• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    64 years ago, on this day, Operation Overlord began.

Take a moment to reflect and have a beer for those who did not return.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    absolutely a day to remember, a day when men stormed beaches, many knowing that would be their last memory. Brave souls, I doubt I could do that when i was 18....

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    My Grandma's brother was on Utah Beach. He unfortunately just passed away last month after a difficult battle with Parkinson's disease.

My grandfather was in North Africa during the war, and not part of Operation Overlord as I understand it.

This certainly is a day in history to remember.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I don't know anyone personally who was there, but my thoughts, prayers, and thanks to all who gave of themselves to keep us free.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    This was borrowed from another board. It is not meant to be disrespectful towards those men and women who have fought for our freedoms but more as a wakeup call to the rest of us just how much our media has changed.

It is once again the Anniversary of the D-Day Invasion on Normandy. This one is always a great read to remind us of the differences in media coverage between 1944 and today.

How Would the D-Day Invasion be Reported today?
    (This is what you would hear if today's media reported on D-Day at Normandy)

June 6, 1944. -NORMANDY- Three hundred French civilians were killed and thousands more wounded today in the first hours of America's invasion of continental Europe. Casualties were heaviest among women and children. Most of the French casualties were the result of artillery fire from American ships attempting to knock out German fortifications prior to the landing of hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops. Reports from a makeshift hospital in the French town of St. Mere Eglise said the carnage was far worse than the French had anticipated and reaction against the American invasion was running high. "We are dying for no reason," said a Frenchman speaking on condition of anonymity. "Americans can't even shoot straight. I never thought I'd say this, but life was better under Adolph Hitler."
    The invasion also caused severe environmental damage. American troops, tanks, trucks and machinery destroyed miles of pristine shoreline and thousands of acres of ecologically sensitive wetlands. It was believed that the habitat of the spineless French crab was completely wiped out, threatening the species with extinction. A representative of Greenpeace said his organization, which had tried to stall the invasion for over a year, was appalled at the destruction, but not surprised. "This is just another example of how the military destroys the environment without a second thought," said Christine Moanmore. "And it's all about corporate greed." Contacted at his Manhattan condo, a member of the French government-in-exile who abandoned Paris when Hitler invaded said the invasion was based solely on American financial interests. "Everyone knows that President Roosevelt has ties to big beer," said Pierre LeWimp. "Once the German beer industry is conquered, Roosevelt's beer cronies will control the world market and make a fortune."
    Administration supporters said America's aggressive actions were based in part on the assertions of controversial scientist Albert Einstein, who sent a letter to Roosevelt speculating that the Germans were developing a secret weapon, a so-called "atomic bomb." Such a weapon could produce casualties on a scale never seen before and cause environmental damage that could last for thousands of years. Hitler has denied having such a weapon and international inspectors were unable to locate such weapons even after spending two long weekends in Germany. Shortly after the invasion began reports surfaced that German prisoners had been abused by Americans. Mistreatment of Jews by Germans at so-called "concentration camps" has been rumored but so far, remains unproven.
    Several thousand Americans died during the first hours of the invasion and French officials are concerned that uncollected corpses pose a public health risk. "The Americans should have planned for this in advance," they said. "It's their mess and we don't intend to clean it up."
    God bless are D Day troops and troops that are still fighting for us..

Last edited:

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Thanks Lars....interesting post. My dad was at Normandy. He was a Pharmacists Mate and worked on the wounded on an LST. His ship was back a good way from the shore but he said that even there the water was red from all the blood that was spilled. It was an experience that changed him in many ways. I am proud of him and grateful to all that served there. Just a side note...my brother is a Viet Nam vet and I admire him greatly as well.

Top Bottom