• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Following the tip from member "magic man", I decided I would venture over to Cabela's after work to pick up a Savage Edge. I called on my lunch break to verify they had it, the sale was still good, and find out if they had it in black (not to keen on cammo). The guy said yes they have them, yes the price is good. I asked him what color they were, he said they had two and they both were black. I guess now would be a good time to state that I was looking for the combo pack with the scope, which I had told him at the beginning. Since the ad had the cammo one pictured, I asked once again if the black ones were the combo pack. He stated that they were.

I battled rush hour traffic, and barely made it in one piece. The gun counter was very busy, but after a few minutes a man named Joe was able to help me. I asked him about the gun, and went to the back to dig one up. He returned a few minutes later with a large box. Great! Since the guy on the phone had said they were both black, I didnt even mention that is what I was looking for. When he opened the box and it was cammo, I was bit disappointed, but I went ahead and asked him about a black one. He said he didnt think so, but went back to look. He found nothing, but he went on to check the computer. Nope. I explained what I had been told on the phone, and he was a bit frustrated that someone misinformed me. We speculated that the guy checked the boxes of the non package ones, which were black.

Joe was a great guy to work with, and he made the offer that if I bought a scope and the non scope version, he would go ahead and install it for free. That was going to bring me to about $390. I paused and muttered something about only planning on spending $330 (even though I had a budget of $400 :D). Joe offered to call the store manager and see what we could work out. We settled on a Cabela's brand 3-9 for $100, and the rifle for the sale price of $250. They would install, bore-sight it in, and throw in the rings for free. An hour later, he came out from the back and said that wasnt going to work (never gave a reason?) and offered me a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9 for the same deal, and that it would be 15 minutes longer and he would have it on there. Well, it took another half hour, then I had to wait in line (again, since they now had to exchange the scopes) for another 40 minutes.

All in all it was frustrating, but I feel Cabela's did a good job at making it right, and I got a pretty good deal. I will get a chance to test it all out tomorrow. I read a bit about the Trophy XLT scopes drifting a bit, so hopefully that wont be an issue. If it is a bother, expect it on the classifieds! I dont see it as much of an issue, as this one wont be shot much. This was more an excuse to spend some money than anything else, and I anticipate only shooting a few rounds through it each time I take it to the range. My fiance will probably shoot it more than me, since she seems to really like bolt guns. Pictures will come in the next few days when I have had a chance to shoot it. Its pretty generic looking.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Glad things worked out.

I have a bunch of Cabela's bucks building up, and when I make the trip up to Hammond, I'll really have an open mind.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Dick and Jim run one hell of a good store, 50th anniversary this year. Glad it all worked out, with your patience, it was bound for a happy ending.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We settled on a Cabela's brand 3-9 for $100, and the rifle for the sale price of $250. They would install, bore-sight it in, and throw in the rings for free. An hour later, he came out from the back and said that wasnt going to work (never gave a reason?) and offered me a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9 for the same deal, and that it would be 15 minutes longer and he would have it on there.

I wonder why it would not work. I realize he didn't give a reason, but wonder if it was something to do with the tube length or the objective size and the particular rings he was trying to use.

I'm not well versed on optics and mounts, so a bit curious on that one.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I wonder why it would not work. I realize he didn't give a reason, but wonder if it was something to do with the tube length or the objective size and the particular rings he was trying to use.

I'm not well versed on optics and mounts, so a bit curious on that one.

After having shot the setup today, I am guessing he got it mounted (judging on the time it took before he said something was wrong) then realized the bolt handle was going to rub or flat out not function. It is a close fit on this one, and if the was slightly larger, it would not work.

That is just my guess though. Im not really versed on scopes either. In retrospect I should have just had them throw in the rings and done it myself at home. It may have not gotten done as well, but I would have learned something. Im happy though. Im going to try to do a write up later in the night, but I will say now that I got great groupings with it. I may be shooting it more than I thought!

nickl16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Cabelas has always been good for my dad and I as well. We had even bought a used gun from them and they allowed it to be returned due to a feeding issue we had with it.

mwk1975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    I have yet to have a bad experience with Cabela's, If only I could figure out a way to charge what I want on my Cabela's card and then just have the balance disappear.....
    Man would that be perfect or what......

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glad to hear it all worked out in the end! It can be very frustrating at times, but mistakes do happen. Good for you for being patient and keeping your cool and good for them for doing what they could to take care of you. :yesway:
    Hope you enjoy it and thanks for sharing the experience.

Top Bottom