• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtcrackers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I have not reloaded with a pistol/rifle press except for a Lee hand banging system. I have loaded a lot of shotshells. I am going to reload for the .44-40, and was wondering if a single stage would be better than a progressive press? From what I have read the .44-40 is finicky to reload due to diffuiculty with the necks.

Also, are any of the popular reloading manuals better for info on the .44-40?

Thanks,

Gary

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've reloaded 44-40 for my Brother's Ruger, it's a pain because the neck is easy to collapse.

I use a single stage press to do it.

I seem to have better luck reloading 44-40 with .426" Jacketed Bullets, the extra .001" on the .427" lead bullets seem to be what collapses most of the shoulders.

You can only bell that case so much before you lose it.

The Lyman 48 and 49 have 44-40 info.

I'm using 8gr of Unique under the 200gr Jacketed bullet. It's fairly light load.

Edited to add, it helps to have the cylinder of the gun handy to make sure they will chamber when you are done, you don't want to find out at the range.

Last edited:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Lyman manual of mine has info. I've not reloaded the caliber, but from what friends have said, make sure the case is lubed and I haven't heard of difficulties RE: progressives.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    There was an article not too far back in Handloader magazine, I think, (in the last year or so) about reloading the .44-40. It talked about the great disparity between chambers and reloading dies, essentially creating a lot of the problems that are encountered.

You owe it to yourself to get your hands on a copy of that article. Someone, I think it's Lyman or Hornady, has started making a set of dies based on the findings of the author.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Gary -

The trick to loading 44-40 is going SLOWLY. If you just jam your resizing die, you'll crumple the necks. If you resize gingerly, then you won't have any problem. 44-40 brass, especially around the case mouth is paper thin. Also, get yourself an LE Wilson case gauge to test your sizing and get a good set of dies. I recommend Redding.

Trailboss is a great powder for loading 44-40. I've loaded quite a bit of it in the last few years since Cowboy Action shooting has become so popular . If you're local and want a feel for it, I have everything you'll need and can show you the ropes.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I've never loaded the 44-40, but I researched it a bit when I was contemplating buying one. Like everyone above says, you will muff a high rate resizing compared to other cartridges, and the brass life it not long.

If you plan on loading many, it might be wise to go ahead and buy at least 250 (I'd buy 500) new cases from Starline Brass. Then you would have a good supply from the same lot and it would be cheaper in the long run.

Starline Brass - Maker of America's Finest Handgun Brass

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have reloaded quite a bit of 44/40 in the last few years. My daughter has used one to harvest a doe and a buck in the first 4 years she has hunted. It's not as easy to reload as more modern rounds for the two primary reasons mentioned above: The brass is very thin at the mouth, which makes it prone to crumpling, and it's very important to match the bullet diameter to the action and the bore. This can be quite tricky.

Another CRUCIAL thing to know about 44/40 is that it comes in two distinctly different power ranges! There are lower-pressure rounds for the Model '73, which is also appropriate for older pistols and CAS. However, if you have a stronger action, like the Model '92, you can step up the pressures considerably, giving you a lot more cartridge to work with, if you're hunting.

The awesome thing about learning how to reload for this incredibly cool old cartridge is that you can tailor loads for your gun and the way it will be used. I run a simple load of 10gr Unique under a 200gr XTP for plinking with a Model '92. THIS IS NOT SAFE FOR OLDER GUNS! I also seat the same bullet over a heaping helping of IMR4227 for velocity/pressure approaching 44 Rem Mag. This makes for a 100 yard deer gun, although with open sights, 75 yards is more consistent. My daughter has taken deer at 80 and 40. The longer shot was at an angle which made the bullet travel nearly 30" before breaking the off shoulder and stopping under the skin. The bullet was a perfect ~160 grain mushroom, when we found it. Great performance. The closer shot was broadside and left a 50-cent piece hole, going out.

If you'd like any more specific details on loading the 44/40, let me know. I've learned the hard way and would be glad to help you avoid those hassles.

Jason

Top Bottom