• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I have not owned a 9 mm for many years and now think I may need one if the world goes to hell. anyway, seeing some good deals on bulk 115 and 124 gr bullets, will be using universal powder, which do you prefer?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We shoot nothing but 124 grain 9mm's that we reload. I dont load them with Universal I use Unique in a +P amount.
    I tend to cast my own or I buy from,
    Coated from Summit City who is an Industry Partner here on INGO
    and Jacketed from,
    Rocky Mountain.

What pushed you into loading with Universal?

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Depends on the pistol. My Beretta 92FS will only shoot 124 grn pills as I believe it was regulated for 124 grain pills per NATO specifications. Same goes for my Sig P226. Had a S&W SD9VE and it shot 115's fine. Again, depends on the pistol.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    We shoot nothing but 124 grain 9mm's that we reload. I dont load them with Universal I use Unique in a +P amount.
    and Jacketed from,
    Rocky Mountain.

I use it in all of my pistol reloads(32 auto,38,40,357 sig,44sp, 45LC) and 16 ga, but since the shortage I am using WSF for 16 ga. It meters great, very consistent, lots of load data

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    and Jacketed from,
    Rocky Mountain.

I have bought from RMR before, good product

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    124gr if you're reloading. It's hard to justify 115gr on cost basis since factory ammo (from reputable companies) are getting cheaper since the corona times. Granted I can still press out 115gr for 14 cents per round, that's not much different than something off the shelf. I've got to 124gr or 147gr just because it sounds better out of a suppressor.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I tried 115, 124, and 147 grain in my S & W 9mm Shield 2.0. The flash corona at night with the 147 grain was about 3 foot in diameter. Couldn't see anything after the first shot. The 124 was not as big about 1 foot but still hard to deal with. The 115 hardly produced a flash. This was ammo made by Fiocchi. My carry ammo is Hornady or Speer now and almost no flash. I suspect a longer barrel would give more time for the power to burn and create less flash.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    I tried 115, 124, and 147 grain in my S & W 9mm Shield 2.0. The flash corona at night with the 147 grain was about 3 foot in diameter. Couldn't see anything after the first shot. The 124 was not as big about 1 foot but still hard to deal with. The 115 hardly produced a flash. This was ammo made by Fiocchi. My carry ammo is Hornady or Speer now and almost no flash. I suspect a longer barrel would give more time for the power to burn and create less flash.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience.

CB1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    I have never tried Universal but have loaded 9mm with lots of different powders. I have used a variety of 115/124/147 grain bullets to develop satisfactory to excellent loads. Between 115 and 124's, I would lean towards the 124's just based on my personal experience out of my pistols. Like a lot of things in life, sometimes in the middle is the sweet spot.

Reactions: Leo

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I’ve had better accuracy with 124 and 147 so I tend to keep somewhere between those 2 as my go to in 9mm. Just been my experience

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    In shorter barreled pistols, I prefer 115 grain simply because they generate a tad more velocity and are slightly easier to handle, felt recoil-wise. In a duty-sized pistol, I prefer 124 grain and in the EPC-9 with the 10.5" heavy barrel, it absolutely loves standard pressure 147 grain for accuracy!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    thanks for your responses, looks like I need to buy a 9mm gun first, try it out with some factory ammo and proceed accordingly
    That is what I ALWAYS do. It costs me some money, but i go buy 10 or si boxes of self defense ammo, various grains, and shoot groups of 5. Then I carry what is best. For me 124 hr Federal HSTt or Hornady usually groups best. Is it enough to REALLY matter, on paper, yes, IRL probably not but psychologically it does.

That said ask the manufacturer what they tested the gun with.

For my Beretta 92 that I bought as a teenager because it was all the movie rage, I always bout 115 because it's all over the place. When I got into my 30s, I got a little more serious and did some research. Beretta tested that gun on 124 gr so I tried it. They were right!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    That is what I ALWAYS do. It costs me some money, but i go buy 10 or si boxes of self defense ammo, various grains, and shoot groups of 5. Then I carry what is best. For me 124 hr Federal HSTt or Hornady usually groups best. Is it enough to REALLY matter, on paper, yes, IRL probably not but psychologically it does.

That said ask the manufacturer what they tested the gun with.

For my Beretta 92 that I bought as a teenager because it was all the movie rage, I always bout 115 because it's all over the place. When I got into my 30s, I got a little more serious and did some research. Beretta tested that gun on 124 gr so I tried it. They were right!
    While all guns have their loads they like. The issue with 115 factory loaded range ammo is a couple things.

1st 9mm 115 ball target range fodder is made or put together about as cheap as it can be. 2 while no it’s not a sniper round or anything I also believe the mass on 115 ball can sometimes be just enough less than 124-147 that you can see some diminishing accuracy. Nothing that makes it unsuitable to put it in a A zone but not match grade either.
    Now I use to be issued Federal 9bp 115 JHP and it was a lot more accurate than any ball 115 so if it’s a premium load it should (should) shoot better than ball no matter the grain weight

I have. Early S&W M&P that shoots like a laser with 115, 124 and 147 and probably would of loaded white rocks in a case too LOL

My Sig 226 Legion while is pretty accurate with anything a 124 and 147 is night and day difference better!

Top Bottom