• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I just bought some 9mm cast bullets from the Outdoors shop in Greenwood.They are 115gr when I was loading them some of them were up to 3.5grs different in weight is that common for lead bullets?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It would matter enough where I would find another source. Out of curiosity, I just weighed a random 10 from Missouri bullets. They are 125 gr and all are within 3 TENTHS. But, I wouldn't be afraid to use what you got. Just follow the same precautions as you normally would anyhow... Start toward minimum with your charge, and watch that A.O.L. In my opinion, this would be more a consistency issue than safety. You might find that a source like Missouri bullets will be better / more consistent quality and possibly, have a better price.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    +1 for Missouri, I weighed 10 of my 115gr bullets and only 2 of the 10 were not right on at 115. The 2 were off 2 tenths a grain. I have had great luck with the quality of all the bullets I have purchased from them.:twocents:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the info think I will shoot these up and go with a different bullet.

You will be fine using them. 3 grs is just alot of variance IMO. Here, I am only seeing a few tenths with the Missouri and also Oregon trail. You can look up Missouri's website and check the prices yourself. You might find they are even cheaper. They also have a flat rate shipping that is reasonable. Good luck !

Click here: Missouri Bullet Company

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Weight variance will not cause any problems, unless you are looking for Match Grade accuracy. I cast my own lead boolits, and don't see any performance issues even though they vary a couple of grains either side of what they are designed. My 400gr usually run around 395 to 402 and my 200gr usually run 198 to 205.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Weight variance will not cause any problems, unless you are looking for Match Grade accuracy. I cast my own lead boolits, and don't see any performance issues even though they vary a couple of grains either side of what they are designed. My 400gr usually run around 395 to 402 and my 200gr usually run 198 to 205.

And I can vouch, those are still killer accurate loads :D

Iron22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Plainfield
    I weighed some Beartooth bullets I recieved from a gun show and they were 4 grain variance but are still acceptably accurrate?

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I just bought some 9mm cast bullets from the Outdoors shop in Greenwood.They are 115gr when I was loading them some of them were up to 3.5grs different in weight is that common for lead bullets?

I would buy elsewhere if i were you....+/- more than 1gr would be alot to me...

Top Bottom