• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    When I first got my 9mm I wanted to test some of the ammo I had for it. I pretty much found all that I was looking for except for 2 types, HST and Black Talon. Well I have something close to Black Talon, the Winchester SXT's. :):

Anyhow, I have these ready to test if I get the time to do a quality test of the different types of ammo. Most of these are JHP and PD rounds but I have added some of my other ammo to 'fill the box'.

I am wondering, would this make a good trade item? I am not keen on getting rid of them but I have the rest of the packages that I bought.:dunno:

I thought that someone might want to do a test with a wide variety of ammo and this way, that person would not have to search and buy large quantities per se. :ingo:

There are (10) rounds of each type listed, and I think the Golden Sabers are repeated once.

I am not sure of the value, I have the costs but haven't got into that much detail.

SET (1)
    Sellier & Bellot .........................................................115G JHP
    Remington Golden Saber (+P) (GS9MMD) .............124G JHP
    Remington Golden Saber (GS9MMC) ......................147G JHP
    Hornady Critical Defense FTX ................................115G JHP
    Federal Hi-Shok (+P+) ...........................................115G JHP
    Federal Hydra-Shok (PD9HS5)................................135G JHP
    Winchester SXT (S9) ................................................147G JHP
    Winchester PDX1 ....................................................147G JHP
    Winchester Ranger Bonded (+P) ............................147G JHP
    MagTech .................................................................115G JHP
    9mmSD-I.jpg

SET (2)
    Speer Gold Dots GDHP (+P) ......................................124G JHP
    Federal Hydra-Shok (P9HS1) .....................................124G JHP
    Hornady TAP FPD .....................................................124G JHP
    Corbon DPX (+P) ......................................................115G JHP
    Winchester PDX1 (+P) ..............................................124G JHP
    Corbon (+P) ..............................................................115G JHP
    Federal Hi-Shok ........................................................115G JHP
    Remington Golden Saber (+P) (GS9MMD) ..............124G JHP
    Winchester SXZ9 .......................................................115G JHP
    Remington UMC .......................................................115G JHP
    9mmSD-II.jpg

SET (3)
    Winchester WB .....................................115G FMJ
    Blazer Brass .........................................115G FMJ
    Blazer Aluminum .................................115G FMJ
    Winchester SXZ9 .................................115G FMJ
    PMC Bronze ........................................115G FMJ
    Brown Bear ..........................................115G FMJ
    Wolf .....................................................115G FMJ
    American Eagle ...................................115G FMJ
    Winchester (NATO) .............................124G FMJ
    Winchester Ranger (+P+) ...................115G JHP
    9mmSD-III.jpg

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've already settled on my SD ammo, but this looks like a good setup. Pulling together all of these different types of ammo is a chore. You should offer it and see what it attracts. If not here, then on one of the auction sites. Good luck.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Thanks, I will see if there is any interest and if so I might post it on the WTT board, for now I just was curious of the interest in stuff like this. I plan on doing a good test someday but it is hard for me to get a quality place to shoot like that. I was planning something like they would do at BoxOtruth.com.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I think that's a great idea. It would get EXTREMELY expensive to purchase rounds to test. Realistically, how many rounds of each one do you really need to fire for your "sample"? You seem like you would be a "numbers" guy!

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    My plan was to fire (5), unless I was able to set up penetration setups as well. In that case probably (2) for the penetration test and (5) for accuracy and consistency. Then again, I am not near good enough for the accuracy test, must have a vice or something to that effect.

kfarmerk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I use a different caliber for SD, so it's not helpful to me, but I'm sure it would for other 9mm guys. Test the market to see what kind of support you get on price and volume as Pudly suggested.

Keep in mind, the ammo manufacturers spend a lot of money on research and development to prove their product, especially to government agencies. I went through a similar experiment a few years ago, only to learn what was already proven. All I could say was, "yep, they are right." Verify that the ammo meets your personal specifications, but don't spend a lot of time, money, and effort to end up in the same spot.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I use a different caliber for SD, so it's not helpful to me, but I'm sure it would for other 9mm guys. Test the market to see what kind of support you get on price and volume as Pudly suggested.

Well I looked into before I bought, and I believe the 9mm is superior in ways to the .45ACP for the same reasons that the Army did. I do not go as far to say it is the best round by any means but it is at least 85-90% as effective with the right ammo with 100% more rounds. But that is a another thread that I am sure will get heated. I now have a .45 OACP that I could carry but I think I will stick with my 9mm and .38 Snubbie for now..

Keep in mind, the ammo manufacturers spend a lot of money on research and development to prove their product, especially to government agencies. I went through a similar experiment a few years ago, only to learn what was already proven. All I could say was, "yep, they are right." Verify that the ammo meets your personal specifications, but don't spend a lot of time, money, and effort to end up in the same spot.

I looked and read as much as I could about them. The HST was one that the information was a bit lacking on but for the most part different articles said different things. Of those listed I would rate the Golden Saber and Rangers as being the better most of the time, with the PDX1 sometimes even winning out.

Thanks for the input...:yesway:

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    When I first got my 9mm I wanted to test some of the ammo I had for it. I pretty much found all that I was looking for except for 2 types, HST and Black Talon. Well I have something close to Black Talon, the Winchester SXT's. :):

Anyhow, I have these ready to test if I get the time to do a quality test of the different types of ammo. Most of these are JHP and PD rounds but I have added some of my other ammo to 'fill the box'.

I am wondering, would this make a good trade item? I am not keen on getting rid of them but I have the rest of the packages that I bought.:dunno:

I thought that someone might want to do a test with a wide variety of ammo and this way, that person would not have to search and buy large quantities per se. :ingo:

There are (10) rounds of each type listed, and I think the Golden Sabers are repeated once.

I am not sure of the value, I have the costs but haven't got into that much detail.

SET (1)
    Sellier & Bellot .........................................................115G JHP
    Remington Golden Saber (+P) (GS9MMD) .............124G JHP
    Remington Golden Saber (GS9MMC) ......................147G JHP
    Hornady Critical Defense FTX ................................115G JHP
    Federal Hi-Shok (+P+) ...........................................115G JHP
    Federal Hydra-Shok (PD9HS5)................................135G JHP
    Winchester SXT (S9) ................................................147G JHP
    Winchester PDX1 ....................................................147G JHP
    Winchester Ranger Bonded (+P) ............................147G JHP
    MagTech .................................................................115G JHP
    9mmSD-I.jpg

SET (2)
    Speer Gold Dots GDHP (+P) ......................................124G JHP
    Federal Hydra-Shok (P9HS1) .....................................124G JHP
    Hornady TAP FPD .....................................................124G JHP
    Corbon DPX (+P) ......................................................115G JHP
    Winchester PDX1 (+P) ..............................................124G JHP
    Corbon (+P) ..............................................................115G JHP
    Federal Hi-Shok ........................................................115G JHP
    Remington Golden Saber (+P) (GS9MMD) ..............124G JHP
    Winchester SXZ9 .......................................................115G JHP
    Remington UMC .......................................................115G JHP
    9mmSD-II.jpg

SET (3)
    Winchester WB .....................................115G FMJ
    Blazer Brass .........................................115G FMJ
    Blazer Aluminum .................................115G FMJ
    Winchester SXZ9 .................................115G FMJ
    PMC Bronze ........................................115G FMJ
    Brown Bear ..........................................115G FMJ
    Wolf .....................................................115G FMJ
    American Eagle ...................................115G FMJ
    Winchester (NATO) .............................124G FMJ
    Winchester Ranger (+P+) ...................115G JHP
    9mmSD-III.jpg

Welcome to the Edsinger Box o' truth show!

What are the variables and the test parameters?

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well I dont have the proper place to do the test but that was my intention when I bought them. This is a grouping of the ammo I have managed to gather during the last year or so...

I was just contemplating whether to use thi sstuff a trade material. See some of these were 20 round boxes and such so I still have enough of the ammo to complete another 3 of these boxes.

But I do like Edsinger's Box O Truth...

Maybe we can have some official INGO reviews etc....

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Are those all factory rounds? I hope so. Do not use reloads for PD, that would only benefit the perps' lawyers.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I got them locally in '08. Keislers/Orion Arms in Clarksville had HST's in .40S&W and .45ACP up until a week ago... haven't seen it in 9mm for a looong time.

Yeah I am hoping I can get some someday...

Maybe then I can do my 'testing'. Any real test would have to have HST included, from my understanding it is the BEST.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I ran into some .45's for $35 a box of 50. I only bought one box. I should have bought both but I didn't need them.

I will have to see about a range test for these. I still have the others and such.

the cost of melons would be too much but I have an idea. As a kid, I remember my dad talking of a test done to show the power of the 44 mag vs the 45, 38, 357 etc. They used a standard setup of 1" pieces of pine wood and all things being equal, the one that went through the most won. If I remember right the 44 did with 18"'s of pine. This goes back to many years to fully remember but pine is not flesh per se so I would have to come up with something that would allow expansion and depth.

I am open to ideas and if I do this I will need some help from INGO and it would be posted here.

Imagine all the new guys Googling ammo comparisons and getting a INGO hit. Then again, that might not be a good idea.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My plan was to fire (5), unless I was able to set up penetration setups as well. In that case probably (2) for the penetration test and (5) for accuracy and consistency. Then again, I am not near good enough for the accuracy test, must have a vice or something to that effect.

Just my personal opinion but I don't give two hoots about accuracy.

If I am going to be using self-defense ammo then it is going to be done at close range. The reality is that even the worst ammo on the planet can probably hit pretty close to my point of aim when the distance to the target is only 2 to 5 yards (and those are common self defense shooting distances).

Now on the other hand, I'd love to see at least 3 penetration tests for each bullet. In a backyard range an acceptable test would include 2 layers of denim material sitting in front of a row of water filled milk jugs. It might take a little time to drink enough milk to have enough jugs for a shooting test like this.

If you have a chronograph, then that would be great, just set it up so that you shoot through it while you shoot at the denim and water jugs. That way you'll collect the velocity data using the same round that is used for the penetration.

3 rounds of each type of ammo should be sufficient.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I am saving jugs now. I would want to test them for accuracy at 10+ yards. You never know but all things being equal, I would think there would be a difference between the different ones and I would want one that I shoot well.

The Denim is a great idea also, I have many jeans that have seen better days.

Top Bottom