• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    She will. Fully expect legislation banning the manufacture of firearms by anyone other than a licensed builder.

That ends it right there.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    She will. Fully expect legislation banning the manufacture of firearms by anyone other than a licensed builder.

That ends it right there.
    I think anyone building pipe guns in the first place is rather likely to ignore the law.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am old enough to remember when the "Zip Gun" was one of the Gang guns in Chicago, responsible for many deaths (usually other gang members for what that's worth). They were made from the Automobile Radio antennas on the 1940' thru early 60's cars. The gang members carried a (I believe it was a 12 common about 3" long filed to a chisel point and a rubber band in their pockets along with 22LR cartridges. When they wanted a weapon, they broke an antenna off a parked vehicle. Then pulled the top section or two out. The lower section was a fit for the brass head and the next section was just about a 22 cal inside diameter. They would then insert the nail in the lower section, slide the sections until the nail would strike the cartridge. Then they laced the rubber band over their fingers and over the nail. Pull back the nail and release and the 22 fired. Doubt the accuracy was very good over 4 foot but many were killed at close range. I believe there was a change in automotive antenna design in the early sixties due to this issue. During this era one of the more adventurous young men in my 5th or 6th grade class made a 22 handgun using one of the zinc die cast cap pistols - He drilled out the rivet in the barrel and put a hole through the cap anvil, put a couple of hose clamps on it to hold it together. Put a tube in the barrel - think it was a piece of brake line, filed the hammer to a chisel point & loaded it with a 22 cartridge. He had already fired it at home so when he brought it to school he demonstrated it by firing it at a target on a tree at the edge of the schoolyard. The teachers were pretty upset with him and had the Sheriff visit to talk to him. He chewed him out and left, Tony was back in school the next day! Year or so later he got in trouble again when he brought in a Hand Grenade someone had brought back from WW2. He didn't understand why they were upset, he had taken it apart and removed the primer and explosive himself. They didn't call the Sheriff that day but did really chew him out!
    Things have sure changed in the last 50 - 60 years.......

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    I definately think someone will end up in the ER, if they try to make those, it kind of reminds me of a Spud (Potato) Gun, I wonder if they will try to ban Spuds also, since it uses an flammable propellant vs. air or CO2?

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    That's like a bad episode of MythBusters, should be prefaced with don't try this at home... ever.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I definately think someone will end up in the ER, if they try to make those, it kind of reminds me of a Spud (Potato) Gun, I wonder if they will try to ban Spuds also, since it uses an flammable propellant vs. air or CO2?

I think I have heard that spud guns are illegal in Michigan.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I'll be the voice of dissent, and say that I see no wrong here.

It's a shotgun shell, not a 300 WinMag.

What do you all think your shotgun barrels are made of? Adamantium? Mostly soft steel in reality. Barely hardened at all. Have any of you ever looked at how thin the chamber walls are on most pump shotgun barrels?

Fact is, that steel pipe is more than strong enough to hold the SUB 16K Psi chamber pressures that 12 guage factory ammunition produces. There are others on YouTube making 410 shotguns (same operating pressures as 12ga) out of COPPER water pipes, and shooting them over and over again. The mechanical risk from something like this comes from manufacturing a secure locking mechanism - something which can be as simple as a hinge and a single latch-hook, as seen in the H&R single shots... or just a threaded cap and some 'E' clips

Just because you personally don't have any idea of the forces involved doesn't make it "stupid" for everyone else.

Top Bottom