• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Hello, I got a buddy who is a big hunter but never really got into handguns before now. He just got approved for his lifetime LTCH and will hopefully be an INGO member soon. He is looking for a good gun to carry and really wants it to have a thumb safety. He was looking at the Walther CCP but with complaints about the trigger and difficulty to take down and put back together he is rethinking his plan. Keep in mind he is a handgun newbie. S&W shield is another option he is considering. I'm no handgun expert but I do own a few. So I'm turning to you for advice.

Qualities he wants:

1. Carry inside the waistband
    2. thumb safety
    3. 9mm
    4. good to carry and fun at the range
    5. looking at subcompacts but any size is in option
    6. Doesn't want a revolver, prefers striker fire but not a must

Please share your thoughts and why you recommend. Thanks,

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd recommend an M&P compact before a Shield. Sub-compact guns like the Shield, even though it's not "small" in a "Ruger LCP sense" aren't really beginner guns. The smaller the gun is - the harder it is to shoot well (generally speaking)

There's also some FN products that fill the bill, as well as the Ruger SR9 compact.

Just about any of those would make FINE first guns.

Get him into a firearm first. Make SURE he invests in a quality holster (or 4) and a quality belt (or two). AND TRAINING. Working on getting him to not want a thumb safety will come - in time. :D

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Might have him check out the M&P 9c also. Has a thumb safety option and it's a little bigger than the shield for range use. Also takes full size mags with a grip extender. Would still be easily concealed with a good holster.

edit: above post beat me to it!

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I'd try to push him away from the subcompacts, though they seem to be all in 'style' now. They have the same problems as the snub nose revolver, which is accuracy unless you put a lot of training into use. A Glock clone like the Ruger SR9c would be a good start combining price with functionality.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My personal and biased top three for a first 9mm pistol. In no particular order:

S&W M&P
    Glock 19
    Walther PPQ

Learn to shoot these and then add a subcompact (or other guns) later. The M&P Shield tops my list right now in the sub-compact 9mm market. I should buy one but I just stick with my ratty old Jframe.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    My personal and biased top three for a first 9mm pistol. In no particular order:

S&W M&P
    Glock 19
    Walther PPQ

Learn to shoot these and then add a subcompact (or other guns) later. The M&P Shield tops my list right now in the sub-compact 9mm market. I should buy one but I just stick with my ratty old Jframe.

He never does give the Springfield XD series any love...

XD Mod 2 can use XDc extended mags for range time and a full firing grip.

Also, when people mention "Apex Triggers", they aren't all the same. The Duty / Carry is a totally different feel than the Forward Set Sear. Also note that if you buy an M&P, I'd highly suggest that he buy new instead of used for his first one. There have been some major changes over the life of the M&P series. That being said, my EDC is an M&P 9mm, plus I have had the M&Pc and the Shield all in 9mm.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What's his budget?

I got a good deal on my Ruger 9e, $319 including shipping (free) and transfer fee ($20) from Budsgunshop.

The Ruger 9E and SR9 series is probably the best value in handguns right now. SR9c would meet the OPs requirements.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    He never does give the Springfield XD series any love...

XD Mod 2 can use XDc extended mags for range time and a full firing grip.

XD mod 2 is solid gun. I just have a personal grudge against the whole made in Croatia thing.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    What's his budget?

I got a good deal on my Ruger 9e, $319 including shipping (free) and transfer fee ($20) from Budsgunshop.

He never gave me a budget but did say he is willing to spend the money for a good gun. I doubt he'd spend a $1000 but I don't think he would flinch at $600 if it was the right gun.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    He never gave me a budget but did say he is willing to spend the money for a good gun. I doubt he'd spend a $1000 but I don't think he would flinch at $600 if it was the right gun.

Have him aim for $500-ish and force him into a GOOD BELT AND HOLSTER AND TRAINING. :D

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Ruger 9E and SR9 series is probably the best value in handguns right now. SR9c would meet the OPs requirements.

I'd recommend this as well, and just did recently to a friend who had similar requirements and was left handed, and actually was interested in the mag disconnect these have.

I personally would choose a Glock 19 or 26, but see that doesn't fit what he provided as requirements.

The S&W M&P 9c is also a fine gun, (just wasn't for me as I am so accustomed to the Glock trigger).

Top Bottom