• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've got a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and haven't had anything to make it go bang for around a year now. I've been looking and fondling pistols at a couple of LGS's, but really haven't been able to come to any decision on what I'd like to have. I have decided what I don't want, a Glock or anything full sized.

I've been looking at compacts & sub compacts from Kahr, Keltec, Springfield, Ruger and Beretta. I would love a SIG P226 or something in a 1911 frame, but my budget tops out around $500. :D This would be a range gun first and BUG a distant second.

Any suggestions on what other manufacturers I should be looking at or any comments pro or con on what I have been putting my prints on?

Thanks in advance.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Compacts don't make great range guns normally for the sole reason that the magazines have less capacity, and you'd have to spend more time reloading them. You can put full size mags in most of them, but the grip is still shorter. So as a range gun foremost, I'd look at a full size (by that I mean normal size, which is about a 4" barrel). That way it will come with usually two mags that hold about 15 rounds each.

Range guns make great home defense guns too, since you don't need to conceal them. So finding one that comes with a rail for a light, and night sights is a winner IMO.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Save another $150 and head to Bradis. I think they had a P226 for around that price... at least they did last week. If it's still there, you could put it on layaway.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    ... I have decided what I don't want, a Glock or anything full sized.

... I would love a SIG P226 ...

A P226 is most certainly a full size gun, so have you really decided that you don't want a full zize?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you don't have a browning hi power then you don't have one of the Iconic 9mm pistols ever. Save an extra amount to cover the difference. Spend once cry once.

I wanted to get in before the soon to be issued one word post that states only "GLOCK".

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the replies. I definitely don't want a full sized 9 right now, even though a new "shiny" P226 is on the list of pistols (along with a Belgian made Hi-Power) that I'd like to have in the collection. This is just something to fill a current hole that will end up being shot and sold within a year.

The oldest starts college this fall and I've got a bunch of other things that need money thrown at them, so $500 is the top end of the budget.

Edited to add that part of the reason I'm not looking for a full size is that my wife will also be shooting this and she struggled with the grips on my last full size, an SR9.

Last edited:

BMDRAKE71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Brownsburg,
    Look for a FEG (Hungarian copy) or a Kareen (Israeli copy) for an affordable Browning High-Power. Both are 100% copies of the FN P35 and can usually be seen for less than $400.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The Beretta Nano is a great choice. Get a couple of extended (8 rd) magazines and you're OK for range shooting.

I also have a Springfield XDS in .45 ACP but the 9mm XDS is just out. I've not fired one but if it's even 1/2 as nice as the .45 XDS, it's going to be a fine handgun. All the reviews I've ready are very positive.

I think either one is in the right price range. You may, however, want to reconsider that compact for range use. You might also want to consider a Beretta 92FS or one of the Beretta 9mm PX4 models. Other great choices that I like are the Springfield XDm and also the S&W M&P Shield.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Save another $150 and head to Bradis. I think they had a P226 for around that price... at least they did last week. If it's still there, you could put it on layaway.

That ^^^^^

I'd rarely suggest selling ammo, especially in the middle of a shortage, but you stated you have a couple thousand rounds... Maybe sell a portion to make up for that difference and get what you would really like...

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The P226 is an awesome gun, but the grip is pretty chunky. The Beretta 92 series even moreso. If his wife is going to be shooting it and has issues with larger grips, I'd rule both of these out, despite their awesomeness.

I'd suggest an M&P9, XDM or the Px4 with the interchangeable backstraps. The full size M&P/XD will more controllable than their compact counterparts with no significant increase in grip circumference, which is what gives small-handed people issues. The added length doesn't, and in fact make them easier to control.

Just about all of those fall into the OP's desired price range on the used market.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Check out the Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro. It's a compact but not tiny with a 3.25 inch barrel. It's plenty accurate for a range gun and dang fun to shoot. Comes with two 13 rd mags.

You may have to hunt to find one, but they can be had for less than $500. They are a great value and very solid for the money. mine runs flawlessly.

Thunder-Pro-UC-9-duoMN-R-prev.jpg

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    A compact gun will usually have a shorter grip that the pinky cannot fit on, which most women hate. Full size grips are not wider, they are just long enough for your whole hand, and while you can get pinky extensions for a compact magazine, it won't be any thinner than a full size grip. So it sounds like to me you just need to let her feel various models and then buy the one that feels best. Glock Gen 4's, M&P's, and PX4's all come with adjustable grip sizes too, which might negate that problem.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    For your $500 budget you can get a used 226, if you can find one.
    I picked up a RIA tactical in 9mm for under $500 both are great shooters.
    I know you said you Wife will be shooting too, so maybe check out the RIA the grip is a little narrower.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Look for a FEG (Hungarian copy) or a Kareen (Israeli copy) for an affordable Browning High-Power. Both are 100% copies of the FN P35 and can usually be seen for less than $400.
    I was going to suggest the FEG Hi-Power. I bought mine earlier this year for $339 off gunbroker. It's the one in the middle. I also have 2 Kahr CM9s I bought this year. The last one was a couple weeks ago for $359 with extra 7 round mag off gunbroker. Very happy with all.
    0620131156_zps40f53ec2.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Not to mess up a perfectly glock-free thread, but a 33rd mag seems to help with the range/reload issue, no?

Should be able to find a G17/19 for $500.

Top Bottom