• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    As the title says. I am in the market for a 5.56 Upper Assembly with 16" barrel, and would like to keep it under $800. I have looked at some of the Yankee Hill, Spikes Tactical and Palmetto State stuff. There is a shop in Indy called Indy Tactical Supply, have to check it out in person when I go to the 1500 show in August. Not sure on twist rate, I don't expect to shoot anything more than 62gr projectiles. Any comments, or suggestion? I am building a Spikes lower for it in case you are wondering.

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    As the title says. I am in the market for a 5.56 Upper Assembly with 16" barrel, and would like to keep it under $800. I have looked at some of the Yankee Hill, Spikes Tactical and Palmetto State stuff. There is a shop in Indy called Indy Tactical Supply, have to check it out in person when I go to the 1500 show in August. Not sure on twist rate, I don't expect to shoot anything more than 62gr projectiles. Any comments, or suggestion? I am building a Spikes lower for it in case you are wondering.

I would recommend that you buy the barrel you like and the parts and build it yourself. If you wanna do that PM me. I have all the tools including headspace gauges ect. Save yourself some money and also know it is done right.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I am looking for a rail set up and prefer a heavier barrel, but I know I dont want a pencil style. j706...thanks I will definately keep that in mind, it has crossed my mind on doing it myself. I just get a little impatient sometimes.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I am looking for a rail set up and prefer a heavier barrel, but I know I dont want a pencil style. j706...thanks I will definately keep that in mind, it has crossed my mind on doing it myself. I just get a little impatient sometimes.

If you are in Inpls. I am close by. A proper upper build takes about one hour. You get more gun for your money because you are not paying someone for the labor.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    Any complete small parts kits you guys can recommend for building an upper? I'd be interested in slowly acquiring good parts and building it with a little help at some point, assuming its somewhat cheaper.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Any complete small parts kits you guys can recommend for building an upper? I'd be interested in slowly acquiring good parts and building it with a little help at some point, assuming its somewhat cheaper.

Outside of the bolt carrier group, there really aren't many small parts to an upper. Receiver, barrel, gas tube, gas block and handguards are about it.

There is really no point in piecing together a bolt carrier group as they are most always sold complete and require really no skill/labor to assemble. It is most always going to be cheaper to buy one complete. You basically completely disassemble/reassemble the whole thing every time you clean it. (except completely tearing down the bolt )

Best,

Joe

Solidgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Buy one complete if you don't build these often enough to get the tools. Tools aren't all that expensive, but what is the point of buying all those when you just buy a complete one at really not that much price difference.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I would recommend that you buy the barrel you like and the parts and build it yourself. If you wanna do that PM me. I have all the tools including headspace gauges ect. Save yourself some money and also know it is done right.

Thank you, I just may do that. Think I will compile a list of all the parts and see where I am at.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Thank you, I just may do that. Think I will compile a list of all the parts and see where I am at.

NP will be glad to help you out with it if you want to go that route. I have always enjoyed stuff that I built better than something I purchased ready to go for some reason.

Top Bottom