• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah but with the outcry from the zoo shooting the gorilla and all of the media attention, I think a regular person would be up to their neck in poo. There would be statements made about how the zoo itself has contingency plans to handle such a situation, that the gorilla could have been possibly spared instead of being shot ( like some claim now), and not to mention the person carrying would be doing so illegally ( unless they were on-duty law enforcement). I understand the feeling of wanting to protect the child but there are situations where trying to be a good guy makes you a bad guy.

Agreed.
    The outcry for the silverback over the child is somewhat disconcerting to me.
    It is just another example of how off course the ship is.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yeah, we discussed the probability of our issued .40 ammo being effective against the gorilla, or any other wild animal larger than a dog for that matter. Even if you can't kill it, perhaps a shot to the face/head would change its channel enough to get it to leave the kid alone. Hard to say what I would do in that situation without actually being there, but I would have a hard time just watching.
    It would be hard to watch of course but even if I was carrying my G22 off-duty (which I never do), I cannot say that I know enough about great apes to know if I would be helping or hurting the little boy by taking action. I could just wound the beast, **** it off, and it pummels the kids to death as a result, a likely outcome. I couldn't live with myself after that and I'll be up to my neck in litigation. The zoo uses big game calibers for a reason. Handguns are not great at stopping humans, I would guess they are **** poor at stopping a gorilla. The vast majority carry off-duty guns which have a shortened sight radius, limited capacity, and/or smaller caliber, so interveining would likely be out of the question.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Coming from an agricultural background I can say that a well placed 22lr can drop a steer or hog in it's tracks, I don't know anything about gorillas but wouldn't imagine the skull is any thicker than a steer's. Bad incident all round, but the zoo staff did the right thing as in my experience you can't predict the behavior of animals for certain, even ones that you are familiar with. People should watch their kids better.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Coming from an agricultural background I can say that a well placed 22lr can drop a steer or hog in it's tracks, I don't know anything about gorillas but wouldn't imagine the skull is any thicker than a steer's.

Well, you got me curious.

slide_34.jpg

I don't know that it's any thicker, but it's got a lot more angles and a protective brow ridge. Even if you were confident enough to take a head shot at a moving creature from whatever distance involved under the stress of the situation, it appears to me it would need to be from the side or top. Through the face looks like a real ask of any duty round to get to the brain.

I also don't know if the injury or death of one gorilla would make the others in the enclosure go...bananas...and increase the danger or require even more of them to be put down to affect any sort of rescue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good point and research. Farm animal shots were at fairly stationary targets and under no stress, just a prelude butchering an animal that was troublesome, aim frontal and just above the eyes with a Nylon 66. The crest and brow ridges look like they would be trouble for a 22lr, looks like the best shot would be from the side.

Was pulled over by a CO back in the 70s driving around the back roads with my 66 in the truck, he called that rifle the "poachers friend". Said more game animals were taken illegally with 22lr than any other cartridge.

Would rep you again for the "bananas" comment, still laughing from the first one.:)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The Zoo's website states that no firearms are allowed on the property, not sure if they have signs posted. I would say you would be up **** creek even if you had the kid's best interest at heart.

I was just there in April and was armed. I don't advertise. And like CM said, sometimes you just have to get a little poo on your hands.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    When I worked at the Indianapolis Zoo I was on good terms with one of the guys trained on the Zoo's weapons. I was not allowed to see them, and the arms were not names or calibers with which I was familiar. From my conversations with him I was under the impression that the Zoo had an action plan and adequate equipment to immediately terminate any animal in the collection, which (at the time) included horses and camels, lions and tigers, polar and kodiak bears, and elephants.

Like I said, I never got to see the guns, but I always wondered what they would use.

The Indianapolis Zoo is not directly municipally funded, it is a private Zoological Society, so the budget is always a struggle. When I was there we always had good equipment, but it wasn't always the flashiest or newest stuff. I imagine the same would be true for the armory.

I was at the range one time when the Indy zoo people were there practicing with the rifles. I don't remember the specific calibers, but they were very impressive.

Top Bottom