• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    After Gun Goes Off in Apartment

The gun did not just go off. The article says "Wharton told officers he did not pull the trigger and did not know the gun was loaded" Guns don't go off if the trigger is not pulled. #1 rule of gun saftey is all guns are loaded at all times. This guy was a :dumbass: who didn't check the gun before he handled it. Articles written like this give guns and gun owners a bad repuation. I'm just glad that the girl was not killed and only injured.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Police said the girl's father was visiting a friend, and the two were looking at the friend's hunting rifle when it went off.

Time to start rounding up hunting rifles before they all start turning on their owners, friends, and family!

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    Yea, after he told the cops that he didn't know the gun was loaded, he went on to say that after he fired the first shot, he cleared the spent round and ejected 4 addidtional live rounds.

What a friggin r-tard.

On top of that, the tv-news said he was on a list of controlled substances. oxy, valium, and alcohol just to name a few. He will do some well earned jail time.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    Who takes their 8 year old to visit a friend at midnight?

yes, and furthermore, why wasn't the girls father taken out and beaten? why the F**K would you let anyone, anywhere, anytime handle a firearm around your kids if you know they have been A) drinking and B) using drugs? absolutely insane, at least to me. when will people be held accountable for stupid behavior? hopefully more comes of this but i could see child endangerment charges coming down the line for a certain stupid-a$$ "daddy". i hope when he arrived home with his now-injured daughter, that his wife took all of his guns away!

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Wow, you guys are vicious. It was an accident. Yeah, he was an idiot for not knowing how to properly handle a firearm, but jeez.

I hope none of you ever miss the blind spot and hit another car on the road. Your fellow drivers will be calling for you to "be sterilized so he cannot reproduce and injure any further children".

Accidents do happen once in a while on Earth. I'll just say he could have been a lot more careful and shouldn't have been drinking while messing with the firearm. It could have been avoided, but so could every other accident in the world.

Just remember that hindsight is always 20/20 and none of us are infallible.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Wow, you guys are vicious. It was an accident. Yeah, he was an idiot for not knowing how to properly handle a firearm, but jeez.

I hope none of you ever miss the blind spot and hit another car on the road. Your fellow drivers will be calling for you to "be sterilized so he cannot reproduce and injure any further children".

Accidents do happen once in a while on Earth. I'll just say he could have been a lot more careful and shouldn't have been drinking while messing with the firearm. It could have been avoided, but so could every other accident in the world.

there are injuries due to accidents, like you described, and injuries due to recklessness, immaturity, and stupidity.

take my daughter to a friends house at midnight? sure. handle firearms around her? sure. let other people handle firearms around her? after ive ensured its clear, sure. handle a firearm around my daughter(or anyone else. but especially her) while under the influence? come on now.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Guns do discharge when triggers are not pulled. We need to remember everytime we load or unload a weapon the weapon can discharge.

Lessons learned:

1. Nothing good happens between 11PM and 4AM.

2. Intoxicants and firearms do not mix.

3. Shelter your children from the stupidity of the world.

4. Everytime we load or unload the firearm can discharge.

5. Do not show off firearms unless you have a safe backstop like a big pile of dirt.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Agreed.

It's an all-around bad situation, but accidents happen, and firearms occasionally do discharge without pulling the trigger, it's called a mechanical failure and I've had it happen to me before. The problem was promptly corrected.

Also, it appears from the article that the girl was hit by concrete and bullet fragments, indicating to me that the rifle was pointed in a fairly safe direction at the time, but the "backstop" should have been a little further away.

The only thing I can see this guy being guilty of is playing with firearms while under the influence of several different drugs that were obviously effecting his system, and not checking to be sure the firearm was unloaded.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    This could of been a heck of a lot worse so Thank God for that. That being said, the father (imo) is a POS.
    -The "Late" hour of night, not a big deal.
    -The handling of firearms, not a big deal (safely).
    -The alcohol and DRUGS...Not flipping OK. EVER. Period.

Along with the Jail time he may get...he needs parenting classes. Lots of them.

Edited: I get that accidents happen...but unless he accidentally took oxy, valium and alcohol together....That theory doesn't apply in this case.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom