• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunt4fun

Retired
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    I would NOT recommend the Winchester 240 JSP's for deer in a pistol. One of my shooting buddies shot a doe from 25 yards with his scoped Encore - witnessed the bullet enter it's left lung area, - saw the cloud of dust from the exit wound where the bullet hit the ground - and the deer ran off. The bullet was recovered from the dirt with no signs of expansion whatsoever. They spent the rest of the remaining daylight looking for the deer and saw no signs of it whatsoever.

He's since moved to a 180gr XTP handload with H110. I load 240gr XTP's under 2400 or 5744 at around 1800fps in my Rossi break action. I once heard a second hand quote from a Ruger Rep that the RedHawk can handle absolutely anything you can throw at it - so don't be afraid of stout loads using heavy bullets - just work your way up to them.

I would certainly agree with your comment regard the strength of the Super Redhawk. I was in a similar situation to the thread starter, so I called Hodgon Powder since I was planning to use H110. The conversation went something like this.

Me: "I am looking to work up a deer hunting load in my 44 magnum. What would you suggest as a good starting load."

Hodgon rep: "Anywhere from 23 to 25 grains with a 240 grain bullet should be just fine."

Me: "OK, thanks. I'll start there."

Hodgon rep: "What gun are planning to use these load in?"

Me: "A 7 1/2 inch Ruger Super Redhawk."

Hodgon rep: "Hell, don't even measure it. Just scoop up as much as you can get in the case and stuff a bullet in it." :):

As a cautious reloader I didn't take him literally, but you get the point. Essentially, you have a 44 magnum tank in your hand. For me, the sweet spot was 25 grains of H110, but I did fire some 26 and 26.5 grain loads. With the 7 1/2 inch barrel it just threw more flame.

Hunt4Fun

Top Bottom