• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I definitely disagree regarding the alleged problems with digital locks, as long as the digital lock is top quality. If there is a problem, the entire face unit with keypad can be easily replaced. Batteries wearing out frequently is not an issue with my Sargent and Greenleaf and the batteries are common and easily replaced by the owner. The combination can be reset any time, by the owner. Multiple combinations can be set, if someone wants to give someone their own combination, That individual combination can later be removed.The unit has a lifetime warranty. I've owned both for many years and the e-lock is by far the most user friendly and convenient of the two.

I sold safes for 4 years. That doesn't make me an expert, but I was familiar with customer problems. There were not a lot of complaints about e-locks. I've owned my safe with the e-lock for 5 years. My Ft. Knox has a lifetime warranty on everything, including the S&G e-lock. E-locks haven't been around as long as tumbler locks, but that doesn't mean that there is something wrong with them. I've had my safe with a dial for over twice that long, but I'll take the e-lock over the dial any day. Glocks are made of plastic. I heard all of the "plastic gun" banter before they were accepted. There is a lot of plastic and aluminum on cars nowadays, too.[/i]

Ruh Roh... LIBERTY SAFE WON'T UNLOCK - AR15.COM

Just encountered this today... hmm... I can't even remember the last time I saw the failure of a mechanical lock. But this is the 3rd failure of an e-lock I've heard of this year.

Will the problem be corrected? Well, IF it's still under warranty then yes, it'll be corrected. And if it's not then he'll likely end up paying for it out of pocket.

Either way, it's going to cost him time and frustration. Imagine taking a day off work to head to the range and not be able to get your guns out of the safe. There is a wasted day off work, and until somebody gets there to correct the issue, he doesn't have access to any of the guns in his safe.

Why, why, why, anybody would ever want an electronic device (that fails more often, more readily) on something that has zero tolerance for failure I just won't ever understand.

Sure, electronics are great things and failure is acceptable when there is a tolerance for failure; when they can be repaired more easily. But take something where the electronic device itself controls the access to be able to get in and maintain/repair it, and you're set up for lots of cost and frustration and lost time. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom