• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah, blah blah blah, my search-fu is weak, and so on.

I got a 9.5 inch Ruger Super Redhawk for target ripping and venison getting.

I got the rules down, limit myself to however far out I can keep within an 8 inch circle/paper plate. Every deer I've gotten to date has been within 60 yards so it's unlikely I'll be going out beyond that often(I'll have my Rem 870 too). I can barely see anything beyond 100 yds in S. IL woods anyway(and I don't shoot at sounds) :ar15::faint:
    I'd rather not fill my tag than screw up a shot that lets a deer get away wounded to die slow and scared somewhere, I'm weird like that. :rolleyes:

Anyway recommendations? For the range I got some Fiocchi 240 Gr. XTP-HP(nickel cases, assuming this is more for SD use:draw:) and Magtech 240 gr. Semi-jacketed softpoint. Obviously like any gun it'll probably like some brands more than others.

I don't reload but that may change soon so I won't rule those suggestions out.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My old standby is basic winchester white box JSP 240 grain bullets. I use them like I do CCI mini mags in 22 LR. If it does not shoot them well than there is a problem with the firearm. Good for deer and cheap.

Hornaday has the leverevolution ammo. Does a nice job on deer in rifle or pistol. The use a majic pixi dust as powder in them.

Gold dot get a heads up.

I really think for the price the winchester white box is the winner. Deer don't know you kiiled them with 32.99 a box MEGA_LOW_MART ammo.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I use 180gr. and 240 gr. PMC Hollow points. Very accurate! I shoot a Taurus 44mag 8in. barrel. I have never had a deer take more than 1 more step after impact.
    I killed my biggest deer ever, my first year out with it. A huge ten pointer. He jumped out of the brush following a doe and I shot and he took one more jump and collapsed. I never tried anything else. Never saw the need. Although if you eat the heart there was nothing left.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I have 300gr XTP's with max powder load reloaded for me. I've always had good accuracy results with the XTP, 240 and 300gr.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    If you own a 44 mag you need to reload, its the only way to get the true potential from the cartridge. Factory loads are lighter than what you can handload. A good 44 mag revolver like your Redhawk will handle alot more power than factory loads produce.
    For deer I use a 200gr Hornady XTP with a good load of H110 behind it. Using this lighter bullet I can load it faster, around 1500 fps, and the results on deer are devasting. Shooting a 7.5 inch Blackhawk I have shot 4 deer with this load. I watched all 4 hit the ground, all 1 shot kills.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I second that a good handload with H110 is the way to go

I have used exclusively my reloads in my Dan Wesson 44 mag that I bought 28 years ago. My load is 220 gr. Sierra Silhouette bullet with 25.0 grains of H110. This load has been very accurate in my revolver and I am not interested in any other.

I recommend that you get into reloading if you can, it is satisfying to make your handloads out perform factory ammunition.

Best regards,

Terry

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I would NOT recommend the Winchester 240 JSP's for deer in a pistol. One of my shooting buddies shot a doe from 25 yards with his scoped Encore - witnessed the bullet enter it's left lung area, - saw the cloud of dust from the exit wound where the bullet hit the ground - and the deer ran off. The bullet was recovered from the dirt with no signs of expansion whatsoever. They spent the rest of the remaining daylight looking for the deer and saw no signs of it whatsoever.

He's since moved to a 180gr XTP handload with H110. I load 240gr XTP's under 2400 or 5744 at around 1800fps in my Rossi break action. I once heard a second hand quote from a Ruger Rep that the RedHawk can handle absolutely anything you can throw at it - so don't be afraid of stout loads using heavy bullets - just work your way up to them.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business

Try this in 44m +P deer won't run....If you do your part.

Amen.... I use BBA in 45LC on hogs in Texas. 300gr JSP hauling arse faster than over-the-counter 44 mag stuff. I can only do this because I shoot it in a Blackhawk. Its tough to hold onto, but it's worth it when you're dealing with a hog that's pissed off. To give you an example of BBA's loads... if you mix brands in your revolver as I have... you'll see the bullets slide forward on "other" brands of ammo as it's not crimped enough to deal with the BBA recoil. I've since stopped that practice of mixing rounds. Moral of the story... good stuff for killin' animals and dropping them in their tracks!

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I used American Eagle 240gr factory loads last year. Killed 2 doe, both one shot each, however they did not drop in their tracks. Either one ran about 25-30 yards befor falling. The only issue I had is that I did not even know I had hit one of them, it didn't stumble or anything, just ran off. I found her as I was leaving for the day, She just happened to run back over my left shoulder and I couldn't see her around the edge of the wood line. If the WWB are the same or better, I would probably be okay with them. I am hoping to find something this season that will take one off of its feet, so I don't have a similar situation arise. I don't know about hunting performance, but for accuracy, I was Impressed with Magtech for thier comparitive price!

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    i have 3 loads that i reload ...this is my favorite 23gr of lil gun with a hornady ftx 225gr bullet , winchester primer . 2nd is 23.5 gr of h110 with a hornady 225gr ftx bullet, winchester primer 3rd is 22 gr of h110 with a 240gr hornady xtp bullet winchester primer .....but my favorite shelf ammo is magtech 240gr sjsp they shoot very well ....hope this was a help to you

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    20.5 grains 2400 behind a 240 xtp hornady. son dropped 3 deer last year with his ruger. farthest was 80 yards. if you dont handload find a factory load with the xtp. so far we have shot 8 deer between us with the xtp(6 handgun 2 muzzleloader) and none have ran far before dropping. accuracy is also outstanding
    037.jpg

Moses

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Farmersburg, In.
    i have a 629 classic 8.375. hornady 200 gr. xtp- cci 300 lp primer- 18.9 grains of vihtavuori n-105. recoil is relatively light, very accurate. vihtavuori powder is hard to beat.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I have only used reloads.
    240Gr. JHP, Nosler or Hornady XTP & H110 powder.
    Very effective at 100 yds. I have taken deer at 125 yards with my 6" Dan Wesson.

You can't go wrong with a Leupold. I have just started trying to upgrade my scopes to Leupold.
    My Dan Wesson still has a Tasco on it.

Top Bottom