• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Sloughfoot, the link you have is great. What is the purpose of the charging handle on the heavy walled upper,
    From the site linked in post above:
    billet_side_charge_set_up__1.jpg

Are there rounds that you load as a single shot rather than semi auto?

The thicker walls I assume are due to the round being a powder keg by comparison to .223 and the weight and fit are likely to increase accuracy (?).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sloughfoot, the link you have is great. What is the purpose of the charging handle on the heavy walled upper,
    From the site linked in post above:

Are there rounds that you load as a single shot rather than semi auto?

The thicker walls I assume are due to the round being a powder keg by comparison to .223 and the weight and fit are likely to increase accuracy (?).

Those are all great questions that Robert Whitley would be happy to answer for you, I'm sure.

The only one that I would presume to answer is, Yes, in High Power competition, rounds are loaded singly through the port in the slow fire phases.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

The thicker walls of the upper have nothing to do with the 'powder keg' concept because the chamber is actually up in the barrel. The thicker walls are for rigidity and to keep the upper from flexing under recoil and while the action is moving. Its generally believed that the thicker upper can yield better repeatable accuracy, assuming the rest of the rifle is up to the quality of the upper.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Melonsdad is correct in that the pressures of the 6mm AR are no greater than 223 and that they are contained in the chamber, not the upper.

Again, I wouldn't presume to answer why Robert Whitley uses the heavy wall upper. I have match rifles with both the heavy wall DPMS upper and "standard" walls. I can't detect any accuracy differences between them. I think because the bolt locks up directly with the barrel extension and is not supported in any way by the upper receiver.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom