• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I am getting ready to work up a load for my fullsize kimber and have a couple questions regarding where to start. I have loaded revolver (45 long colt), but really didn't worry about overall length and found a couple good loads. Just not sure where to start with the load for the auto.

Is there a way to measure what an optimum overall length would be?

Do I start with some variations of overall length keeping the powder constant?

or

Do I start with a constant overall length and vary powder?

I plan on evaluating both parameters, just not sure where to start. Any input on 45 auto loading would be appreciated.

BTW...I will be using RCBS carbide dies with a Lee Factory crimp die.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Start with the standard OAL and vary the powder. I rarely ever change the OAL from what my reloading manuals or manufacturer info states.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    It depends

What bullet type are you planning to use? If you are looking for some type of competition load and plan on using semi-wad cutters you may need to play with the OAL. Sometimes a gun will be finicky about this and if you want it to feed everytime you may have to vary the length until you find what it is happy with.

bulldog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Crawfordsville,In
    I agree mospeada,, utilize the reloading manual data and as usual start at the low end of the powder spectrum and work your way up.Kimbers are quality firearms and require 400 to 500 rounds to be fired thru for their break in .This should provide ample oppurtinity to find a load both you and the gun like.Good luck!

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    thanks for the input...I had read somewhere that overall length could affect accuracy within certain handguns. Sounds like it probably wont matter. I'll load to what the manual recommends and wont mess with it unless i have functioning issues.

I am really just looking for practice/self defense rounds. I won't be competing at all right now. Maybe later if i get the bug and decide I want to shoot more.

Thanks again for everyone's input....I think I will try to get some loads worked up tonight.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    OAL with the .45 ACP isn't critical in getting optimum accuracy. The most important factor is the bullet. You do need to make sure that the round will feed through your magazines and will function in the gun.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    In my Kimber I am shooting 185gn hollow points loaded with 6.0 grains of Unique. They are super accurate with soft recoil. No snap just a soft push. These are not hot loads, kinda mid-range. I do not have a chronograph but my guess would be 800 to 850 fps.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I use two main powders for .45 I use Power Pistol for full power loads and titegroup for lite target loads.
    OAL doesn't make much differance as stated above. just be sure to spend time setting your taper crimp die up properly.

Slightly differant crimp for lead as for FMJ
    Full size kimber would probably like my 6.8 grs Power pistol behind a 230 fmj or JHP

Before you load a bunch pull the barrell out of your gun and make sure you can drop the bullet in the chamber and it doesn't stick. even tap on it a bit trying to make it stick.
    If it doesn't stick and falls right back out your OAL is to long at least. Probably going to fall somewhere between 1.200 and 1.260 depending on the bullet (230gr)

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The primary reason to adjust OAL is on feeding reliability. This does affect pressure. All things equal, one load with a shorter OAL will run at a higher pressure than the same at a longer OAL. Pressure affects velocity.

Now, relatively speaking, 45 ACP is a low(er) pressure round. Some powders it won't make a difference you will notice, some it will. This same issue with 40 S&W is a completely different animal, and one with big, sharp, nasty, pointy teeth (cue the Pythons).

Be careful with your crimp. 45 ACP, like most auto rounds, headspaces on the casemouth. Too much is a bad thing.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    These are not hot loads, kinda mid-range. I do not have a chronograph but my guess would be 800 to 850 fps.

Based on what? How do you know when you have something on the edge of the envelope?

Buy a Chrony. It's $99. Your pistol is worth that, let alone your hand, eyesight, life...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For the .45 ACP cartridge, I taper crimp to .470" measured at the case mouth. This works well for lead and jacketed bullets (without a cantelure). It works well for hot loads and mild loads. I've experimented with very tight crimps and the only thing that happens is that accuracy falls off. You can taper crimp as tight as .468" without any problem.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    The primary reason to adjust OAL is on feeding reliability.

This.

Most of my reloading manuals give a min and max oal which still leaves you to decide where in that range you want to be. One good place to start is to match the oal of a factory load that you know feeds well in your gun.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Based on what? How do you know when you have something on the edge of the envelope?

Buy a Chrony. It's $99. Your pistol is worth that, let alone your hand, eyesight, life...

Its based on the load data from the powder and bullet manufacturer. An educated guess really. I am loading 2 grains below the listed max charge. Max charge was listed as 1015fps. I have just recently gotten back into reloading and only have the basic equipment,(I sold all my reloading equipment because of a move about 6 years ago.) I pick up more of what I need here and there as I can afford it. However, I am not new to reloading, as a matter of fact I have 30+ years of experience reloading. I started hand loading with my father when I was 12 years old, and have done it on and off my whole life. I have at different times over the years loaded most popular handgun, rifle and shotgun cartridges in the thousands.

To answer your question as to how do I know when I am pushing the envelope? Well to put it bluntly, in my aged caution I try to stay far from it, I always load my range ammo light. Its easier on the gun and its easier on my wrist, and in my experience I have found that softer loads tend to shoot more accurately especially in 45acp.(The only caliber I am currently loading.) If I want high pressure +P/personal defense ammo, I buy factory loads.

I did once years ago in my IPSC days when I was young and a little bit reckless work up many, many different recipes trying to reach major power factor in a 9mm, I back then had a chronograph and my own private range in the back yard. Over 3 years and 40000 rounds of 9mm loaded and shot the closest I ever got was 1050fps with 147 grain Hornady XTPHP over 6.0 grains of Blue Dot, for a power factor of 154 to 155 just short of the 160 I needed. This was where the round started to show signs of stress, so I never went any further and finally accepted that major power factor could not be safely reached in that caliber for IPSC. However over those same 3 years I managed to work up a few interesting rounds. A 90 grain hollow point (actually intended for .380) over 8.5 grains of Blue Dot will give you close to 1600fps out of a 5" barrel. This round will blow up a plastic milk jug of water most impressively without penetrating the whole way threw leaving a dime sized lead disk inside the smashed jug. I also worked up an explosive tipped round where I would seat a small rifle primer into a 115gn hollow point, I tested these extensively shooting them into many different mediums like wood, clay, soap, water and a ballistics type gelatin, they proved to be quite effective showing exaggerated expansion with adequate penetration in all test mediums...

Top Bottom