• ...and so much more!
  • sp3worker

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Went out to Wyoming for an antelope hunt with a buddy last week. We hunted around Casper, Area 70. We hunted on a 12,000 acre private ranch with 7 other guys from Oregon. Everybody filled their tags. Took about 6 hours of hunting to get my 3 and my buddys 2 goats. We shot our bucks within 2 minutes of each other. I used a Browning A-Bolt .300 Win. Mag. and my buddy used a Savage 25/06. We probably seen over 1000 antelope in the area while hunting and driving around.

My goat.
    210zn9i.jpg

My buddys goat.
    2v97vjo.jpg

Together.
    2dhxyjo.jpg

One of my does.
    erzn2p.jpg

My buddys doe.
    x2kpk1.jpg

My buddys buck ended up being a little bigger than mine. His has curls that sweep back and has pretty good mass. Didn't get a pic of my other doe, I shot it about an hour after shooting my first doe and was so hot and dirty from skinning and quartering the first one I didn't want to mess with taking any more pics. This was the first animal I've gutted, skinned and quartered on the ground, it was a real pain in the ***, makes me appriciate being able to hang up deer at home!

Turned out being a good trip, despite the 21 hour drive. We got to see quite a bit of the country. While we were in Wyoming we drove up to Thermopolis, Boysen National Park and Indian Reservation, Hells Half Acre, seen a little bit of Medicine Bow National Forest and quite a few other places. Can't wait for next years trip!

wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Good lookin goats man. I bet the ranchers were glad to see em go. Good huntin area also. I've been around the Gillette area as well as the Bighorns several times.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Congradulations on your succesful hunt! I cant wait until I have a pronghorn hanging on my wall. I think they make one of the neatest mounts there is.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Very cool! I see them every year in North Dakota, but nonresidents can't buy rifle tags there. How much was the trespass fee for hunting the property, or was it someone you know or a guide? What time of year was this? I might have to think about doing a trip next year!

sp3worker

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The shots on the bucks were 180yds, the first doe I shot was about 250yds, the second about 100yds, my buddys doe about 150yds.

The trespass fee was a box of apples I picked from a local orchard (they charged me a dollar) and a stick of deer summer sausage. It was a self guided hunt, hiring a guide for antelope is a waste of money. The time of year- Last week:D.

Not a package hunt, you apply for the hunt area you want by early March, find out if you got drawn a few months later. I bought my 1st doe tag online, bought the second over the counter in Wyoming. Make sure you have somewhere lined up to hunt in the area you apply for before applying for it. There are lots of ranchers you can contact to get permission and there is also a lot of BLM and Walk-In areas to hunt.

Tags- A little over $300 for the buck tag, $34ea for the doe tags.
    Truck Rental- $550
    Gas- Around 11 tanks to drive there and back and around our hunt area.
    Hotel- Around $350-$400 for the week
    Food and other incedentals- As much as you want to spend.

There are quite a few camping areas, so you could do it pretty cheap if you wanted. I prefer the comfort of a hotel if I'm staying for a week.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    How does antelope eat? Similar to venison?

I have found Antelope to be very different from venison. To be honest I am not crazy about venison but I love antelope. Venison sometimes has an aftertaste that to me is reminiscent of liver, antelope has none of that going on. At one time in my career I specialized in wild game, I have cooked everything from Lion to Zebra. My favorite Antelope dish was grilled marinated Antelope loin with Black Cherry Demi-Glace, roasted rosemary new potato's and grilled asparagus with white wine butter...

sp3worker

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't tried any of the meat from these yet, but the last one I shot in New Mexico was delicious. I think it was better than any deer I've ever had. I will say that antelope stink way worse than a deer when you open them up though.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have found Antelope to be very different from venison. To be honest I am not crazy about venison but I love antelope. Venison sometimes has an aftertaste that to me is reminiscent of liver, antelope has none of that going on. At one time in my career I specialized in wild game, I have cooked everything from Lion to Zebra. My favorite Antelope dish was grilled marinated Antelope loin with Black Cherry Demi-Glace, roasted rosemary new potato's and grilled asparagus with white wine butter...

Ok, this just screams for a thread with recipes.

I use to live in the southwestern states. Loved the hunting and fishing out there. Spoiled me for about any other place. Spent one nine month period just eating only wild game of all types. Anyone get a chance to hunt the western states, don't hesitate to go.

Top Bottom