• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Well, I'm officially old. My son turned 16. So, I did what any good dad would do... went car shopping!
    Technically, this is his second car, because he talked me into a 73 stingray last summer. However, that is a frame off project that had been in a barn for 15 years and is just starting to get reassembled after he spent most of last summer learning how to disassemble and media blast. He informed me he will never forget the time he spent on that frame... ;) Anyway, I have been itching to get something a bit more drivable so we aren't rushed on the Corvette and he has something to play with over the summer.
    1966 Oldsmobile Starfire coupe, 425 big block, 375 horse. Practical? No. Awesome? Hell yes!

photo%202.JPG

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Good to hear that your son is interested in cars. Most younger kids do not even know how to open a hood much less what they are looking at once they are in there.
    That is a nice car too, but those wheels have got to go!!!!

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Good to hear that your son is interested in cars. Most younger kids do not even know how to open a hood much less what they are looking at once they are in there.

I know, I know, those damn wheels. they are like brand new too... a buddy stopped over and asked me if I was gonna be rollin' the barrio. they will have to wait. I have a list of more vital mechanics that he needs to dig in on. shocks, brakes, speedo, choke... he's learning little by little, I had him help me on a frame off motorcycle restore some years back and he really enjoyed it.
    Right now the passenger side turn signals are pissing me off... lol. I did get some of the interior lights working though, and the head, tail and brake lights are functioning.
    He starts spring break Friday, so he'll have plenty to do as long as I can come up with some extra money for parts. If nothing else, he can sand out the body where it needs it and do some glaze work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those were sleepers back in the day. Buddy had one and after a bit of tinkering it would roll out and hold it's own.

Nice find.

Now.....about those ugly A$$ wheels.....:laugh:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Other than a couple of Cutlass models that I bought and flipped, the only Oldsmobile I owned was a 72 ninety eight "bro ham", with EVERYTHING. It was not quick out of the hole, but would roll smooth and quiet down the open road (as long as you were not to far from fuel pumps)
    It is sad that the Oldsmobile brand has gone away.

PS: I like the wheels!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Very nice car, nothing like restoring and preserving American muscle cars. You just don't see that kind of style, design, and swagger in cars these days unless you're spending really serious money. Great to see your son involved.:)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That's badass! My dad was the same way. I'm 21 now, but when I was 15 I bought a '72 vw bus, then I had a '72 Chevy truck. Now I've got a '57 Chevy 210 and a '74 vw thing. I hope he appriciates it, I work on these old things all day 6 days a week and love it! Couldn't imagine doing anything else. Older guy I work with loves olds engines says they make the most power and I believe it he built a 462 olds for my boss that puts out around 600 ft lbs, moves pretty darn good! When my current daily driver gives up I've decided to buy something older to drive daily, most likely a 4 door or wagon for practicality. Have fun and hit up all the car shows!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker

^^^ This.

I won't say they aren't nice wheels but they belong on something from the eighties...not the sixties. You could probably get a set of old steelies for less than what you could sell those for. Black them out and they would belong on the car much better than those. Great job to you though for getting your son interested and involved. My son and I built an awesome sandrail several years ago. The time we spent working on it together means more than any of the time I spent driving it. He was too young to drive it at the time although I did let him spend some time behind the wheel off-road. I hated to sell it but my son didn't mind too much because I used some of the money to buy him his first street car. Now that car has become a project for us.

Top Bottom