• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not saying .380 is better or as good as 40 or 10mm, but even a .380 can shoot through auto glass or a car door without issue.

[video=youtube_share;FhfKSXWLNxg]http://youtu.be/FhfKSXWLNxg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;79CodjHFwVI]http://youtu.be/79CodjHFwVI[/video]

Thats not saying much. My Red Ryder BB gun can shoot through auto glass. (the side windows anyway):):

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What can you guys get your cost down to out there who reload 10mm?? I am seriously considering buying a Glock 20 but I think I will have to reload to justify shooting it. But I've been wanting to take the leap for some time now anyways...

That depends on you. My plinking round costs about $.18 a round without casting, and about $.06 a round with casting. This is for 180gr plated.

Shooting .40 is about one tenth of a cent less than that per round for a little less powder. Shooting .45 is the same cost as the powder loads are a little lower but the bullet cost is a hair higher.

My nuclear rounds cost a little more, about $.30 a round.

I also only buy in bulk when I find good prices and amortize the brass costs over 25 loadings which is much fewer than I typically get.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Thats not saying much. My Red Ryder BB gun can shoot through auto glass. (the side windows anyway):):
    That's fine. I was just trying to illustrate that choosing 10mm over 40 just in case you have to shoot through a car is kind of a pointless argument. Both rounds will go through a car just fine.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    That depends on you. My plinking round costs about $.18 a round without casting, and about $.06 a round with casting. This is for 180gr plated.

Shooting .40 is about one tenth of a cent less than that per round for a little less powder. Shooting .45 is the same cost as the powder loads are a little lower but the bullet cost is a hair higher.

My nuclear rounds cost a little more, about $.30 a round.

I also only buy in bulk when I find good prices and amortize the brass costs over 25 loadings which is much fewer than I typically get.
    You amortize your brass? Are you an accountant?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    That depends on you. My plinking round costs about $.18 a round without casting, and about $.06 a round with casting. This is for 180gr plated.Shooting .40 is about one tenth of a cent less than that per round for a little less powder. Shooting .45 is the same cost as the powder loads are a little lower but the bullet cost is a hair higher.My nuclear rounds cost a little more, about $.30 a round.I also only buy in bulk when I find good prices and amortize the brass costs over 25 loadings which is much fewer than I typically get.
    Thanks! I am going to start saving and educating myself so I can begin reloading. Already picked my spot in the garage

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The only thing I can comment on, since I have only shot a 10mm once, is the time I shot it, it was a G29 and I really didn't think it was that bad to shoot. I was shooting my BIL's reloaded rounds (and yes he loads them hot) and though you know you shoot a gun it really wasn't to bad, as a matter f fact it made me giggle a little bit as I was shooting it (:D)
    Agreed, wtf. Just meant if someone thinks the G20 is a 'handful', then they'd probably think the G29 was a 'bear'.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My last batch of 10mm ran 20 cents per round with today's cost of components. I could get that down more, but generally buy what is available when I need it and don't sweat the cost much. This is using a 180g Berry's plated bullet over 7.1g of PowerPistol. It's not my favorite load, but it works and brings the cost down to $10 per box of 50 so I can afford to shoot that.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    What can you guys get your cost down to out there who reload 10mm?? I am seriously considering buying a Glock 20 but I think I will have to reload to justify shooting it.

That holds true for most of the Magnum rifle and revolver cartridges as well. I handload for all of my .357, .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, and .500 S&W Magnum shooting. I could in no way afford shooting those calibers to the degree I do if I did not handload. Especially the .500 Magnum, which costs close to, if not over $3.00 a round. If all you shoot is 9 MM and .45 ACP FMJ, you can question the need for handloading. If you shoot Magnum pistol and rifle cartridges in any sizeable quantity, it's all but a requirement. Unless of course you happen to be independently wealthy.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't think the full Norma 10mm loads were hunting rounds. Jeff Cooper sought to create a COMBAT pistol, not a deer-killin' autoloader. Combat implies two legged threats, imo.

A big part of the G20 value proposition is being able to shoot cheaper/lesser ammo. But that's not to say the shooting these other loads is WHY you should get one.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I don't think the full Norma 10mm loads were hunting rounds. Jeff Cooper sought to create a COMBAT pistol, not a deer-killin' autoloader. Combat implies two legged threats, imo.

Actually, a deer and a full sized human are just about as equally difficult to kill. Both have very similar cardiovascular systems.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My last batch of 10mm ran 20 cents per round with today's cost of components. I could get that down more, but generally buy what is available when I need it and don't sweat the cost much. This is using a 180g Berry's plated bullet over 7.1g of PowerPistol. It's not my favorite load, but it works and brings the cost down to $10 per box of 50 so I can afford to shoot that.

Sweet I am looking into reloading now! I think I will be happy to have finally "bitten the bullet"!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Depends on your purpose. If it's just home / personal defense, the .40 is more than capable for that purpose. If you're going to add hunting or personal defense against wild game to that purpose, then go with the 10mm...you can always pick up a .40 conversion barrel for it and shoot .40 for cheaper target practice!

Top Bottom