• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I went to the range today with my room mate and we fired about 200 rounds between our mosin nagants. I did notice that some of the shells seemed to have a small crack in them but only in the russian surplus rounds we were firing.
    picture.php

Some one at the range said it was a head spacing issue in the rifle. After firing a few more rounds (not the best idea) and checking all of them only the Russian surplus (and not all of them) had cracks. I'm guessing the issue is with the rounds and not the rifle. Is this ammo safe to keep using? Is there really a head spacing issue or just cheap ammo?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My guess, is ammo, IMHO, if it were the rifle, I would think, that all the brass would be cracked... Someone, more knowledgeable, than I will either confirm, or not .....

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I've seen that too. I have a few Mosins and it doesn't seem to be a particular gun. I check all the chambers with a field gauge before I fire the guns, so I don't think it's an excessive head space problem. All I shoot is surplus ammo.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've seen that too. I have a few Mosins and it doesn't seem to be a particular gun. I check all the chambers with a field gauge before I fire the guns, so I don't think it's an excessive head space problem. All I shoot is surplus ammo.

Nothing at all to do with headspace. Basically on a Mosin the headspace is approximately the distance from the face of the bolt to the far side of the case rim, so the shoulder area doesn't even figure into the equation. Possible the shoulder area was cut large but if that was the case then every spent casing would be cracked. About the only to determine if that is the case you would have to do a chamber casting.
    What causes the cracks in surplus ammo is when the commies made the cases they didn't bother annealing the shoulder area. Since the metal has been work hardened by the forming process there is a lot of stress in that area and has become brittle over time. The round is fired and instead of stretching to fill the chamber, that area of the case instead cracks. The body of the case is still soft enough to stretch so it does so and seals off the gases.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    ^^ This. +1. What he said.

You're going to get that if you fire a lot of surplus. I've seen the crack run up to rim or down the side of the case. I even had one that split in almost a spiral, saved it for a keychain. It harms nothing. I've had them come out of my PSL, Mosins and when I get a PKM they'll get spit out of that too I imagine.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Nothing at all to do with headspace. Basically on a Mosin the headspace is approximately the distance from the face of the bolt to the far side of the case rim, so the shoulder area doesn't even figure into the equation. Possible the shoulder area was cut large but if that was the case then every spent casing would be cracked. About the only to determine if that is the case you would have to do a chamber casting.
    What causes the cracks in surplus ammo is when the commies made the cases they didn't bother annealing the shoulder area. Since the metal has been work hardened by the forming process there is a lot of stress in that area and has become brittle over time. The round is fired and instead of stretching to fill the chamber, that area of the case instead cracks. The body of the case is still soft enough to stretch so it does so and seals off the gases.

Thanks for the explanation John. :+1: and thanks to everyone else too.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    that guy did pick up like 100 casings and said he was going to get the rest, I guess he didn't. Sidearm, what were you firing?

We were down on the pistol range when you guys were there. By the time we got down to the Rifle side there was only one other guy with his son shooting down there.

I had my AR out on the rifle side, but down on the pistols we had: Sig1911, Ruger SR9c, GSG1911-22, & Taurus 24/7. My buddies had a couple of guns also. One had a new HK P30, I really like it, think I may have to look into the HK line of guns.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom