• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Has anyone bought and machined and used one of these? My understanding is that they are legal without a serial number. Does anyone know if they really are? Want to use it to make a pistol ?

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    You can make any gun you want, they do not need serial numbers. However, it certainly would help prevent an LEO seeing you with a gun minus serial number. Sure, you couldn't be charged, but it could help prevent confusion. Doesn't have to be much, could even be just your initials.

IIRC, as long as the receiver has NEVER been used to make a rifle, you can use it to make a handgun/pistol. Since it is an 80% receiver, you should be ok. IANAL

EDIT: found this on another site.

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    thanks for the info. going for 10.5" .458 socom pistol . Deer legal and probably insane muzzel blast.

Have fun with that! Sounds like it will be a hoot to shoot. Be sure and post pics of the process, I enjoy reading about stuff like that.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    will do . Its the $700 for the upper thats slowing me down. Maching center already programmed. Wife is not being as understanding as I had hoped for .

Top Bottom