigger on a ruger mark II handgun and it would fire more than once with a pull of the trigger. (followed up by a jam or stovepipe it also slam fired) and he asked me to fix it for him.

I told him i would be ordering a whole trigger group for it from ruger and he had to disassemble it and throw away the old trigger group. He got all mad and said it would cost to much and he would just get somebody to fix it or keep it as it was. I told him about modified firearms (even if he did something wrong) that fire more than a single shell were big time trouble and to at least disassemble and place it out of service with a trigger tag. He told me I was crazy..

He then went and took it to a range to show it off. Of course it slamfired and he shot a hole in the shooting bench. (dumbass could have hurt someone) It took that to have him ask me again to fix it. He brought it over and I shipped it out to ruger for full service. He was pissed at me but it now works correctly.

I think i did the correct thing here as I don't want to get into any trouble with a firearm that fire more than once with a pull of the trigger even if it was a malfunction on the firearm. He is still mad at me but he will get over it. At least he won't be doing time.

Federal time is at least 80 % of sentence, you get a little break not much.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Great post!

So, what does it take to modify my SKS? :D

mcgyver-paperclip.jpg

qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My uncle had an SKS that he bought new a few years back, it would fire a 3 round burst. It done it a handfull of times. He talked to a gunsmith and they told him that the cosmoline caused it. I don't know if that was true or not but it doesn't do it any more.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My uncle had an SKS that he bought new a few years back, it would fire a 3 round burst. It done it a handfull of times. He talked to a gunsmith and they told him that the cosmoline caused it. I don't know if that was true or not but it doesn't do it any more.

It might be. The SKS is prone to slam fire due to the firing pin design. If the firing pin grove isn't clean, or the pin is bent and doesnt float, bad things happen.

Just like INMIline posted with the AK, a slam fire can take place out of battery, and can also empty the entire magazine in an uncontrollable manner. Very bad to say the leat.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Nice post! Which forum did you find it on?

If you're still having trouble convincing some idiot not to modify their firearms, tell them about David Olofson:
    Owner of broken rifle surrenders for 30-month sentence

That guy got 30 MONTHS for simply possessing a rifle that was broken and would fire more than one shot with each trigger pull.
    He discovered the problem with his AR at the range and a LEO heard it and came over to investigate.
    Presto! Federal prison sentence!
    Poor guy wasn't even trying to break the law or be stupid about anything.

I can't fathom why anyone would intentionally screw around with their weapon when the people that prosecute you are thugs that will nail you to the wall when you don't even want it to work that way.

Imagine what they would do to someone that purposefully modified their gun to full-auto...

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    2. It's dangerous. I deal a lot with gunsmiths; I read a lot of engineering literature on firearms. I understand how firearms work and don't work. I have repaired my own personally-owned AK's. I know what breaks them and what fixes them. Over the last ten years, I have also rubbed elbows with enough gunsmiths who have had to "fix" home hobbyists' misguided projects that I know enough not to EVER want to convert a semi-auto AK to full auto.

agreed, buying a legal one is best. about 2 yrs ago, my self and another officer(on a military base) were conducting a vehicle search and found an AK that had been filed to full auto, this thing was jacked up, when it was taken by the ATF, they took it down range and fired it to besure it was full auto converted and found that it kept firing after the trigger was released, only stopped when it ran out of ammo, that thing was stupid wild. guy ended up being sent to Ft. leveanworth kanas for 12 yrs.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I will go on to say that the entire idea the an American citizen having limits
    on their person about what kind of weapons they can own is bullstuff.
    The guy going to prison for 30 months is also a HUGE load of bullstuff.
    Bullstuff sandwiches anyone?

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I will go on to say that the entire idea the an American citizen having limits
    on their person about what kind of weapons they can own is bullstuff.
    The guy going to prison for 30 months is
    also a HUGE load of bullstuff.
    Bullstuff sandwiches anyone?
    +1gazillion bullstuff , lets pay a for a prision sentence, where a dude had a legitimate malfunction WITNESSED by an LEO & still goes to jail !! Freakin retarted no matter how some will try to justify why he shouldve been jailed :noway:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Nice post! Which forum did you find it on?

If you're still having trouble convincing some idiot not to modify their firearms, tell them about David Olofson:
    Owner of broken rifle surrenders for 30-month sentence

That guy got 30 MONTHS for simply possessing a rifle that was broken and would fire more than one shot with each trigger pull.
    He discovered the problem with his AR at the range and a LEO heard it and came over to investigate.
    Presto! Federal prison sentence!
    Poor guy wasn't even trying to break the law or be stupid about anything.

I can't fathom why anyone would intentionally screw around with their weapon when the people that prosecute you are thugs that will nail you to the wall when you don't even want it to work that way.

Imagine what they would do to someone that purposefully modified their gun to full-auto...
    This is super stupid, Stupid i say!!!!! Nice LEO, maybe he shouldve tried to stand up for the dude in court since he heard them overtalking about it being a malfunction. Makes me sick

Top Bottom