• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phishb0y

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I was visiting a friend and the guys were sent out to pick up dinner for everyone. On the way to the restaurant I saw a sigh for a gun store I had never been to before, so I convinced my buddy to stop as I always like to look at a new gun store. It is out of the way in a part of Indiana few travel so I was not expecting much, but was excited to see a sign on the door that they had 22lr in stock. I go inside and it is a small but nice and clean store and I look at some of the guns on display and the prices are a little high, but nothing insane and inline with the current climate. I then ask about the ammo and the owner points out a stack of approx 20 boxes of different calibers and I head over to pick up some 22. I look at the box of 325 rounds and expect to see a price of $20ish and notice it says $75.00. I must have hard a real strange look on my face because the owner comes over and ask me is the a problem and I look at him and say is this a political statement or error in the price tag. He proceeds to tell me he is selling all his ammo at jt cost and that is a real price. I smile and say good thing I bought a few rounds before Obamas second term so I still have a supply. He then proceeds to talk about p-mags and how a $12 magazine was selling anywhere from $40 to $100 at the height of the panic and that justifies his current pricing of 22lr. I smile and leave never to return.

John

may have to go back just to snap pic of box as a memento.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just an FYI but PMags are back down to $12 - $16 most places.

22 is still in short supply. I have no problem with LGS marking it up a bit. $75 seems a bit high though and truthfully a bit out of line. If the LGS sold it at normal margin then somebody would just buy it all so catch 22. (LOL no pun) I know of some LGS that has a small supply of 22 hidden in the back for people who purchase a gun.

22 has actually been in short supply since before the last panic. At least the better quality stuff. At that time LGS for the most part did not stock much 22. My LGS told me before the panic they might sell a couple of cases of 22 a year. You heard right, about 10k rounds a year. The previous owner actually advised me to buy ammo at WalMart because their prices were similar to what he paid from his distributer.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Wow. The MOST I've paid for .22 was $50 for a 550rd bulk box and that was when it was really impossible to find and I wanted to make a kid happy. It was also at an LGS who I knew was selling it for not much more than they got it for. Vote with your wallet, the price will come down when it sits on the shelf for awhile.

I'll make you a deal though, 325 rds for $70, that's $5 off! :p

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I feel real old right now. When I was 16 I could buy Winchester Super X yellow box .22lr for 50 cents a box. That's .01 per round. I guess I'm still stuck in the 60's. sigh

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    Yesterday, Gander Mountain in Caselton had Federal 325 round can's for $19.99 and 525 bulk packs of 22lr for $25. So yea, I would have expected somewhere in the $20-30 range at a gun store. I don't consider Gander's prices to be like Walmart's...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Saw a factoid on one of the gold rush shows the other day. At the peak of the rush, a gallon of milk went to $30 or over $800 in today's value.

If you're butthurt now...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Man my two Bucket of Bullets are looking good right now, and my buddies said I was crazey to pay 100.00 for each of them.

I know I have less than $400 in this. Probably closer to $300.

D5766C81-B0E5-4FE1-A415-09FA02DBC622-630-00000075C4A06DBF_zps8ab8a464.jpg

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    I just had a similar experience. Was at my in-laws in southern Indiana, and my father-in-law and went to a gun show in Owensboro. At one table were 2 boxes of 100 ct mini-mags. I just picked up some at Gander for 7.99 a box. I was expecting $10 or $12. The guy said $35. I know my mouth dropped open, and he said the standard ones are $16. When I said I just paid 7.99 at Gander, he waved me a off and walked away. To say I was shocked was an understatement. Frankly, I thought 7.99 was a bit high.

Top Bottom