• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Collin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    Probably a repeat of what you've heard already... 10mm has more performance potential, but 40 is more readily available and less expensive. In my experience, the bulkier pistol keeps 10mm controllable. Really you can't go wrong with well placed shots. I keep a Glock 29 in the truck for what it's worth.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    If you make a decision based on ammo availability from big box stores, you are doing it wrong. There was no ammo to be had at box stores recently as we all remember, but I was able to buy all of the 10mm ammo I wanted online. Limited choices in 10mm ammo? Last I checked (which is quite often) I can buy 10mm ammo in 135gr@1600fps, 150@1500, 155@1500, 165@1400, 180@1300, 200@1250, and 220@1200...loaded with Nosler JHP, Speer Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Hornady XTP, hardcast lead, or good 'ol TMJ. I'm pretty sure this selection far surpasses the .40 ammo selection. How much is a 20rd box of .40 Speer Gold Dot at Gander? $25-$28? A 10mm 50rd box of 165 or 180gr Gold Dot from Underwood Ammo Web Site - Home is $36. The big box store argument is a moot point. If you want the most versatility possible from a semiauto pistol, get a Glock 20 or Glock 29.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    10 mm is the only logical choice, follow my reasoning. !0 mm is like .45 magnum or something, plainly too large and powerful to carry everyday. Of course you must prove this to yourself by dragging huge pigiron in your pants and lots of one-handed shooting followed by carpal-tunnel syndrome treatments. After several disorderly conduct and indecent exposure charges from the 10 mm dragging your pants to your knees in public, You will then be forced to buy the .40 as per doctors orders (tax deductible as a medical expense!)

At this point you will be where you are SUPPOSED to be...... The owner of both guns instead of just one. Any other course of action and you can only loose.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    .40 would do the job in most cases, I carried my sig 229 in .40 to the sandbox last time. I had no problem stopping a Taliban with it. Despite the clothings they wore over there. Hell, he was like 20 feet from me. He tried to shoot me with his AK, but it was inside a close place, he didn't have enough room to get his AK up with table and chairs. I had no problem getting my sig out and shoot.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    .40 will do the job and its easyer to find ammo for and cheaper to shoot. id go with the .40, if you just got to have more punch, get a .50 ae

00tyo47983.jpg

:horse:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    10 mm is the only logical choice, follow my reasoning. !0 mm is like .45 magnum or something, plainly too large and powerful to carry everyday. Of course you must prove this to yourself by dragging huge pigiron in your pants and lots of one-handed shooting followed by carpal-tunnel syndrome treatments. After several disorderly conduct and indecent exposure charges from the 10 mm dragging your pants to your knees in public, You will then be forced to buy the .40 as per doctors orders (tax deductible as a medical expense!)

At this point you will be where you are SUPPOSED to be...... The owner of both guns instead of just one. Any other course of action and you can only loose.

I am glad you see it my way!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, many choices as long as it is .40...

The whole "bullets aren't made for 10mm" is a red herring and bad reasoning. I can say that with as much confidence as the above assertion because there exists no real data either way. If you want choices, the 10mm gives them.

I dunno, shibum-- watching TNOUTDOORS9 vids repeatedly and some others on YouTube suggests to me that you can overspeed some rounds and make them less effective. The jhps with huge cavities don't fare as well, and Underwood Gold Dots are jacket separating at 1300fps (180gr). XTPs seems to handle any speed, as do Noslers.

I think the versatility of the 10mm is the key. Bullet weights from 125gr Barnes to 220gr hard cast. Velocities mild or nuke.

I do prefer the g20 as I think it's the most versatile pistol you can buy. With a g21 upper and appropriate barrels for a g20 you can shoot:
    10mm auto
    .40sw
    .357 sig
    9x25 Dillon
    .45ACP
    .40 super
    .400 cor-bon
    9mm parabellum

i don't know of any semiautomatic pistol that is more versatile.

That said, a G20 is a lot more to pack than a g23. The weight, not the space, is the main thing.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I dunno, shibum-- watching TNOUTDOORS9 vids repeatedly and some others on YouTube suggests to me that you can overspeed some rounds and make them less effective. The jhps with huge cavities don't fare as well, and Underwood Gold Dots are jacket separating at 1300fps (180gr). XTPs seems to handle any speed, as do Noslers.

Oh, I'm not arguing that you CAN'T overdrive a bullet, just the assertion that no bullets can handle it. As far as the data goes, I stand by my assertion that no real data exists, since it doesn't. We can extrapolate from gel testing, but no body of data is around to say how it performs on a human target. All bullet design is that extrapolation since there are too many variables when it comes to self defense. This is why designers have gotten away from trying to engineer them to be one shot stoppers, to ensuring they are consistent over as wide a range of variables as possible. I am mostly making fun of the whole "this bullet/caliber is better than that bullet/caliber" argument because of those variables. It's kinda fun to watch the 10mm haters make their weak arguments. The only real argument for the .40 that can be made is that there are more choices in models of guns and many of them are smaller. If a smaller gun is my primary consideration then 9mm is a better choice.

Last edited:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne

I think the versatility of the 10mm is the key. Bullet weights from 125gr Barnes to 220gr hard cast. Velocities mild or nuke.

I do prefer the g20 as I think it's the most versatile pistol you can buy. With a g21 upper and appropriate barrels for a g20 you can shoot:
    10mm auto
    .40sw
    .357 sig
    9x25 Dillon
    .45ACP
    .40 super
    .400 cor-bon
    9mm parabellum

i don't know of any semiautomatic pistol that is more versatile.

That said, a G20 is a lot more to pack than a g23. The weight, not the space, is the main thing.
    Where are you finding 125gr Barnes loadings??

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

:rolleyes:......It (G29)......same size as the G30.......:):......an' it'll take same holsters......

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    If you make a decision based on ammo availability from big box stores, you are doing it wrong. There was no ammo to be had at box stores recently as we all remember, but I was able to buy all of the 10mm ammo I wanted online. Limited choices in 10mm ammo? Last I checked (which is quite often) I can buy 10mm ammo in 135gr@1600fps, 150@1500, 155@1500, 165@1400, 180@1300, 200@1250, and 220@1200...loaded with Nosler JHP, Speer Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Hornady XTP, hardcast lead, or good 'ol TMJ. I'm pretty sure this selection far surpasses the .40 ammo selection. How much is a 20rd box of .40 Speer Gold Dot at Gander? $25-$28? A 10mm 50rd box of 165 or 180gr Gold Dot from Underwood Ammo Web Site - Home is $36. The big box store argument is a moot point. If you want the most versatility possible from a semiauto pistol, get a Glock 20 or Glock 29.

:yesway:.......It'a out-do .45 Super.........only'st thing IMO, more badazz'd than full-house 10mm loads......be sumthin' in .460 Rowland (semiauto wise).....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    .40 if your practical, 10mm if you want cool factor. You know why most defensive 10mm ammo is loaded down? Because its overkill at full strength. Once you can reliably get 12-18" of penetration, there is little to no benefit from continuing to add penetration. There's no free ride in physics, add more energy to the shot, add more energy to recoil. Once you've got a load that works, all upping the load does is add recoil and muzzle flash...which is obviously not something you want in a defensive situation.

Buy the .40, use bonded ammunition, you're good to go if you do your part.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I LOVE my 20 sf glock. I was amazed how accurate I was with it. I heard all the stories of recoil, control issues, etc. I shoot it better than almost anything I have. I shoot the 180gr practice stuff but keep the 220 gr buffalo bore in it for personal protection. I'd never carry a compact version, but that's just me.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I LOVE my 20 sf glock. I was amazed how accurate I was with it. I heard all the stories of recoil, control issues, etc. I shoot it better than almost anything I have. I shoot the 180gr practice stuff but keep the 220 gr buffalo bore in it for personal protection. I'd never carry a compact version, but that's just me.

That was my experience as well. I carry a G21 with no issues, and shoot it as well as (or better than) any other handgun I own. I had the chance to try my hand with a friend's G20 a few weeks ago, and was expecting a real hand cannon. Much to my surprise, it was no more difficult to control than my .45, and my groups were just as tight. That sure had me wondering if I'd be interested in converting my G21 and playing around more with the 10mm ...

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    .40 if your practical, 10mm if you want cool factor. You know why most defensive 10mm ammo is loaded down? Because its overkill at full strength. Once you can reliably get 12-18" of penetration, there is little to no benefit from continuing to add penetration. There's no free ride in physics, add more energy to the shot, add more energy to recoil. Once you've got a load that works, all upping the load does is add recoil and muzzle flash...which is obviously not something you want in a defensive situation.

Buy the .40, use bonded ammunition, you're good to go if you do your part.

I'll agree with all'at........

Top Bottom