• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I'm thinking about buying a 458 upper for hunting this year and was wondering what kind of range these guns are effective at. Any body got one what do you think. I don't use a shoot gun and haven't for about 8 years. I usually use my T/C Omega in gun season and have killed deer out to 200 yards. I would like to hunt with something else for a change and I've been looking at 44mag rifles but I think the 458 would be a lot more effective and have more range. Anybody who has tried one let me know what you think.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I got one last fall too late for deer season but I've been practicing with it. 200 yards would be about the limit for most rounds. Downrange energy is not the issue, but the bullet drop starts to become pretty severe at that range, even with the lighter bullets. I chose a 405 grain projectile which runs around 1600fps. Lighter bullets might be able to push you out a little further than 200 yards, but the fastest loads I've seen are in the 1900-2000fps range and the round has a very bad BC and goes subsonic very quickly.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    When hunting with the AR type rifle, do you have to use a 5 rounds magazine? I meant no more than 5 rounds in a magazine?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    458325g.jpg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Forget whitetail... with the right bullet the .458 would be a good bison cartridge. :D (similar to .45-70 "modern rifle" loads).

hmmmm.... I wonder what a ".358 SOCOM" would do... with a 200gr FTX... (patent pending)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Bryan, I've never compared the two different brasses, but are you saying the SOCOM brass is not able to take the same pressures as the WSSM brass? If not then why not? Is the weak point the area near the rebated rim?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Would .284 Win brass work? Then you could get back up to 50-55kpsi or so? And it would use a .308 Win bolt face. Hmmm...

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Bryan, I've never compared the two different brasses, but are you saying the SOCOM brass is not able to take the same pressures as the WSSM brass? If not then why not? Is the weak point the area near the rebated rim?

Starline doesn't make any "rifle pressure" capable brass - its all low pressure pistol/blackpowder/antique/niche, etc.

If you look at the SAAMI/CIP pressure limits of the cartridges they make, I'm not aware of any that cross into the 40k range, most if not all top out in the high to mid 30's.

In a bolt gun, the SOCOM brass typically takes loads 10-15% warmer than what will run in an AR (without destroying the case headsextractor/ejector marks). At much more than that in a bolt rifle - the primer pockets get loose in a hurry.

I have yet to see any actual pressure testing done on the SOCOM cartridge, so its all kind of a swag.

The WSSM brass is good into the 62k+ range based on the 22/243 and 25 WSSM factory loads. Running it as a .358, it would be unlikely to break 55K with sensible loads.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Bryan, that explains it. While I reload, I don't do anything close to the wildcatting and experimenting that you do with loads so I never really bother to compare the pressure limits of brass from one type to the next, or one manufacturer to another.

BTW, we are having another Cigar Night on April 1 at the Pine Island store, featuring RyJ Habana Reserves. 5pm to 9pm. We also scheduled one for the Cedar Lake store on April 22 featuring Siglo cigars. Hope to see you at one or the other event, maybe even both. You missed the rum last time, it showed up about 10 minutes after you left.

Top Bottom