• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • typhoon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    i was wondering if anyone has killed a deer with either of these rounds?? a hornady leveRevolution or a lead on brass round? i heard that the lead on brass does more damage than the red tip hornady. was WANTING a second opion. thnks

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What is a "lead on brass" round?

I've killed a few with a standard 240 grain jacketed hollow point and like anything else, you have to hit the kill zone. Get that job done and they drop like a sack of taters.

typhoon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    44mag

thanks.. its a soft lead flat nose on a brass bullet.. from what iam told it makes a bigger hole on impact! ???? new to hunting with the handgun rounds. only have killed deer with 12ga before

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    thanks.. its a soft lead flat nose on a brass bullet.. from what iam told it makes a bigger hole on impact! ???? new to hunting with the handgun rounds. only have killed deer with 12ga before

Thats a standard semi-jacketed 44 mag round. It's not a brass bullet and no such thing exist as far as I know. It's flat on the front so they can be loaded in to a tubular magazine and not fire the one in front of it on recoil. The jacket is copper and the case is the only thing that is brass.

Who ever is telling you this "brass bullet" crap is a know nothing poser.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I use Nosler 240 Gr. JHP in both my Lever Action and Revolver. I have killed many deer with the revolver. Its' all I ever used. This year however I used the Lever Action for the first time due to noise level of the handgun and I already had a headache. It worked equally well. I use the same bullets in the muzzle loader also. Hornady XTP work just as well. I find the 250 round bulk packs to be cheaper if you can find them.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Who ever is telling you this "brass bullet" crap is a know nothing poser.

Ask and you shall receive :popcorn: ... however very rare indeed :D

match2_20nv.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    LEVERevolution took my doe with NO problem.

Hard to say which makes the bigger hole. Guess would be the hollow point, but the Hornady rounds are designed to mushroom on impact as well.

Randy Divine

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    So. IN
    typhoon,

I use the Speer Gold Dot with the Spire Point. It's a flat nose semi-jacketed round. It takes a deer with no problem. I use it because I hunt with a '92 Winchester.

RD

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Maybe the OP is thinking of Semi-wad cutters? A flat nosed lead bullet loaded into a brass shell/case...I've heard some people clainm that they work well.

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    Hornady xtp's work great, I haven't tried the leverevoultion but my buddy hates them. I think he was just a bad shot. He lost 3 deer this year trailed but never found them.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I have some of the Hornady LeverRevolution in .44 Magnum for my Rossi M92 Puma, but I went out this year with Cor-Bon DPX 225gr Barnes Expanders. It amazes me how these solid copper bullets can penetrate so deeply and expand so wide. Just think... You don't even have to chew the meat. :D

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    i took a spike buck the opening weekend of firearm with the 44 mag leverevolution. the shot placement wasn't so hot. i ended up shooting it a little far back and got the gut. it still bled out in a matter of seconds though. ran about 50 yards and dropped. blood trail was big enough to follow too.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I used Winchester 240gr JSP. I got 3 deer with 3 shots. The farthest a deer went after being hit was about 50 yards. The shot was through the lungs, went trough and through and the blood trail was incredible. On one deer the shot was quartering away and the bullet went through the shoulder on the other side. So, for hitting heavy bone, the JSP definitely gets the job done. I havn't hunted with HP's but have been told they put the hammer down as well. I won't go back to a slug gun now that I've hunted with a 44 carbine!

Top Bottom