• ...and so much more!
  • Wa22ioR

Unapologetically American
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Hey guys,

I am new to 9mm, usually a .45 ACP guy, and was recently given about 250 rounds of Federal 9BPLE. First off, I would like to mention that I am a big fan of Federal ammunition, especially the Tactical line, in any loading and platform, to include shotgun. My department issues Federal HST .45 ACP, which I totally trust to do its job. However, when I was given this ammo, which I believe contains Federal's Hi-Shok bullet, I was like ok cool, some cheap JHP ammo to shoot with. Would have looked on it as much worse, like Wal-Mart JHP, if it hadn't been Federal. However, since it was older bullet technology, I wasn't giving it much of a chance to become carry ammunition. I was just going to use it until I could get my hands on some nice Federal HST in 9mm.

So I got home, started doing some research on the internet and have not been able to find any bad words about this ammunition really. I mostly read things like "street credential," "proven stopper," "street proven," and you get the just. However, I never see actual links to the reports or records of the street credentials. Not saying it isn't true, would just like to see them. However, I suppose if Mas Ayoob says it to be, then it probably is... :): Anyway, I found the below posted gelatin test by TnOutdoors9, whom is awesome and does great reviews, and it blew my mind. I was like, "Woah! 9mm done that?! Looks like the Grand Canyon" Haha... Anyways, that really peaked my fancy, cause I was like wow, if the ammo really behaves and tests like that, no wonder it's such a time tested fight stopper. That test is one of the best, violent, tests I have seen of any bullet, of any caliber. Not only was is it extremely impressive as far as stretch cavity, but the permanent cavity and penetration was quite impressive as well. I know the jacket sheared a little, but to be honest, I would take that bit of separation as long as the bullet behaves like it done in the test and got the needed penetration. I look at it as it's something the threat, or bad guy, and the doctors have to account for. :evilangel:

However, I would think it would not hold up well against barriers, such as metal, plywood, or auto glass very well. Maybe that is the bullet's design age catching up with it? Cause there are several non-bonded bullets that perform well in those barriers, such as HST.

Final thoughts after some tests and shooting the cartridge. The ammunition is cheap to ensure reliability out of your given firearm. You get 50 rounds for approximately $17, so you can practice a lot with given carry ammunition. Seems to be a reliable and proven fight stopper with great tests results in gelatin that I have seen and gets high remarks from some industry professionals in the know.

I have yet to test the ammunition through barriers, such as the ones mentioned above, but will try to in the not too distant future. Based on bullet design, age, and results from tests, I would not expect it to hold up well in such barriers.

Bang for the buck is great in my opinion?? Please share your thoughts, testing, resources, and experience with this round. Enjoy the video by TnOutdoors9!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iiaXoRaRY[/ame]

Stay Safe,

Wa22ioR

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    50 rounds for $17? Is this LE only?! That bullet DESTROYED the gelatin!

It's like any other Law Enforcement ammunition. They, the cartridge company, will not individually sell to civilians the ammunition, but tyey do sell to distributors, that in turn, sell to civilians. Nothing illegal about owning the ammunitiin and shooting it, just the cartridge company policy.. Winchester does it as well with their Ranger series ammunition.

Just look for it online. Hope this helps.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I use this ammo in my Taurus PT92, but its a bit on the hot side for most pocket 9s, and even a few full size ones. Shooting allot in any gun would be wise to look into keeping a spare recoil spring handy, just in case. It is a pretty well respected performer, and very hot for a 9mm load.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    While Gold Dots, HST & Ranger T series are twice as expensive, I'd rather pay the money and have something that is better. I used to carry this round back when I first started carrying and it was IMO the best round of it's time, but that time has passed.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I still carry 9BPLE. It's ended more fights than any other 9mm because for years its all that was around. It will mushroom just as reliably as the fancy 9mm out now...they just open up into ninja stars of death. I like the stuff. I was looking to buy some more, but I found 9mm 147gr HST for about $17/50 on a once in a lifetime deal so I'll be carrying that for awhile. No reservations about the +p+ stuff though in the future.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Wa22ioR

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I still carry 9BPLE. It's ended more fights than any other 9mm because for years its all that was around. It will mushroom just as reliably as the fancy 9mm out now...they just open up into ninja stars of death. I like the stuff. I was looking to buy some more, but I found 9mm 147gr HST for about $17/50 on a once in a lifetime deal so I'll be carrying that for awhile. No reservations about the +p+ stuff though in the future.

Sounds like you got a great deal... Hard to pass up HST at that pricepoint. However, i know that in 9mm at one time, 147 grain JHP were a no no amongst those that know. Has that line of thought chained with better technology and materials then?

Wa22ioR

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    ^^^ This.

9BPLE is fine, but there are now better choices available.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

While Gold Dots, HST & Ranger T series are twice as expensive, I'd rather pay the money and have something that is better. I used to carry this round back when I first started carrying and it was IMO the best round of it's time, but that time has passed.

Think so? You think there's that much of a difference to justify that much of a price increase, even with this round's reputation? Not challenging or anything, just like to get others points of view.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've carried 9BPLE in all of my pistols that can handle it - and the PF9 gets standard 9BP. I have about 500 rounds of it laid in right now and I'll be needing to pick up some more in the near future. If i can't get it down with 18 rounds of 9BPLE, I'm in the kind of trouble that Gold Dots or HST's aren't going to save me from.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    When I carried a 9mm it was one of my favorites. It fed reliably in every gun I tried (Glock 19 and 26, M&P9c, Kahr CM9, Ruger P95, CZ 75) and was very accurate. In fact it was surprisingly accurate in the PM9.

I've heard claims on the internet that it's a poor penetration but I take that with a grain of salt. Accounts from LE agencies seem to indicate it does a good job.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Think so? You think there's that much of a difference to justify that much of a price increase, even with this round's reputation? Not challenging or anything, just like to get others points of view.

Well, I said as much in my post, so yes, I do think that it is worth that premium. The new rounds expand better when barriers are introduced. If I were only shooting naked people that weren't hiding behind a door/wall/windshield, then I'd think differently. Unfortunately, I can't choose the circumstances so I'm going to get the round that I think has the greatest chance of successfully critically injuring my attacker under the most varied of situations. The old Federal stuff isn't that round, IMO.

To me, $17 more after spending $500-$1,000 on a gun, $75-$140 on holster, another $100 on mags and more on accessories for the pistol, just isn't that big of deal. I'm not shooting thousands of rounds of defensive ammo per year.

Top Bottom