• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    For many years I've wondered what would happen if a person shot the primer of a 12 gauge with a .22. Me and some friends were spending the day just shooting and wasting ammo, and we decided we'd give it a try. We set a 12 guage out at 75-ish yds, and my buddy grabbed his 17 hmr. I made a dead on shot with it, and it really makes me wish I had a video of it. It blew up with sparks like a firecracker and went flying. We found the shell and this what we had.

2012-09-16_22-03-08_270.jpg

I don't think I could've been much closer to dead center, it was pretty cool. If you look inside the hole, you can see the .17 bullet lodged inside. It blew the whole back off, but the shot and wad are still in it. The hull is prettty much intact, minus a small tear wear a piece of the bullet fragmented out the side. So if anyone else has ever wondered this, here's your answer.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Nothing will happen that is even remotely close to what happens when it is in the chamber of a shotgun. The wad and shot is still in there because there is nothing holding the pressure caused by the powder (as the primer/powder ignites) in behind the shot/wad. Instead all that pressure blows out the side of the shell and escapes.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Nothing will happen that is even remotely close to what happens when it is in the chamber of a shotgun. The wad and shot is still in there because there is nothing holding the pressure caused by the powder (as the primer/powder ignites) in behind the shot/wad. Instead all that pressure blows out the side of the shell and escapes.

That was expected. We were just curious to see what it would do. It was fun, and it made for an interesting competition between us to see who could hit it.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    When I was about 10 yo "late 1970s" I walked across town to visit a friend, a few houses before his house I see a kid with a bb gun, standing in the drive way, shooting into the garage.
    I stopped to ask what he was shooting at and he says, oh just a 12 gauge shell clamped in my dads vice.

Top Bottom