• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Please do not quote the picture when responding.
    gun-infographic.jpg

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    "In America, 100,000 people are shot each year.
    12,791 are homicides
    16,883 are suicides
    642 are accidental"

Interesting.... that only totals 30,316. I guess the other 69,684 are people defending themselves and other 'good shoots':cool:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This makes an interesting case for both having more guns in civilian hands and introducing training in schools for gun safety. Children should not be dieing from guns. The only way to reduce that is to train people from a very early age about gun safety. We teach our kids about fire safety, why not gun safety.

The issue of accidental deaths and child deaths resulting from guns is an indictment of the failure of the American educational system to present any gun safety information to students. More school system should be like Beech Grove and teach the kids about safety. It's the only way a kid in a non-gun household will ever find out.

Last edited:

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    But sometimes all the training in the world won't stop it. While deployed a Soldier shot another Soldier while cleaning his M9.
    Up here there have been 4 suicides involving firearms on Base one was last Saturday. One of them was the Base Commander here. Sometimes it just doesn't matter.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    The poster says a lot. Some might even be true. However, it is not necessarily a reflection on firearms nor is it relevant.

"In America, a gun is made every 10 seconds". - If true, so what? Supply and demand.

"On any given day, 1 million American civilians are carrying guns". - Again, so what? It doesn't say anything activity at all. So 1 million guns could be carried and not a single one pulled from a holster.

"Of all civilian weapons, only 12% are believed to be registered." - And the point of this is? How many states or jurisdictions even require registration of a firearm? Plus, the stat doesn't say "handgun" or "gun", but it states "weapon". Even jurisdictions that require hand gun registration, are there any that require rifle or shotgun registration? I'm asking because I really don't know. I don't think that even Canada got around to requiring long guns being registered.

"Globally, an estimated 225 million firearms are owned by the military and police officers, versus civilians' 650 million." - And there are a lot more civilians than there are military or police officers. This stat just makes sense, but says nothing about guns.

"Teenagers who live in households that own a gun are twice as likely to commit suicide." - Again, it might be true. But it doesn't speak to if they are twice as likely to ATTEMPT suicide. I would believe that they are twice as likely to succeed and that is sad. A gun is very effective and instantaneous as opposed to other methods that allow for discovery by a third party or even a change of mind by the "victim". But as written, it is a deceptive statement.

"Flamethrowers can be purchased online for $300". - This one just intrigues me. It's hard to find a decent carry piece for that price. Someone look this up and post a link where we can find a flame thrower for $300. I'm just curious now.

"NYC rate of homicide increased 3 times faster than the rest of the country". - This one just doesn't say anything at all. 3 times faster because of what? Because there are more guns? Fewer guns? The average temperature is 3 degrees warmer? I just don't get this statement as having any meaning.

There are potential issues with each statment on the poster. It could be argued that it is mostly true statements. It could also be argued that while true, most of the statments are also meaningless.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    How many are shot by SWAT? I think they left out Israel where almost everyone has a gun. What about some of the African nations and Mexico where murder is rampant. I think some more research is needed.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    "In America, 100,000 people are shot each year.
    12,791 are homicides
    16,883 are suicides
    642 are accidental"

Interesting.... that only totals 30,316. I guess the other 69,684 are people defending themselves and other 'good shoots':cool:
    Or it's on purpose and they didn't die. When I was in high school, one of my friends shot herself in the leg "just to see what it felt like." (Yes, she also had been in her step-dad's liquor cabinet that night, and yes, she spent several months in a rehabilitation facility being monitored for mental stability.) Not a homicide. Not a suicide. Not accidental. Just plain stupid. (And yes, she knows that, too).

"Teenagers who live in households that own a gun are twice as likely to commit suicide." - Again, it might be true. But it doesn't speak to if they are twice as likely to ATTEMPT suicide. I would believe that they are twice as likely to succeed and that is sad. A gun is very effective and instantaneous as opposed to other methods that allow for discovery by a third party or even a change of mind by the "victim". But as written, it is a deceptive statement.
    I also didn't like the little house images next to this statement. It could also imply that if you have three homes with guns and teens in them, two of those teens will commit suicide with those guns. I am positive that is not true, but that is the impression *I* was left with by those little house pictures.
    "NYC rate of homicide increased 3 times faster than the rest of the country". - This one just doesn't say anything at all. 3 times faster because of what? Because there are more guns? Fewer guns? The average temperature is 3 degrees warmer? I just don't get this statement as having any meaning.
    I think it was referring to how homicide went up after (or despite?) increased gun control laws.

In any case, excellent points all around, HD.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Thx Pami. What they are trying to do is to get the reader to draw a particular conclusion, but they aren't really supplying the necessary information in the poster to support it.

It's like this. I can state that all Great Danes are dogs (true). Then I tell you that my pet is a Great Dane named Sally (true). It is resonable for you to conclude that Sally is a dog and you have the facts to support that conclusion.

However, If I tell you that I have a pet named Sally and she is a dog, there is not enough evidence for you to conclude that she is a Great Dane.

That's how a lot of "statistical" based arguments go. While the individual statements might be true, there's not enough information to support the conclusion. People than say that the statistics are lying. Not necessarily, but they might be irrelevant to the argument or conclusion.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Thx Pami. What they are trying to do is to get the reader to draw a particular conclusion, but they aren't really supplying the necessary information in the poster to support it.

That's how a lot of "statistical" based arguments go. While the individual statements might be true, there's not enough information to support the conclusion. People than say that the statistics are lying. Not necessarily, but they might be irrelevant to the argument or conclusion.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure!!!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Interesting math. 100,000 people shot each year averages to about 274 per day. With ONE MILLION people carrying firearms every day, that is only .027 percent. I'm 100 percent positive that's way less than the margin of error for any study. The stat they never publish is how many of those shootings are done by people carrying firearms LEGALLY.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    They're dead wrong about the Miniguns. They are regulated under the NFA as machineguns.

FWIW, the GE M-214 Minigun that was used by Jesse Ventura in "Predator" sold recently for about $200k IIRC.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jaydond
    Top Bottom