• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • renegade464

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Ok, so I had a AR-Pistil built with a 10.5" barrel. Wanting to put a stock on it now, however do not want to pay the 200 buck for the fedral stamp.

I have heard that the 5" flash supressor makes it legal at the prescribed 16".

I have to have it permanently attached, no biggie, is this true? :twocents: welcome.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    The barrel has to be 16" min. So if you have a flash hider that gives you a barrel length of 16" and it is permanently attached you are good to go.

Obviously there will be draw backs to this over a 16" barrel (slower velocity,
    louder, fixed muzzle device make certain changes difficult) You may want to try to trade it or sell it and put the money towards a 16".

I'd SBR it though. I love my 11.5" SBR.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Ok, so I had a AR-Pistil built with a 10.5" barrel. Wanting to put a stock on it now, however do not want to pay the 200 buck for the fedral stamp.

I have heard that the 5" flash supressor makes it legal at the prescribed 16".

I have to have it permanently attached, no biggie, is this true? :twocents: welcome.

Well just to be technical... a 10.5" barrel with a permanent 5" flash hider comes to 15.5" and is short of the required 16" :D

But your on the right track and yes it has been done.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, everybody needs at least one SBR lower... it opens the doors up to so many more possibilities. You can have multiple uppers for one SBR lower. It's $200.

If you still don't want to go that route, do as others mentioned and get a full 16" barrel. By perm attaching a flash suppressor you're probably going to invest about half the cost of a new barrel (or the $200 tax stamp) into a barrel that now has the down-sides of a short barrel (louder, less velocity etc) and it also has the downsides of a long barrel (less maneuverability, heavier). I would just skip that morning coffee for a few weeks and pony up for a new barrel or a tax stamp, either way you'll be much better off.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If it's a decent barrel, in decent shape, you could recoup some of the money for a new barrel by selling the 10.5". I agree that having a 10.5" barrel PLUS a flash hider to bring it to legal is a bad combo. SBR it or replace the barrel.

Top Bottom