.44 Lever Action: Marlin 1894, Henry Big Boy Steel, Other?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Decided I need a .44 Lever Action, why?, because!

Used search which is how I found out about Henry Big Boy Steel.

Uses: Range, Toy, etc.

Looking for owner review & INGO opinion on any similars, not listed. Also kicking around going with 45-70 instead, welcome any thoughts, musings, etc., on that as well.

And, GO!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    1894 is an awesome firearm, IF it has a JM stamp.
    If it's stamped REM, I don't want it.
    I guess they've gotten better of late, but the early REM's had some pretty substantial issues.

You can not go wrong with a Henry.
    I've got a couple of raffle tickets for a Henry Big Boy Steel right now.
    Some of the slickest actions I've ever shot, right out of the box.

I'm eyeing the .45-70govt as well...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've got an older Marlin 44 magnum that's I've hunted with a long time. No complaints other than the old micro groove rifeling making it hard to shoot cast. Have a Henry in bronze that I hunt with as well, trade off between the two is an easier scope mount and the use of the WW trigger on the Marlin against the Ballard style rifeling in the Henry. The Henry is also heavier which can be good or bad depending on your preference.

Stepping up to 45-70 is another game entirely. Can't speak for the Henry but the Marlin's will handle loads that you won't be comfortable shooting many of without any issues. That also goes for the 444.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I've owned both-JM stamped Marlin and the Henry. Marlin is hard to shoot with cast bullets and loading is a pain. The Henry is just smooth as butter. With a Skinner peep sight, it's a great shooter.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not a lever gun, but some folks think it is...........a Ruger #1.
    For 2016 there is a 1S model w 20.5" bbl..............in .44 mag.
    MSRP is $1499.
    Lipseys has 'em (or had LOL). Distributor exclusive.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I have an older Marlin 1894 in .44 and love it. I put XS sights on it and they come up fast and are accurate. I have handled new Henry's and they are smooth and really well made and the newer REM Marlins seem to be much better than the ones of a couple of years ago. I like the way the Marlin loads but don't have a huge bias against the Henry loading method. It really comes down to personal preference. On a side note I also have an older Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45/70 that I like a whole lot.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Older Marlins are the best and will take the best action job that can be done. I love the Henry Company and their American Values!!! I have handled about 6 or 7 different Big Boy Steel models in both 44 and 357, all the actions were pretty rough. Even Henry employees have told me on more than one occasion that there is not a lot that can be done as far as a Henry action job. My wife has a Marlin 1894CB in 357 and we spent 190.00 for a premium action job and one piece firing pin and return shipping. That gun is super slick.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I love my Henry guns. My first was the 44 mag. I loved the looks, the way it felt in my hands. Then I picked up a 45-70. Marlin's are great guns. The JM stamped would be my preferred. If you buy a new one, check it over. When i was looking for my 45-70 I was loooking for a 1895. I handled about 10 of them. Actions felt gritty. the stock to receiver fit looked like it was done with a pocket knife. Two of them had canted front sights. I handled one Henry and walked away with it. Check the gun out before you leave.

My boy and the 44mag.

My irst change was Skinner sights with a Merit aperture. I dearly love this gun.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Way back when Indiana allowed pistol caliber rifles for hunting I went through the debate on the marlin vs the puma/legacy 92 in 44mag. I've owned a marlin 30-30, 45-70 full sizero, and 45-70 guide gun so understand I've got nothing against them, but I decided on the 92 after reading lots of complaints on a marlin forum about the dreaded "marlin jam" that seemed to be exclusively attached to their 44mag rifles.

If you're looking for a fun gun for the range, just forget about the 45-70. It's never going to be as pleasant to shoot as the 44mag rifles. My puma 92 has two 8pt bucks and a 10pt to its credit and it'll be given to my son some day. If I were to buy a new 44mag rifle today especially between the Henry and marlin, I'd buy the Henry without question. All you have to do is work the action on a Henry and you'll know which is the better rifle.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I absolutely love the 45-70! The action is smooth; the trigger is just right; and reloading is just plain fun.

[video]https://youtu.be/kybA81C20lc[/video]

5CEF5029-9E9B-496C-81ED-DF980ABEBB97_zpswmuagtck.jpg

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Just took delivery of a Henry big boy steel carbine. This one is a 357 mag, they also come in 44 and 45, only 34 inches long. I have not had time for much range work but so far I love it and at 50 yds. it seems to be right on.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Had a 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag for a while now. Elmer Keith loads with 240gr. XTP, dead on at 50yds. and again at 100, gives back a healthy recoil. Old eyes and thick vegetation meant putting on a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10 scope to determine buck or doe. Sent the lever down to "The Mule Man" to make it a large loop [big hands and long fingers], Butler Creek lens covers, Galco leather ammo pouch, refinished the would with multi coats of Culver's Magic Paste after relieving the barrel channel a bit in the forearm, "branded" my initials in the butt for a little personal touch. Worked up a full house load for my new Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine in .357 Mag, same scope, not touching the wood, way too nice. Here's the 44, no pics of the .357 yet, but here is the link. https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=54338 BTW, hardly any felt recoil with the .357. Both rifles give clover leaf groups at 50 yds.

Last edited:

spqr

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    I've owned a JM stamped Marlin 44 mag and Rossi 92 357 mag...both presented their challenges! My Marlin had the dreaded "Marlin Jam" the day I received it used from a Gunbroker seller...I replaced the carrier with the new "improved carrier" and it seemed to function properly, however, after reading all the forums, I decided to trade it in since the "Marlin Jam" has a tendency to recur and I never felt that I could trust it! The Rossi tended to require quite forceful manipulation of the lever...if you tried to work it gently, good luck feeding a round! I recently purchased a Ruger 77-357 and hope to achieve pistol caliber rifle Nirvana! BTW, I also have a Henry 22 LR which has never had any issues whatsoever, however, Henrys are slow to load once your magazine tube is exhausted!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My opinion.
    The Henry would be better for a range toy because it is easier to load. You could probably find a tube the correct size to make a "speed loaders" for it.
    The Marlin would be better for a TEOTWAWKI or "Zombie Apocalypse" rifle because you can top off the magazine without taking the gun out of service.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This thread needs more pictures.

Here's my go to 44mag rifle besides a gluten free breakfast bar:

Picture of a 44mag in the wild:

Top Bottom