• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    I see a lot of bulk 5.45x39 surplus ammo for very cheap and I've been looking for an affordable small caliber rifle to shoot with and this seems most economical. Does anyone have any recommendations on quality affordable guns in this caliber? A good AK74 type is what I'm seeing most but I'm new to this so I thought I'd ask.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    The surplus ammo may still be cheap but the mags are starting to sky rocket and becoming harder to find. As far as rifles go, buying a Saiga 5.45 sporter and converting it yourself is the cheapest way to get into a quality rifle. Saiga .223 AK Conversion - 1 Many "how to" videos and sites out there to help walk you through it. I'd stay away from the Polish Tantals because there is a chance you get a bad one that keyholes. Century are ok but most have canted front sights. I highly recommend going the Saiga conversion route. WASR-2 is another budget ak that I wouldnt be afraid of buying. There is a Waffen Werks in the classifies right now that I would jump on if I didnt just get a Saiga to convert.

Last edited:

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    The conversions doesn't look that difficult but I would be concerned that I'd make a mistake. I'm seeing the Saiga 5.45 models for around 350$. That seems to be a pretty good price to me and I think it might just be the best way to go.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Perhaps a 5.45 AR...
    2011OctShoot_AR545_01.jpg

2011OctShoot_AR545_03.jpg

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    That's quite a bit more than I'd like to spend (700$ for the upper + don't have an AR). I'm a college student so I'm all about affordability

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would avoid a 5.45 AR. To many mag issues out there, and for the cost of an upper you can buy a decent AK.

but if you can get around the mag issues, the mags are a lot cheaper and easy to get!

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    yeh I'm liking the saiga. Good compromise between cost and quality and I can always do the conversion down the line if I so choose. Plus it seems that they use most AK mags with no modifications so it broadens my choices. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    yeh I'm liking the saiga. Good compromise between cost and quality and I can always do the conversion down the line if I so choose. Plus it seems that they use most AK mags with no modifications so it broadens my choices. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mostly correct. To use a standard AK74 mag, you need to install a bullet guide. And trust me, if you buy one you will need to convert it. The neutered, bastardized way these rifles are imported is pathetic in comparison to a standard Kalishnokov patterned rifled.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    Like I said I'm open to all suggestions. I know the surplus isn't crazy clean but as far as I've read it's not a problem if you clean it regularly. Plus at 15 cents per rifle round thats just hard to beat.

And I wasn't aware that there was such a huge difference in the performance of the "sporterized" vs "classic" models. Good to know.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    And I wasn't aware that there was such a huge difference in the performance of the "sporterized" vs "classic" models. Good to know.

No difference in performance if you convert it. A bullet guide is simple to install. I am currently converting my Saiga 5.45. This is my first conversion and it only took me less than an hour to strip it down. Mind you Im not doing the front end conversion, just moving the trigger forward. Hopefully the rest of the parts come in the mail Monday and I will have it done in no time.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I'm looking for a starter AK74 too. Does 21st Century from Bluffton ever list any of the AK's they were selling months ago?

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Yes 5.45x39 is very inexpensive to shoot, it can be under .10 cents per round to shoot. But you need to buy in bulk to get it that low.
    5.45x39 Ammunition
    The Saiga in 5.45 would be a good choice but the AR in that caliber wound be a better choice.IMHO
    You can buy a complete upper here for $410
    http://www.usarmorycorps.com/index....product_id=92&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
    A bolt carrier group here for $99
    5.45 X 39 COMPLETE BOLT CARRIER GROUP
    And a light weight complete polymer lower here for $99.99
    LW-15 Complete Polymer Lower [LW-15 Complete (Standard)] - $99.99 : New Frontier Armory - Firearm Sales, Transfers, and Consignment
    That will make a complete AR for around $600+
    But if you want a low cost plinker find an AK74 kit & a build party in your area like 40calPUNISHER stated.
    You can build a better AK74 than you can buy right now.:yesway:

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    If by regular cleaning you mean after every range session shooting corrosive surplus ammo, then you would be good to go.

I have a Waffen Werks Bulgarian 74 and stocked up on Russian surplus from AIM Surplus. I squirt it down with window cleaner followed by a good cleaning with Break Free after shooting the corrosive stuff. Also, if you end up with the typical 74 muzzle break, make sure you remove it and clean the inside of it and the threaded end of the barrel.

At the time I picked up this gun (about 1 year ago), magazines weren't too bad, except for the Bakelite's, which I went a little crazy on (6 30 rounders and 2 45 rounders).

Sling

Top Bottom