• Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Hi all,

Due to my extreme ignorance on AR pattern rifles...I have a question. Or four.

If I were to buy this: PSA 9mm Bolt Carrier Assembly - AR-9

What else would I need to "make it work" besides a charging handle?

Not talking the small parts required to complete an upper, but larger parts.

I see mostly ARs in centerfire you can buy a complete BCG; but this is just sold as a bolt assembly. Surely there's something missing from the Palmetto item that I'd need?

Thanks.

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Why not just buy a complete upper assembly from them? You'll get everything you need (minus the mag well block if you go with the $399 one). After you add in the barrel, upper receiver, and everything else, you are going to be at that price if not higher. Last time I looked a 9MM AR barrel was around $150-200 alone. Add that with just the 9mm BCG and you're already over the $399 kit that has everything ready to go (minus the magwell block).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    because I bought a stripped upper.

because PSA doesn't sell a complete upper with a barrel as short as I want.

because I'm not in financial position just yet to plunk down the money a complete upper costs.

because I want to buy parts piece/meal and then build/assemble it myself.

Should I go on?

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Feel free to if you want.

Other than normal parts to build the upper, only special item you will need is the magwell block. If you can get one that drops in from the top that would be ideal. They tend to work better than the ones you insert from the bottom of the magwell.

With regards to are there anything missing from the PSA 9mm BCG...no there isn't anything missing. It will drop in an upper and work just fine. Keep in mind, you will not need a gas tube or anything like that since its blowback operated instead of being a traditional gas operated AR.

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    what lower did you get? been looking at DDLES (yea, they aren't in business anymore), but another company is making them now, but i cannot recall who it is.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    The 9mm AR is blow back, not gas operated with a locking bolt in the carrier, so it does use a simple bolt in place of the BCG. The Colt design that everyone has copied is designed to pick up a round from either seed of a conventional twin feed SMG type mag. If your dedicated 9mm lower uses pistol mags that taper to a single feed you'll need to get the bolt machined for compatibility. Lone Wolf does it for $45 - https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=187889&CAT=2895 - and I'm sure other shops do it as well.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    My get-up is Colt pattern.

got 1 mag as a Christmas present... Need a whole pile more. :D

Metalform mags are the only way to go and they aren't cheap($30 a mag). Colt branded Metalform mags are $50+. Converted UZI mags were once dirt cheap, but have since dried up. I only have 4 Colt mags(2x32, 2x20) and that is all I really need, but have considered picking up more for range time since they are a PITA to load.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    "Shoot from da hip! Da ATF is vatching!"

MV5BMTM1Njk0MjIwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzgwNzEyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My wife will not be happy to know I've learned of the existence of this:

PSA 10.5" 9mm SQR 7" Pistol Kit w/ SBX Sig Brace - AR-9

The PSA Metalform mags aren't too pricey either. Any reviews of the PSA magblock?

I've looked at all those PSA kits... And they really are a GREAT deal if you want that long of a barrel.

I gave up hoping they'd come out with a ~5-6" barrel. Even as a stand-along piece to purchase!

My eventual plans are to have a short barrel like that + a suppressor.

I'm guessing that I MAY have to have the rail system modified to work around such a short barrel - as I'd want easy / quick access to putting a suppressor on / off. Hard to do that if it's stuck 3-4" under a rail.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I've looked at all those PSA kits... And they really are a GREAT deal if you want that long of a barrel.

I gave up hoping they'd come out with a ~5-6" barrel. Even as a stand-along piece to purchase!

My eventual plans are to have a short barrel like that + a suppressor.

I'm guessing that I MAY have to have the rail system modified to work around such a short barrel - as I'd want easy / quick access to putting a suppressor on / off. Hard to do that if it's stuck 3-4" under a rail.

That's exactly how I have mine set-up.

bedjp.jpg

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    My wife will not be happy to know I've learned of the existence of this:

PSA 10.5" 9mm SQR 7" Pistol Kit w/ SBX Sig Brace - AR-9

The PSA Metalform mags aren't too pricey either. Any reviews of the PSA magblock?

I recently bought and built a PSA AR-9. The magblock works well, very tight fit, had to grease it and used a block of wood to install it in a PSA lower, Mags fit tight and gun feeds and works properly. Have only test fired it for funtion, haven't taken it to the range yet.

Top Bottom