• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok guys! I'm currently looking around for another rifle. Nothing set in stone yet, just wanting to add something to the wish list. I would love to get something in 5.56/.223 and i want the 5.56 to be the primary round. I have heard multiple things that i need cleared up!

#1. Regards of what the tag says, the new Rugar Mini-14 ranch models fire 5.56 stock. I saw that all the ranch models are listed as 5.56 on Rugar's website, but have been in many arguments with people who are trying to tell me otherwise.

#2. Many of the commercial M4/AR-15's not marked 5.56 will fire it with no issue. I have been looking at marked 5.56 M4's for a while now, they are just so expensive.

#3. Which do you guys prefer? The Mini-14 or a 5.56 AR? Price is an issue with me, which is why i started looking at the Mini-14. So this leads to question 4

#4. How much did your 5.56 weapon cost??

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i would take an AR over a Mini-14 every time. Way more options and available parts. Don't like a 16 inch carbine? Sell the upper and buy a middy/20 inch rifle/etc.

You can build a great AR for around $600 if you're patient. Watching for PSA sales is a great way to do it.

$50 PSA lower + $270 PSA upper + $90 PSA Lower kit + $130 PSA BCG + $10 CH + $15 FFL fee plus maybe $25 shipping = $590

Add the iron sight of your choice for a bit more.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Spare/replacement parts for the Mini 14 can be a problem, like having to send your bolt to Ruger for a replacement firing pin.

Mini 14 magazines (good magazines) are not cheap.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    i would take an AR over a Mini-14 every time. Way more options and available parts. Don't like a 16 inch carbine? Sell the upper and buy a middy/20 inch rifle/etc.

You can build a great AR for around $600 if you're patient. Watching for PSA sales is a great way to do it.

$50 PSA lower + $270 PSA upper + $90 PSA Lower kit + $130 PSA BCG + $10 CH + $15 FFL fee plus maybe $25 shipping = $590

Add the iron sight of your choice for a bit more.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I'd have a Mini-14 for nostalgia's sake as it's patterned after the WWII M1 Carbine, which are very expensive for the real McCoy.

If it's 5.56 you want, and obviously you want an autoloader, building your own AR is hard to pass by. There are many, many, many friends on INGO that would lend you assistance putting it together. Spare parts are readily available and upgrades are inexpensive and you can do them yourself.

My :twocents:.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I'd have a Mini-14 for nostalgia's sake as it's patterned after the WWII M1 Carbine, which are very expensive for the real McCoy.

If it's 5.56 you want, and obviously you want an autoloader, building your own AR is hard to pass by. There are many, many, many friends on INGO that would lend you assistance putting it together. Spare parts are readily available and upgrades are inexpensive and you can do them yourself.

My :twocents:.

If price is really an issue then ^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Lots of folks will help you along in this.

If you can squeeze out a bit more the M&P 15 is a very nice out of the box piece. I have one and it is a great gun.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    l think you will get a lot more gun for the money if you go with an AR. The mini-14's don't have the greatest reputation for accuracy, where as most out of the box AR's will shoot 2-3MOA without a lot of work, and some even better.

Add to that an abundance of spare parts, magazines, and accessories that are relatively inexpensive, and you really can't beat it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I own several AR's. My GB Mini 14 is what I have with me everywhere I go. It is absolutely reliable and plenty accurate enough. It has never broke or hiccuped in 18 years. I shoot it a lot. It also fits perfectly across the handlebars of my Harley with a 20 round mag. None of my AR's can do that.

OP, please understand that 5.56 and .223 are identical for all practical purposes. 5.56 NATO and .223 are totally different animals.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had one of the early Minis and I was not impressed with the accuracy. Also as has been said above once you get/build a complete AR the sky is the limit on add-on uppers. Shorties for home defense, standard or HB for good competition, heavy barrel varmint....the list goes on and on. You'll never be sorry you got into the AR system.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I built up a .22 LR upper for my M-4. I also have a full on AR upper for it as well. Add it all up and there is some money there as I did not go on the cheap but did it over time. If I acquire another lower (working on that right now) I will have another whole gun. Can not do that with a mini.....just a thought.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

Mini-14s are not patterned after M1 carbines, but more so after the M1 Garand/M14. If you field stripped both, you would see the difference.

Mini-14
    ruger_mini_14.gif

M1 Carbine
    M1CarbineSchematic.jpg

With that being said, the newer Mini-14s are superior to the older Ranch rifles. Cleaner system then an AR. No questions on that one. I have 4 ARs and none are as rugged as my Mini14. It wasn't meant to be 300yd tack driver, but a handy versatile ranch gun. The major drawbacks are that it lacks cheap magazines(Ruger mags are the only way to go). It is also extremely less modular then an AR. My Mini14 is outfitted with a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster scope. It is a fun rifle to shoot in this setup and any critters out to 250yds are fair game. It is great rifle that fills its niche just fine. Look up the Border Patrol study on the Mini vs. AR trials. The Mini won hands down.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^ As usual, Sig hit it on the head. Mini 14 means mini M14. They are great rifles and all around different weapon system than the AR. One advantage to the mini is it uses a piston system (AK, FAL, etc.....) verses the AR's direct impingement. They also tend not to ruffle peoples feathers as much, due to not looking like an "evil black rifle". Something to keep in mind is to only use factory magazines. You might find an off brand one that functions 100%, but that has not been my experience. In regards to 556, all minis should handle it minus the target model.

Now as far as being modular, AR wins hands down. It can be configured in any caliber from 22lr to 50BMG. Left handed, right handed, iron sights, night vision scope, 7" barrel, 24 " barrel, ........ You get the point.

In my opinion, if you are not one that likes to dump a ton of money in rifle mods, go with the Mini. A top of the line tactical model is going to cost you less than a bubba built, bargain parts AR. On the other hand, if you like your guns to be like Lego's, an AR is going to be a much better fit.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Hmmm why would someone want to be limited to 250/300yds with a mini14 when they can extend that out substantially with a AR15 and even more accurately? For less or the same money with the option to change/add/subtract til you are blue in the face.

I love ruger firearms....but you can keep your mini 14. My ar15 "bubba built" will shoot the snot out of your mini 14 on the range.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Hmmm why would someone want to be limited to 250/300yds with a mini14 when they can extend that out substantially with a AR15 and even more accurately? For less or the same money with the option to change/add/subtract til you are blue in the face.

I love ruger firearms....but you can keep your mini 14. My ar15 "bubba built" will shoot the snot out of your mini 14 on the range.

Because realistically most untrained shooters are never going to take that firearm out past 100 yards. If accuracy if what I'm after, I'll take a Remington 700 over the mini or AR any day. Sometimes it is best to K.I.S.S., and this is where the mini excels.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks to everyone who is replying! You are giving me some great advice! Anyway, to clear something up that was brought to my attention by MACHINEGUN :D How much was your CHEAPEST 5.56 platform that you own. I realize many of you own multiple 5.56's

Thank you so much guys! I'm loving this advice!! :ingo:

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Thanks to everyone who is replying! You are giving me some great advice! Anyway, to clear something up that was brought to my attention by MACHINEGUN :D How much was your CHEAPEST 5.56 platform that you own. I realize many of you own multiple 5.56's

Thank you so much guys! I'm loving this advice!! :ingo:

:D

$1100 is my cheapest.. $2500 is my most expensive!

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

I doubt your "bubba built" is a 300yd tack driver either:welcome:

Top Bottom