• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I'm debating between the two and was wondering if anybody had any experience with both or at least had some good reasons to go either way. I just picked up a RRA lower with the intention of putting one of the two up top. I'm leaning towards the .458 because it's still semi-auto in opposed to single shot. Any thoughts?

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Id go with a .458 personally just because you could dear hunt with it (at least I think ya can). That said .50 has some serious BA points and would be a very close runner up.

I do believe someone makes a mag fed bolt action 50cal AR, I saw one at a gunshow once but im not sure who the manufacture was.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    458 Socom.

Legal for deer hunting in Indiana.

Legal for self defense shooting bad guys in Indiana.

Semi-Auto operation, reliable feeding, factory loads for all sorts of game and self defense uses.

Best of all worlds.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    alexander arms makes a .50 beawulf that is mag fed semi auto upper in .50

Yes, but the 50 Beowulf is not legal for deer hunting in Indiana. If any round is going to catch on here in Indiana and become more readily available at stores, it will be the round that serves more than just a niche market. The 458 Socom is great for deer hunting but also great for the tactical folks who want a big bore stopper. The 50 Beowulf only fills one of those roles, it is great for what it does, but no matter how you add it up, is still illegal for deer hunting in this state so its acceptance and commonality here will probably be minimal. :twocents:

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    depends on the use. if your not going to use either for hunting i would go with the .50 bmg upper.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Looking at the Beowulf, the mag goes in just like a normal mag. Are they special .50 cal rounds? cuz the .50 cal rounds I am used to are far to long to fit in the mag well.

Edit: looked at the site closer. I think I would rather have a .458 socom round than the .50 cal Beowulf. What the one with the mag coming out the left side that someone mentioned?

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I would get the 458 because it is a IN legal deer hunting round (50 Beowulf is not currently).

The 50 Beowulf is by no means a 50 BMG round. They are both of the 50 caliber projectile but that's about the only thing similar with them. The 50 Beowulf will feed out of a standard AR mag just like the 458 Socom will and they both will feed into a standard AR mag well.

The upper being discussed with the mag coming out the side is a 50 BMG bolt action upper that fits onto a standard AR-15 lower. It feeds from the magazine that comes out of the upper receiver.

Good luck.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom