• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arctic427

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Indy
    I have loaded and shot 10 mm since it came out I carry it daily and have killed a lot of deer with it will do anything you want it to and more but yes u have to practice with it it's like anything else you get out of it what you put in and 40 it a technical fix to a training problem

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I just bought a glock 20. Shot it for the first time this weekend. 100 rounds without issue. I was hitting static clay pigeons at 70 yards using the stock sites. I was quite impressed.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Okay, NOW I want a 10mm again! :tantrum: Thanks a lot, dam'yer hides!

For practicality, IMO the .40 is the better choice. Generally speaking, while I WANT (now, real bad... AGAIN!) a 10mm, at the ballistics for which the 10mm was created, it's a hunting round. I carry a .44 mag for SD on this day or that. Same basic idea, more or less 'overkill' for SD work, or at least that's the 'common consensus', even here on INGO, I think.

I don't quite understand the 'carry a 10mm then just buy (or load) 'weaker loads' concept. If one is going to do that, what's the point of buying the more powerful 10mm to begin with?

Having the versatility the 10mm apparently offers is a definite appeal, but ONLY if one is actually going to spend the money to utilize those options. But, I'm pretty sure not EVERY 10mm has that capability, just (or primarily) the Glock. So, if you're not a Glock fan, it's irrelevant.

As for the Glocks (the only one anyone's mentioned in 10mm, so we'll stick with that), the G29 is gonna be a real 'bear' if the G20 is a 'handful', so that limits it to a full size pistol, whichever G20 ya pick.

There's certainly more handgun variety in the .40, because it's popular. So if you're looking for a compact or sub-compact, definitely the .40 cal.

Ammo appears to be cheaper, based on previous poster comments. Cheaper means more shooting and/or more often for most of us. :thumbsup: For me, even during all the 'firearms fire sale' silliness, I just never had a problem finding .40 S&W ammo, either target / practice stuff or for SD. Maybe we're just luckier up in NWI? :dunno: If that's true, it sure ain't 'cause we're 'closer to Chicago'! :laugh:

I agree with Leo. Get whichever one you can hit the 'X' ring with 99.99999% of the time. In .40, I like the G23, as that size fits me 'best' for an EDC.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Like I had said earlier, 10mm makes a lot of sense if you reload. If you don't reload, it can get expensive unless you buy online. Underwood sells good ammo cheap enough to let you practice with what you carry but it's still not as cheap as off the shelf target ammo for a 9mm or .40. If talking Glock, there are a lot of options and benefits to the G20 or G29 but if we are talking about a Colt Delta Elite, not so much. You will have to run some downrated ammo in the Colt due to case support (as well documented by Shibumiseeker). Underwood sells ammo that's down loaded a bit for the Colt, but I rarely see it in stock.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Okay, NOW I want a 10mm again! :tantrum: Thanks a lot, dam'yer hides!

For practicality, IMO the .40 is the better choice. Generally speaking, while I WANT (now, real bad... AGAIN!) a 10mm, at the ballistics for which the 10mm was created, it's a hunting round. I carry a .44 mag for SD on this day or that. Same basic idea, more or less 'overkill' for SD work, or at least that's the 'common consensus', even here on INGO, I think.

I don't quite understand the 'carry a 10mm then just buy (or load) 'weaker loads' concept. If one is going to do that, what's the point of buying the more powerful 10mm to begin with?

Having the versatility the 10mm apparently offers is a definite appeal, but ONLY if one is actually going to spend the money to utilize those options. But, I'm pretty sure not EVERY 10mm has that capability, just (or primarily) the Glock. So, if you're not a Glock fan, it's irrelevant.

As for the Glocks (the only one anyone's mentioned in 10mm, so we'll stick with that), the G29 is gonna be a real 'bear' if the G20 is a 'handful', so that limits it to a full size pistol, whichever G20 ya pick.

There's certainly more handgun variety in the .40, because it's popular. So if you're looking for a compact or sub-compact, definitely the .40 cal.

Ammo appears to be cheaper, based on previous poster comments. Cheaper means more shooting and/or more often for most of us. :thumbsup: For me, even during all the 'firearms fire sale' silliness, I just never had a problem finding .40 S&W ammo, either target / practice stuff or for SD. Maybe we're just luckier up in NWI? :dunno: If that's true, it sure ain't 'cause we're 'closer to Chicago'! :laugh:

I agree with Leo. Get whichever one you can hit the 'X' ring with 99.99999% of the time. In .40, I like the G23, as that size fits me 'best' for an EDC.

The only thing I can comment on, since I have only shot a 10mm once, is the time I shot it, it was a G29 and I really didn't think it was that bad to shoot. I was shooting my BIL's reloaded rounds (and yes he loads them hot) and though you know you shoot a gun it really wasn't to bad, as a matter f fact it made me giggle a little bit as I was shooting it (:D)

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I considered carrying a 10mm when traveling out of state, say in case I needed to shoot through car doors, glass or interior walls. However, after reading and looking at balistic data the 40 does just fine. I do use 165 or 175gn FMJ when traveling thats plenty.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The only thing I can comment on, since I have only shot a 10mm once, is the time I shot it, it was a G29 and I really didn't think it was that bad to shoot. I was shooting my BIL's reloaded rounds (and yes he loads them hot) and though you know you shoot a gun it really wasn't to bad, as a matter f fact it made me giggle a little bit as I was shooting it (:D)

I think that, because at the point I started shooting a lot more than just the typical newbie of putting a box of 50 through the gun once a month with the full size 9mms and .45s I previously had was when I got one of the first G29s made I have never really thought the G29 was bad to shoot at all. It's easier to shoot than my PPS .40, and a hell of a lot easier than the Kahr PM45 which was about the only pistol that just hurt me to shoot.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I love how in the .22lr self defense threads we have all the experts chiming in to say that you should carry the most powerful handgun round you can carry, but in these threads they are all curiously silent.

I'm not an expert on ANYTHING, but I'm one of those who thinks .22lr is a silly choice for self defense, and I frequently carry 10mm. The silence ends here.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County

It was developed for the FBI originally and I don't think they do much wild game hunting...

japcat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    10mm I have shot a g29 and it wasnt bad at all. You can buy a new barrel if you really wanted the 40

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have shot a friends Glock 20 and it was loaded with gold dots. I thought it was extremely controllable and was very pleasantly surprised. My little glock 27 with all of its snappiness was less controllable than when having that big gun in my hands. Just my thoughts. I may buy a Glock 20 in the near future.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I considered carrying a 10mm when traveling out of state, say in case I needed to shoot through car doors, glass or interior walls. However, after reading and looking at balistic data the 40 does just fine. I do use 165 or 175gn FMJ when traveling thats plenty.
    I'm not saying .380 is better or as good as 40 or 10mm, but even a .380 can shoot through auto glass or a car door without issue.

[video=youtube_share;FhfKSXWLNxg]http://youtu.be/FhfKSXWLNxg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;79CodjHFwVI]http://youtu.be/79CodjHFwVI[/video]

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    What can you guys get your cost down to out there who reload 10mm?? I am seriously considering buying a Glock 20 but I think I will have to reload to justify shooting it. But I've been wanting to take the leap for some time now anyways...

Top Bottom