• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This morning I made arrangements to go to the range with some friends from work after work. One of the guys who has gone a couple times and is real close to buying a gun:) rents a couple everytime we go. We are almost done shooting and the range officer who was not there when we started comes in with a little I'm not taking any :poop: attitude says that rifles and shotguns have to have the targets at the far end of the range. I understand the rifle part as they are meant for longer range shots than a handgun but my shotgun is a HD set-up 18" barrel and no rear sight. So it not a long range gun. My question is if the only thing that the round is going through is paper what does it matter if it hits at 25yds on 50yds. :dunno: It's there range there rules and I'm cool with that but what am I missing? Thanks

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Not sure about that clubs specific reasoning behind the rule, but at our Conservation Club that rule is in effect to protect the grass between the firing line and the 100yd mark and to keep it from becoming a muddy mess due to the ground being shot up repeatadly.

But we also have a pistol range and 2 short ranges for closer up shooting....

HTH,

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My question is if the only thing that the round is going through is paper what does it matter if it hits at 25yds on 50yds. :dunno: It's there range there rules and I'm cool with that but what am I missing? Thanks
    In general if the target is just in front of the berm and you are aiming at the target, no matter how low the target is and how bad a shot the shooter is the round will go into the berm, not the ground. This reduces the chance of having a ricochette clear the berm.

AKA manage to the lowest common denominator.

If you are shooting at chest high targets with rifle or pistol, or using shot in a shotgun things should be fine BUT todays world has gone stupid and so have a lot of shooters. Very common on public ranges.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I would think that a bullet would not be able to tell the difference between a target at at 25 yards vs 50 yards when it impacts the back of the range at the same distance regardless!!! :D

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I would think that a bullet would not be able to tell the difference between a target at at 25 yards vs 50 yards when it impacts the back of the range at the same distance regardless!!! :D
    Right, but the angle is not the same. Set a coke can on the ground at 25 and the bullet has 25 yards of travel left to clear the berm at 50.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    Mmmm... A RO with a clue?

and people wonder why some of the range officers are sometimes short with them.:dunno:

all of us do not share the same ideas. without them alot of us would not have a place to shoot. if you dont like them please find some where else to shoot and it will be less crowded for me.

l c gun guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Maybe so the bullet won't frag every one if you hit the steel that holds the target. That the only thing I can think of.

Top Bottom